Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

May calls for a transition period.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-41355642

"PM Theresa May has said there should be a transition period of "about" two years after Brexit, during which trade should continue on current terms.
    EU migrants will still be able to live and work in the UK but they will have register with the authorities, under her proposals.
    And the UK will pay into the EU budget so member states are not left out of pocket.
    She hopes this offer, made in a speech in Italy, will unblock Brexit talks."

May wants to move towards an exit in 2019. May says they will honor their contributions to the EU of plans they voted in, in other words they will pay.

So much for all those people claiming the UK would pay nothing and want a hard and fast brexit at cost of no deal.

Farrage is already crying like a child about it, arguably its what he does best.

In other words, they still don't have a clue on how to actually accomplish it, so they want more time to think of something. Who would have thought that rushing into something with no plan whatsoever, might have been a bad idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

So...the clusterfuck that is Brexit remains clusterfucky and everyone continues to try to kick the can down the road because anything they do will likely be unpopular as hell?

Deleted
    Wish they would just respect their citizens vote and gtfo. Instead of dancing around.

Was a mistake to let them in. Charles de Gaulle was right about them.

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    Next brexit talk with EU is scheduled for monday, a Conservative party conference next month. maybe the conference is the real issue to define the stance on negotiations.

and to clear some fog: reality check by BBC on May's speech:
    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-41360901
    Last edited by ranzino; 2017-09-22 at 06:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    So...the clusterfuck that is Brexit remains clusterfucky and everyone continues to try to kick the can down the road because anything they do will likely be unpopular as hell?
    An article that came out shortly after the Leave vote (no link sorry) did put forward the possibility that exit negotiations continue indefinitely, so in 30 years the fact the UK is in the process of leaving the EU becomes obscure trivia, and in a few centuries the Brexit Negotiations are some sort of meaningless ritual like the opening of Parliament.

Edit - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_..._of_Parliament

Seriously read that shit and remind yourself this is how a modern government begins business in a 21st century democracy. Spoiler: it has a notice in an old woman's changing room that if she messes with parliament they can kill her.
    Last edited by Dhrizzle; 2017-09-22 at 06:37 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Actually, this is the first time May openly starts to lay out what they are going for, what is interesting is that this is the opposite what Boris has been claiming. The question is if she'll actually get support on this or not.

This is also the first time the UK government is being realistic, everyone with half a brain knew the amount of treaties that had to be dealt with it was near impossible to get it done in that time, especially with the infighting on the UK side that wasted a lot of time. Also them paying for what they voted for and respecting that is a good step in being forth coming of what needs to be done for them to transition out.

Anyway what May says and what happens can still be different. But hey at least there's some realism from their side.

Quote Originally Posted by Kotutha View Post
    Wish they would just respect their citizens vote and gtfo. Instead of dancing around.

Was a mistake to let them in. Charles de Gaulle was right about them.
    Please, Charles de Gaulle was just stalling UK entry until the CAP was set up. I mean, they needed help paying for it after all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    In other words, they still don't have a clue on how to actually accomplish it
    In yet other words, they buggered it up.

Who's predicting a hands-and-knees begging "let us back in" in the next...say, three months? Year? Never? Can/will the UK try to reverse the course, now that they've seen what it actually means?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post

Who's predicting a hands-and-knees begging "let us back in" in the next...say, three months? Year? Never? Can/will the UK try to reverse the course, now that they've seen what it actually means?
    The problem with that idea is, there is not a lot of support in the EU to let the UK back in. There is actually a sigh of relief now they decided to leave, since they were very obstructive and had a very special treatment package also.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    The problem with that idea is, there is not a lot of support in the EU to let the UK back in.
    Hence "hands-and-knees begging". If they actually want back in, there needs to be consequences.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    An article that came out shortly after the Leave vote (no link sorry) did put forward the possibility that exit negotiations continue indefinitely, so in 30 years the fact the UK is in the process of leaving the EU becomes obscure trivia, and in a few centuries the Brexit Negotiations are some sort of meaningless ritual like the opening of Parliament.

Edit - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_..._of_Parliament

Seriously read that shit and remind yourself this is how a modern government begins business in a 21st century democracy. Spoiler: it has a notice in an old woman's changing room that if she messes with parliament they can kill her.
    I saw that angle not in an article but in some cgp grey video.
    But I think that was only a possibility before invoking the exit article. After that, there is an exact exit date. I would have been an interesting development anyway ^^.

Globalism is just like entitlements, once you are in you can never get out.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-41355642

"PM Theresa May has said there should be a transition period of "about" two years after Brexit, during which trade should continue on current terms.
    EU migrants will still be able to live and work in the UK but they will have register with the authorities, under her proposals.
    And the UK will pay into the EU budget so member states are not left out of pocket.
    She hopes this offer, made in a speech in Italy, will unblock Brexit talks."

May wants to move towards an exit in 2019. May says they will honor their contributions to the EU of plans they voted in, in other words they will pay.

So much for all those people claiming the UK would pay nothing and want a hard and fast brexit at cost of no deal.

Farrage is already crying like a child about it, arguably its what he does best.
    Sounds reasonable, a one day to the other plan would be .. absurd. A transition is probably for the best, depending on the details.

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post

Nah. They'll kick and scream behind the scenes about how the dumb voters screwed them up so badly, but will still go ahead with it to appease said dumb voters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarkan View Post
    Sounds reasonable, a one day to the other plan would be .. absurd. A transition is probably for the best, depending on the details.
    Umm, that was the plan all the time; even a hard and cold brexit (without anything negotiated, when the time is up) was preferred once.

For the "let us back in" question: UK can, while still member of EU, cancel the whole thing; but not in the planned transition period. technically a re-enter deal, but then without any rebate and such and plz, use the EURO then...
    Last edited by ranzino; 2017-09-22 at 08:35 PM.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ranzino View Post
    Umm, that was the plan all the time; even a hard and cold brexit (without anything negotiated, when the time is up) was preferred once.

For the "let us back in" question: UK can, while still member of EU, cancel the whole thing; but not in the planned transition period. technically a re-enter deal, but then without any rebate and such and plz, use the EURO then...
    Well i am simply saying i find it reasonable and that a one day to the other plan would be absurd. For the reason that as much as i would prefer Britain did not leave i do not want them to suffer while they do. Other than pay the costs involved

Deleted
    She essentially said very little concrete in this speech, the trick of UK politics is to never take a position, if you take an actual position you lose. Shes tried to kick it down the road a few years as the Government still has no idea what its trying to achieve. So an entire year has gone by and we don't even know what our position is all to avoid a tory civil war.

There is only so long these Tory fucks can avoid the relentless onslaught of reality before it catches up, next spring is crunch time.

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarkan View Post
    Well i am simply saying i find it reasonable and that a one day to the other plan would be absurd. For the reason that as much as i would prefer Britain did not leave i do not want them to suffer while they do. Other than pay the costs involved
    that's nice of you, but one way or another britain will suffer. the transition plan looks like "UK acts like still in EU while technically out already", and that's nonsense. there has to be a cut and from then UK is on its own, no snowflake-ism allowed

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ctd123 View Post
    She essentially said very little concrete in this speech, the trick of UK politics is to never take a position, if you take an actual position you lose. Shes tried to kick it down the road a few years as the Government still has no idea what its trying to achieve. So an entire year has gone by and we don't even know what our position is all to avoid a tory civil war.

There is only so long these Tory fucks can avoid the relentless onslaught of reality before it catches up, next spring is crunch time.
    Conservative party converence is next month; i would expect some knives in the dark.
    Last edited by ranzino; 2017-09-22 at 08:51 PM.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ranzino View Post
    that's nice of you, but one way or another britain will suffer. the transition plan looks like "UK acts like still in EU while technically out already", and that's nonsense. there has to be a cut and from then UK is on its own, no snowflake-ism allowed
    Maybe i should say needlessly as in i dont want them to suffer needlessly :P