Poll: Would you like An Expansion Themed Around Alliance VS Horde Conflict

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    It'd be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Mcbenchpress View Post
    All that was great content. Alliance players were motivated to stop Garrosh's Horde and Horde players were motivated to fix the wrongs that Garrosh did. Along with the Arthas/Scourge arc, I consider all of MoP to the be the highlight of the Warcraft franchise.
    Yeah, it was really interesting, but it wasn't really an Alliance vs Horde story. It was an Alliance and Horde vs Garrosh's Horde story.

I wouldn't really care either way. I mean I would just go do quests where I kill orc NPCs that act just like say.. all the other NPC enemies in the game.. collect 20 things from an orc village instead of some other race village? Then in PVP I pretty much just run the same old BGs I have for decades... and out in the world I see 20 green names to every red one getting steam rolled because faction imba is insane in most server(even with CRZ) situations?

It would just solve everything.. I know..

15+ Year Old Account
    You mean like MoP was supposed to be Alliance Vs Horde? They already proved they don't know how to deliver on that theme.

Alliance and Horde conflict is tired. It's an inherited race war... a feud... it makes no sense and should go away. At the end of Mist the Alliance leadership said "We" do not want genocide. They left the Horde intact after SoO. In WoD each side kinda ignored each other and the only conflict was trashcan... I mean Ashran. Now in Legion Sylvanas does some shady shit in Stormheim and Genn stops her. Is it worth having a full blown War? I doubt it. More concerned with current Lich King, Old Gods, and Azshara.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    No fucking way. The worst idea since democracy.

A faction conflict between the factions that represent the players is ultimately pointless and leading nowhere. It doesn't add anything to the game.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tackhisis View Post
    A faction conflict between the factions that represent the players is ultimately pointless and leading nowhere. It doesn't add anything to the game.
    90% of the warcraft story and history is based around race conflicts and there war.
    If you think its pointless then you find alot of warcraft pointless what makes me think why did you ever start play this game at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Mcbenchpress View Post
    All that was great content. Alliance players were motivated to stop Garrosh's Horde and Horde players were motivated to fix the wrongs that Garrosh did. Along with the Arthas/Scourge arc, I consider all of MoP to the be the highlight of the Warcraft franchise.
    I didn't say it was bad. Just that it wasn't Horde VS Alliance material. It attempted to be and deterred really quickly because it just wouldn't work in-game like that.

No, nobody needs a solely "blue vs. red" centered expansion. The whole Warcraft setting has been about way more than that for a very long time now. To go back to those simple things would mean to greatly scale down and de-dimensionalize the scope of it all. The Alliance/Horde conflict is something that adds an additional layer of interest to stories that are built upon greater connections.

It would also be super-boring and not really exciting when you're older than 20.

I keep seeing two arguments whenever this topic comes up, and both don't prove anything.

#1) It's called WARcraft.

Ok...there's plenty of war in Warcraft without HvA. We have constantly been at war with rogue dragon aspects, old gods, fallen titans and the legion, and various groups that we always come together(in lore) to defeat. We spend more time fighting together than against eachother. Add in the fact that there's mercenary mode for battlegrounds, and free for all PvP zones, and I've killed or been killed more from my own faction in this expansion. You can have PvP without it being red vs. blue. Horde vs. Alliance has had the LEAST amount of war in WARcraft. Think about that before you claim war in Warcraft means HvA.

#2) It's the root and basis of Warcraft since the RTS games.

Another false point. Warcraft 3 was all about coming together and putting aside the differences between race to overcome the true threat. Saying that doesn't count because one game was Orcs vs. humans doesn't make sense. The game moved past that. Saying it didn't is obtuse. Again, we've spent more time fighting together than apart or against eachother.

There has never been that much of a faction war to begin with. And with merc mode and free for all world PvP, it makes less and less sense than ever before. And since it can never end for gameplay reasons, you get contrived story that can't go anywhere.
    Last edited by TurnUndead; 2017-09-23 at 09:09 AM.
    All in good time.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would rather focus on that conflict as the start for WoW2.

B O R I N G

You had Warcraft 3
    You had Warcraft 3: The Frozen Throne
    You had Mists of Pandaria
    You had Warlords of Orcnor

I am so damn tired of orcs and the horde.

I wouldn't mind seeing AvH at the start of the next expansion with some old god underpinnings, like faction leaders being manipulated into doing things they usually wouldn't, and an Old God end boss. The expansion would transition into fighting the Old Gods, but the faction tensions would be too high for them to just forgive each other.

The factions could be going after the titan blood in Silithus, believing that the other will use it for the wrong purpose, seeking to rule the world themselves. Perhaps C'thun is set free by the events, though, being titan-blood empowered and trying to influence characters like Sylvanas/Genn.

Nope. They should do away with both and all be friends

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    No because either you will make 50% of playerbase unhappy or 100% of playerbase unhappy with final outcome. SoO says hi.

The Alliance VS Horde conflict doesn't need to warrant its own expansion. They could make major patches like 5.1 where they both want the same thing (in that case dominating Krasarang for its resources) while at the same time a story is going that leads to new conflicts. Its a nice break of having to deal with the big bad guy every single time. But they should try to come up with actual conclusions, not leaving conflicts open like the forsaken vs worgen in both Gilneas and Stormheim. I'd say a good way to get the Alliance and Horde into each others hair again is with another revamp of the old world and continue the stories that were left, which also featured a lot of war between them. The one thing that keeps getting in the way is Blizzard trying to appeal to both factions, which also means that nothing major can happen like destroying a capital city or have an important Alliance/Horde character die without giving the other side any casualties in return. The outcry is overblown, and it has happened plenty of times in the past.

Deleted
    No, I hate when blizz tells me I'm supposed to hate the other faction, because after all the threats we faced together, only a moron would want to fight the opposing faction again.

The conflict made sense in warcraft 1&2 when the horde was mostly evil, it doesn't work now when both factions are good and want to save azeroth.

I mean what kind of role playing game is this where I can't even choose to be friendly with the opposing faction.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Literally the only thing that could make the lore interesting again.

So yes.

MoP explored why having a AvH all out war is a bad thing. Considering what we learned about Azeroth in Legion, the planets two main military factions fighting each other while a greater threat (the void) can still get their hands on our baby titan would be pointless.

Having a more cold war approach where it is just minor factions (such as in Legion with the Forsaken vs Gilnean conflict) is fine. Just not an all out total war like we saw in Cata and in MoP

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tromage View Post
    90% of the warcraft story and history is based around race conflicts and there war.
    If you think its pointless then you find alot of warcraft pointless what makes me think why did you ever start play this game at all.
    Except it is only really WC1 and WC2, and half of cata and majority of MoP that was focused on the faction conflict.

You had small conflicts such as the BG's, but they had very little to the story as a whole.

To say that 90% of warcrafts story is based around the AvH conflict is incorrect

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lucetia View Post
    In other words the Horde VS Alliance didn't work out. The expansion was centered at Everyone VS Garrosh. We had the patch where in Krasarang we had Horde VS Alliance, but that didn't even do anything. There were a couple things here and there and that's it.
    MoP didn't become everyone vs Garrosh until Garrosh's assassins tried to kill Vol'jin and after he resurrected Y'shaarj by destroying the Vale, and possibly all of Pandaria if left unchecked. (hence the first wing of SoO)

Deleted
    No, the whole alliance vs horde thing has been the weak point of wow since blizzard decided to focus on instanced PVE instead of world PVP. Also it is very stale.