Tips for explosive Affix?

So got my Ilvl up enough to jump into Higher M+. Like to do research on the affixes before I go into them. Right now US has Teeming + Explosive. I understand Teeming well through but not entirely sure on Explosive.

Is it true we can't target them with a Macro? And we can't AoE them down? Is tab targeting them wise or will this risk the "accidentally" pulling extra shit.

Any tips/advice appreciated.

Marksmanship btw.

I mean... Target the orb and shoot it?
    How do you usually pick a target?

As mentioned already in my post. Are we able to macro target it? Or are we only able to actually click target it. Does tab targeting work for it? Will our AoE abilities damage it? Reason I ask is I've seen dated posts months ago mentioning how difficult it is and that macro targeting won't work and AoE abilities won't damage it. Figured 5+ months down the road there may or may not made changes to it since then I should know about.

Obviously I will target it the traditional way if that is the only way allowed. But would be helpful to know for certain if name macro targeting it works for it.

And again, if there are any tips more seasoned Hunters can recommend for me going in for the first time with this Affix would be much appreciated.
    Last edited by sarym13; 2017-09-23 at 08:48 PM.

Deleted
    Windburst AoE effect works. That is really useful.

Other than that, arcane shot or let someone else do it as MM

you can't use a target macro, you can't aoe it. you have to either tab target to it (by then the cast is about done) or manual target (which is really hard on teeming weeks cause of all the freaking trash). when its paired with teeming, I skip that week. just not worth the effort.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by sarym13 View Post
    So got my Ilvl up enough to jump into Higher M+. Like to do research on the affixes before I go into them. Right now US has Teeming + Explosive. I understand Teeming well through but not entirely sure on Explosive.

Is it true we can't target them with a Macro? And we can't AoE them down? Is tab targeting them wise or will this risk the "accidentally" pulling extra shit.

Any tips/advice appreciated.

Marksmanship btw.
    I pretty much ignore them, when playing MM. Outside of L&L procs killing them is REALLY inefficient as MM. Only wasting one marking targets proc on a decently big pull costs like 5-10mil damage. But I mostly run with my friends so it's a lot easier for me. In general I ignore them, help out with some L&L procs if needed and only really focus them if one of my mates calls out, that they need help.

As for tips how to do them as MM if really needed. Well arcane shot works, but it takes multiple shots on higher keys and you waste a lot of procs. Aimed shot works, but the high cast time makes it not so great outside of L&L procs other than that we don't really have anything (not really counting WB, because of the cast time, high CD and long travel time). So if you're running with pugs or friends, who don't really bother doing them you're probably better of just speccing BM or SV.

TLDR: Ask other people to do them, a lot of tanks are really good at it and they generally don't waste as much DPS doing them. If not possible and you're on orb duty you're better off speccing BM/SV. MM is great on a lot of affixes (skittish), explosive is not one of them.

Edit: Pretty sure you can use target macros for them, but I really like that one particular weak aura that highlights the name plates of the orbs. AoEing them is not possible and a lot of skills are pretty weird when it comes to using them on orbs, multi shot for example.
    Last edited by mmoce193b9fd19; 2017-09-23 at 09:06 PM.

Go BM. 1 Cobra shot kills them if running WotC.

MM is bad for orb duty.

Quote Originally Posted by aceperson View Post
    you can't use a target macro, you can't aoe it. you have to either tab target to it (by then the cast is about done) or manual target (which is really hard on teeming weeks cause of all the freaking trash). when its paired with teeming, I skip that week. just not worth the effort.
    Have a melee or tank or your healer do it. This week is free.

That's the difficulty of this affix, that you can't target them with a macro or aoe them down. You can try to get closer to the pack, so you can more easily click the bomb. In general it's not really difficult and most of the times if you have a melee they will take care of it. But it's always nice to try to help.

what addon for nameplates are you using? tidy plates is kinda nice and you can see the orbs easily even in a bigger pull.

I wonder if you can configure your nameplate addon to show larger plates for units of a certain name. That might be a solution to easier targeting.

This WeakAura puts a graphic on Explosive Orb nameplates. https://wago.io/NyIGCeCnf

Deleted
    Only ONE TRUE TIP: ignore explosive. As MM you have no insta spells (despite arcane shot and deals soooo low damage to orbs) and also you have to be tabbing like crazy, losing your dps potentital.

So, as I said, only tip is go into good groups, with one melee+tank dealing with explosive and you doing your job, which is doing a fucking insane AoE dps.

If someone begins to tell you that you must focus orbs (only on certain situations you must do it), you can just leave that party because they are fully on retard mode.

I mean, sure, but even if you do have a dedicated Orb-killer in your group, you may still often need to assist them in brief, high-intensity add periods, and when that orb-killer is melee this applies doubly so.

Deleted
    Let the tank and melee handle it, in case it does hit the fan arcane shots work fine. Better to lose some DPS and kill orbs than snowball into a group wipe.

I still use TidyPlates and have them configured as a spotlight target, changing the color and size of Explosive nameplates.

Yeah did my first m+ on my hunter as MM last night and explosive was shit. I'm not very well geared yet on the hunter and sometimes it would take 3 arcanes to kill one orb :/