Page 36 of 52 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    This shit will never be balanced.
    There is only so much they can change per class before they make them all equal in terms of skill/tool set that they just give them diffrent names but the ability's do the same thing and are just put on a diffrently named class.

This is why this is boring as fuck to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by elprofessor View Post
    I read the idea before in this topic about a format that is more focused on the actual clearing times. Like all teams in the quarters are playing the same 3 "maps" with the same affixes each and the best 4 teams are going further. In the semis they could do the same thing like now (team vs team, 3 games, looser picks the next "map"), but the overall time of all three matches in the end matters.

teams should also be able to qualify with 6 people (5+1) to stay ready if an another team member is not able to participate.
    I like the sound of that. Kinda makes the one team vs the other redundant tho. Hm.

What irks me is that I feel like the whole process failed it's purpose in a way for each region to send the two best teams into the finals.
    Wheezing Harsies was imo far superior to Team Bigpull.

This imperfection is ofc redeemed by the fact that it applies to the other regions, too, but still...
    Last edited by Eggroll; 2017-09-24 at 01:37 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Yunzi View Post
    There are a couple key reasons to have region brackets.

1) Scheduling (I'll address your point on that below). Region brackets allow viewers from each region to view *their* region at a suitable time for their location in the world.

2) Marketing. This is a Blizzard-run competition. What Blizzard cares most about is not competition, but growing the Blizzard brand. By spotlighting their various markets it provides the best experience for the consumer, rather than (as you noted) crushing weaker regions under the heel of stronger regions.

As noted under "Marketing", the point is not to have the strongest competitors at Blizzcon, but rather competitors from each region, so that Blizzard's market share can be maximized across the various regions. While it would help Blizzard somewhat in Europe to do things as you suggest, it would hurt Blizzard considerably across Asia-Pacific and China. Blizzard has calculated that that's a poor strategy. They want viewers from Asia-Pacific and China to tune into Blizzcon, get hyped for their products, and to then buy their products.

As for a "taped" telecast, that's just not viable. Sportscasters have long known that viewers greatly prefer to watch something live than taped. This remains true even in these days of Tivo and the internet where people often enjoy watching at a time most convenient to them.
    1. Scheduling issues is kind of BS, since it's private realms, they can run them well in advance and then air them when it's both a perfect time slot for the match up.

2. You aren't going to grow the brand if you have an amateur competition. The showcase at blizzard will be a washout with both EU and NA dominating the other two regions and then eventually NA will get dominated by the EU in the finals. If you run a competition you run it so that the semis and finals have the strongest possible setup in terms of seeding so it keeps you on your edge of your seat.

3. Viewers wouldn't know it's live or not because Blizzard and the competing players would simply not mention that and then nobody would really know because they would think it's live. Yes watching live is always more fun, but a good competition that's not live > a shit competition that is live.. any day.

Not to mention sportscasters, the events are at venues which you can attend, so in that way it makes sense, but when the competition is essentially at home and contained, it wouldn't make a difference because the results wouldn't come out until it's aired anyway.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aladya View Post
    Except for the WoW examples, games usually have a way to force the less desirable specs/heroes/etc into the game. For example in Dota , you are able to ban 5 heroes(per team, 10 in total), there is a pick order and you can only pick a hero once per game(so only 1 hero and only in 1 team). While there were still heroes that dominated and had a 100% pick/ban rate over the years, this system always encouraged versatility and creativity.

While Dota has a 100+ hero pool, there are usually about 95+ picked in a tournament. WoW has a third of that, and it would be nice to see some diversity.

I actually don't see the problem with allowing players whatever comp they want and practiced with, but it will get boring in the long run.

Its an invitational which means they invite whoever they want, and this was in the rules from the start. Additionally, afaik Gingi's account is still banned, so yes the duration does overlap the event.
    There were more groups disqualified than Gingi's though, wasn't refering to gingi's comp.

Quote Originally Posted by Aladya View Post
    Except for the WoW examples, games usually have a way to force the less desirable specs/heroes/etc into the game. For example in Dota , you are able to ban 5 heroes(per team, 10 in total), there is a pick order and you can only pick a hero once per game(so only 1 hero and only in 1 team). While there were still heroes that dominated and had a 100% pick/ban rate over the years, this system always encouraged versatility and creativity.

While Dota has a 100+ hero pool, there are usually about 95+ picked in a tournament. WoW has a third of that, and it would be nice to see some diversity.

I actually don't see the problem with allowing players whatever comp they want and practiced with, but it will get boring in the long run.
    Sure, bans would be interesting, the teams have very little interaction as is already, basically the only interaction there is between the team is that loser picks next map, so there is very little room for counterplay. If you knew that the other team has a sick warrior but that he is a guy who can't really play anything else, just ban arms and fury, now you can talk about counterplay.

Oh nice, they added in healing meters (unless they did yesterday and I totally missed it).

Wow thats a pain to watch compared to yesterday. Hope there will be some good teams too.

Quote Originally Posted by lonely zergling View Post
    Wow thats a pain to watch compared to yesterday. Hope there will be some good teams too.
    twitch chat is on fire today, more than in all the days before.

Quote Originally Posted by lonely zergling View Post
    Zero wipes zero deaths yesterday. All teams were amazing yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by BrioWoW View Post
    Well we didnt see the top seeded team of a region wipe on non fortified trash's basic mechanics yesterday.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by BrioWoW View Post
    Not at all lol, the team with the palret was not impressive at all. Even if EU teams impressed me the most, some of them did basic mistakes yesterday. One war arms (Cerdi, I think) died twice yesterday on Harbaron's scythe. On another note, why teams aren't playing drood/dk tanks, who are superior in M+?
    Last edited by mmoc8d916160dc; 2017-09-24 at 05:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yindoo View Post
    Not every champ is viable in DotA Pro Play
    Now this is wrong.

There was an actual big tournament few months ago and one team decided to challenge themselves by not picking a hero twice so it's always 5 different every single game. They played 17-20 games (don't remember the exact number) like that. You know what? They won.

I'm agreeing with you that you can't balance everything ideally and there always will be most used ones, but that Dota example is just wrong. Heroes there are just too different from each other that you can't compare them when in WoW/LoL homogenization took over with everyone doing pretty much the same.

this is so bad

EU should've had like 5 of the 8 region qualification spots, US should've had 1, Asia should've had 1 and CIS region should've had 1.

It's embarrassing that EU were like 5 mins quicker in DHT 17 than these 2 EU teams lmao

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Floopa View Post
    this is so bad

EU should've had like 5 of the 8 region qualification spots, US should've had 1, Asia should've had 1 and CIS region should've had 1.

It's embarrassing that EU were like 5 mins quicker in DHT 17 than these 2 EU teams lmao
    Same goes for LoL: you can't appeal to a broader audience if you take the strictly better teams.

Haha this caster on nelts lair:"Im always confused about the layout of this dungeon, how did these mobs pass the worm. Guess there is a secret entrance or something". Hahaha are these casters even playing the game.

Quote Originally Posted by willemh View Post
    Haha this caster on nelts lair:"Im always confused about the layout of this dungeon, how did these mobs pass the worm. Guess there is a secret entrance or something". Hahaha are these casters even playing the game.
    You know this was a joke, right?

Deleted
    I don't know why the losing team picks sometimes very well known dungeons (NL here, HoV against raider.io yesterday). If you get crushed in blind pick you'll probably get crushed even harder in the most classical maps.

I'm sure the thought is that their best chance is to just do better on an often run map than to try to curve ball with a map that maybe they are not that great on.

I know NA doesn't care nearly as much about high end WoW, but I'm really surprised the teams that do seem to not even be doing the things that a lot of the top EU teams do to go faster. I'm talking things that were being done a long time ago that they would have had lots of time to practice as soon as the MDI was announced.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Floopa View Post
    I, too, like my international tournaments to be low on the international part
    Last edited by ItsTiddles; 2017-09-24 at 06:21 PM.

Retired Shaman
    Signature by Winter Blossom

Just so people know, your ban doesn't have to overlap the tournament to be disqualified. One member of my team had a 1 day ban in the past 6 months and is ineligible to compete.

If you've been suspended for any reason in the past 6 months, you aren't able to compete.

High Overlord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Atm it's like those Liechtenstein/san marino/luxemburg teams participating in euroqualifications

At least premonition showed up lol, recognizing some names popping up here and there aswell woho... aaaand the other team is running double monk. Premonition pulling out a fire mage, fun to see some other sh*t