Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    My friends and I have a fun theory that Amon from Starcraft is just a void lord from Warcraft, seeing as he's much more far reaching and powerful than say Yogg'saron, who is just a fragment of them. There are lots of comparable things, as have been covered in this thread, between the universes.

Quote Originally Posted by nyc81991 View Post
    I don't think that's the case. Blizzard is honestly pretty lazy and uses themes from their other IP's to fill in blanks. (Not that there is anything wrong with throwing in Easter eggs here and there though)

It has gotten a lot worse recently which is also why we have Demons using interstellar Spaceships with warp drives instead of Demonic magic and portals in a fantasy game.

There is something weird when the Scourge felt more "dark and scary" than a Legion of Demons and what is effectively the Devil of the WoW universe.
    Spaceships are in the game since BC, so not "recently".

Ofc it is reaching af, but in my headcanon, SC is WC4k

Blizz obviously drew on some of its other franchise, but ultimately Draenei and Protoss are very different.

Quote Originally Posted by Violent View Post
    Excuse me?

Just because you don't who I am, doesn't mean that whomever you are is somehow, automatically "better".

Are you the only to ever goto school in your land? Is it that "special" for someone with a Phd to actually think they're special?

You're not the only one who can goto college bro. I happen to major in Astrobiology. King me.

Not to derail the thread here, but I find it hard to believe that you majored in Astrobiology when you clearly do not understand the fundamental concepts of evolution. Evolution has no direction, and vestigial organs are present in all sorts of organisms (even humans). As the phrase goes "use it or lose it". Believe it or not, light sensing organs in cave fish are vestigial as they required more energy input to maintain them than the benefit that they received from them (no benefit because there is no light to sense). Thus the fishes who devoted less energy into maintaining these structures were more likely to reproduce/survive and you know the rest. Selective pressures are real, and once again evolution has no direction and theres no such thing as something being "more evolved" than any other creature, as we all come from a common ancestor and have been evolving the same time.

Blizzard just likes to rip off itself.

Deleted
    Blizzard like the style. So used Protoss to inspire Draenei?

Also in what way are the Space Goats primitive.. they have interstellar and teleportation technology

Quote Originally Posted by Atethecat View Post
    Yeah, come to think of it, none of the Legion really gives off the dark vibe I got from visiting Scourge-infested Northrend or even heading through Duskwood.
    Yeah, it's extremely off putting to me. An almost endless Legion of Demons and the Warcraft "Devil" should feel much darker and threatening. At least as much as the Scourge did. Instead it feels like a PG Alien invasion that has almost nothing to do with Demons other than them being called it name.
    Last edited by nyc81991; 2017-09-26 at 10:02 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Evolution is a series of "arms-races". Anything NON-advantageous, DIES OUT.
    Not entirely. It has to be detrimental to die out.

Quote Originally Posted by Fizrazz View Post
    Not to derail the thread here, but I find it hard to believe that you majored in Astrobiology when you clearly do not understand the fundamental concepts of evolution. Evolution has no direction, and vestigial organs are present in all sorts of organisms (even humans). As the phrase goes "use it or lose it". Believe it or not, light sensing organs in cave fish are vestigial as they required more energy input to maintain them than the benefit that they received from them (no benefit because there is no light to sense). Thus the fishes who devoted less energy into maintaining these structures were more likely to reproduce/survive and you know the rest. Selective pressures are real, and once again evolution has no direction and theres no such thing as something being "more evolved" than any other creature, as we all come from a common ancestor and have been evolving the same time.
    Evolution doesn't have a predestined result, but it does have a directionality that it has already followed. In the case of cloven hoof and toes, it has gone toes to cloven hooves, not the other way around.

Amon is a Void Lord.

The Overmind is one of the Old Gods.

The Xel'naga are..orcs.

The protoss are demons.

The zerg are also demons.

Everything I mentioned above are demons. No such thing as aliens cause they're all actually demons.

5th degree Freemason knowledge.

Nuff said.
    11/4/23 Updated power level -> Sargeras > Xal'atath > Void Empowered Azshara > Alleria > Galakrond > Iridikron > N'zoth > Jailor > Argus > Death Empowered Sylvanas > Lich King Arthas > Kil'jaeden > Archimonde > Illidan > Deathwing

7+ Year Old Account
    Lol people discussing real world evolution in a Video Game.....ha

But yeah could be plausible, could be because both universes were created by the same guy, could be the a shared universe, alternate timeline(s)

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Congratulations, you just found out about the existence of common genre tropes.
    Here some articles for you
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SpaceElves
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...yAdvancedAlien
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...SpiresAndTogas

Both Protoss and Draenei are basically Space Elves, technologically advanced race of mystical and spiritual creatures who travels through space in a cool spaceships and use magic crystal to get energy. They weren't the first, and they won't be the last race of this kind in a fantasy/sci-fi genre. And there is nothing bad in that. Space Elves is a pretty badass and cool trope.
    For Kaela Mensha Khaine!
    Last edited by Harbour; 2017-09-27 at 12:23 AM.

Deleted
    Wrong.

You don't go from, "Oh my god I can see!" To "Oh, now we're all blind" due to environmental pressures. Evolution doesn't go backwards. And Yes, 90% of advantages, are a "step-up" from an earlier advantage. That's how it works bro.
    Not really. If a characteristic is more beneficial for a species survival in a specific time and space (toes in our case), then this characteristic will predominate.

There is no "step-up" or "step-down", there are only dominant characteristics in a given time and space. Developing legs is invaluable to the frog but useless to the fish.

According to natural selection, a species which has a beneficial characteristic, based on time and environment, will survive over the species that doesn't. This characteristic can change. A good example is the UK black butterfly; it's dark color made it easy for predators to spot o they couldn't survive as easily as the light colored ones, but after the industrial revolution made the trees bark darker, the dark butterflies started surviving over the light colored. Dark color became beneficial as time and environment changed.

Point is, if developing toes is more beneficial to the Draenei survival in a different age and environment, then this characteristic will eventually be developed over the millenia and become dominant.
    Similar to how more and more children lack wisdom teeth; a useful characteristic a long time ago (a "step-up" for its time if you will) being eliminated because it's useless now, evolution and natural selection working together.
    Last edited by mmoc985e663195; 2017-09-27 at 01:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Miyagie View Post
    If you copy warhammer dont forget to copy warhammer 40k too.
    I don't like Blizz but that argument isn't fair.

GW paid them to make a 40k game and then they basically told them to fuck off so Blizzard morphed it a bit.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Would make sense.

Warhammer and Warhammer 40k have a ton of overlap. Not surprising that 2 franchise built entirely on the back of those would also hold similarities.

All I know is that I want dual wield bladed fist weapon paladins.

Draenei are primitive? They built a fucking spaceship.

I don't think Protoss are Draeneis' evolution, but both games share a lot of similarities.

Here's my theory:
    In the Blizzard's universe, there is the Light, which expands like an infinite sea. And where the Light fades, the Void is born creating a individual plane with its own magic, lifeform and consciousness.
    Light and Void are populated by entities who fight for their respective plane, and when the Light win a fight against the Void (which means that Light gets back the space where Void appeared), the Light entity restructures this part to fill it with Light.

This is what happened when Elune created the Great Dark Beyond for example.

But not every battles between Light and Void bring the same results.
    Like we saw with the making of the Great Dark Beyond, which is a physical plane, it has created another plane, the Twisting Neither which is an astral plane full of demons.
    We also see that the Void Entity doesn't give up on the space it has lost.

In WoW, the Light entity known as Elune created 3 lifeforms to fulfill its work:
    - the Builders aka the Titans, whose role is to balance the planets to welcome life.
    - the Breeders aka the Constellars whose role is to watch over the nascence of the Builders
    - the Soldiers aka the Prime Naaru whose role is to spread the Light magic on planets' lifeforms.

It works like Bees and Elune is the Queen Bee.
    The different features of the Great Dark Beyond's creation bring some changes: Demons tried to invade the physical plan. So Builders had to chase them and Soldiers had to spread into an army (the lesser Naaru) to fight Demons and the Void.

In Diablo, the Light entity known as God created the Angels as Soldiers (as far as we know we're not aware of Builders and Breeders) and the major problem is that the Astral Plane is strong and Demons can easily manifest in the Physical Universe and corrupt lifeforms.

In Starcraft, the Light entity created the Xel'Naga as Soldiers (as far as we know we're not aware of living Builders and Breeders) and the major problem is that the Void is
    strong, already corrupted a Builder when it still was a World Soul. This is the Zerg.

These 3 physical universes evolves with different parameters but we can say that they share traits.

WoW is not an evolution of Diablo, and Starcraft is not an evolution of WoW.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    People discovering 2017.

Starcraft and WC3 want a callback.

Yes there are similarities on purpose mostly, Cthun looks like the Overlord etc etc etc, Draenei look like Protoss etc etc.

It isnt new.
    WC3? Not really. Draenei were something completely different in WC3, the Draenei that are very obviously based on Protoss made it into the game in TBC.

Quote Originally Posted by The Darkener View Post
    WC3? Not really. Draenei were something completely different in WC3, the Draenei that are very obviously based on Protoss made it into the game in TBC.
    WC3 draenei were already Dark Templar.