Page 23 of 115 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Altrec View Post
    We will have to agree to disagree on the first part. I just don't see it working from a story telling perspective or even a realistic perspective. Sure, she shows a tendency to not follow the rules or orders, but in reality that is only going to fly so many times before she is put in the brig or removed from duty entirely.
    She is literally "starting" the show as someone who has been drummed out of the fleet. I'm not sure why you're hung up on this chain of command stuff.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    We will have to agree to disagree on the first part. I just don't see it working from a story telling perspective or even a realistic perspective. Sure, she shows a tendency to not follow the rules or orders, but in reality that is only going to fly so many times before she is put in the brig or removed from duty entirely..
    It's not like the whole plot is based around her been court martialed and used in that capacity for the needs of one captain...
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

i loved every Star Trek show or movies, regardless of quality, well except for the jj abrams travesties, and did have some expectations from STD after so many years passed since Enterprise ended. review: sometimes no star trek is better than this pew pew star wars/bsg mash up sci fi joke. sad to find that trekkie vibe in the orville and not in a show called star trek. but then again folks these days want action, explosions, war and conflict. dont really care about the skin colour of the actors considering star trek has always been an inclusive, diverse and progressive show, but why call a female michael? is that what goes as being progressive nowadays?

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    She is literally "starting" the show as someone who has been drummed out of the fleet. I'm not sure why you're hung up on this chain of command stuff.
    My point if you go back further in the conversation is that it isn't a viable focal point for the main character of the show. Previously it was mentioned by others that it is more interesting to have the show focused on a crew member this time rather than the Captain like in all previous shows. I just don't agree because there are too many hurdles for it to work or make sense. Having someone who has to ask permission or is possibly being vetoed on any decision is not workable in my opinion. Doing things on your own or against orders is going to end poorly for the crew member. As a lower ranking member of Starfleet or as a civilian living on the ship they simply would not have the autonomy to do anything of real consequence.

Now if the entire show is all about her interactions with people on the ship and drama it creates fine whatever. However, as a show with Star Trek in the title I'm more interested in the exploration and interaction with alien planets etc. than I am in a singular crew member with no authority to realistically do anything related to exploration and alien interaction.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't see why people are hating it. I liked it. Sure orville is better but they're both alright.

Quote Originally Posted by Racthoh View Post
    I don't see why people are hating it. I liked it. Sure orville is better but they're both alright.
    becuz we are individuals with different ideas and opinions. we arent the borg.

As for the second part you kind of proved my point. Star Trek V is widely considered to be bad. Long lost siblings that have never been mentioned in the previous decades makes for bad story telling. Sure, it would still be bad had Sybok not been his brother but that was just one more bit a cruddy nonsense on top of more nonsense. While it might be plausible that he saw no reason to discuss Sybok it seems less likely given his constant interactions with illogical humans to not mention his human stepsister.
    I had initially thought that Spock would've grown to adult hood and that Sarek had adopted Burnham after Spock left Vulcan. As it turns out Burnham might actually be a little older than Spock. This just seems a little weird now.

I don't mind that Sarek had revived Burnham with a mind-meld or that she was raised by Vulcans. It does seem a little out of place that she was Sarek's ward since she would've definitely grown up together with Spock.

Deleted
    I actually hate Orville (you know the good guys are gonna win, and the comedy is blah).

I like the Star Trek Discovery. I dislike the lady who plays the lead role, but I liked klingons, the effects, music and overall feeling and I would love to see Chris Pine appear in some crossover (if this is even this timeline, I'm not a hardcore fan).

Quote Originally Posted by Racthoh View Post
    The reason people dislike it so much is simple really, all that the fans wanted was a show that was a faithful to established canon and to take place further into the future again.
    That they created ENT as a show in the past was for me sorta okay as it gave more context to things talked about in other shows like the founding of the Federation, giving a reason for the TOS klingons and what started the Federation-Romulan war amongst other things, hell even a simple thing like brand spanking new tech called the transporter and its creator was good in my book.
    All in all CBS shot themselves in the foot they put the show in the past and not 50-100 beyond TNG/DS9/Voy, behind a paywall of their new streaming service, messed with canon that it neither fits into JJ verse and most deffo not in the Prime verse and as a cherry on top the fubarred the Klingons.
    Truth be told I am having more of a Trek vibe watching The Orville then with ST
    Want to play SWTOR again and get 7 free days of subscription access + free ingame goodies: http://www.swtor.com/r/d5LnJT

Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    I had initially thought that Spock would've grown to adult hood and that Sarek had adopted Burnham after Spock left Vulcan. As it turns out Burnham might actually be a little older than Spock. This just seems a little weird now.

I don't mind that Sarek had revived Burnham with a mind-meld or that she was raised by Vulcans. It does seem a little out of place that she was Sarek's ward since she would've definitely grown up together with Spock.
    Yeah, I'm not sure on exact dates but I believe Discovery is 10 years before the original series which would put Spock ~1 year out of academy on the Enterprise with Pike which would make him 24-25 years old for the start of Discovery which means that she is a little older and they would have grown up together.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    It's a shame that the theme tune is 100% forgettable. The only thing that one remembers from it is the old Star Trek melody they've incorporated into it. As for Sonequa being the lead, I'm personally fine with it if she doesn't spend 99% of the time with an expression on her face like she's got a ten foot pole stuck up her ass. Got enough of that in TWD.

Kirk, Picard, Sisko, Janeway and Archer all had their own special flavor of charisma, with this kind of either warm or even mischievous smile they could all draw upon when needed. I've never seen any of that in Sonequa in her time in TWD, and her character coming from the background she does, I'm afraid we'll have the first lead who unfortunately lacks any of that kind of charisma, and definitely can't pull off any kind of warm or mischievous vibe.

Janeway was an excellent example of how it doesn't make any goddamn difference whether you've got a female lead or a male lead. Personally I couldn't care less about the ship or it's crew - for me Star Trek equals the USS Enterprise - but as a series it wasn't at all bad. But, Janeway had charisma and she had authority. As did Sisko, as did Picard and as did Kirk. Even Archer at least had the charisma in the bag. I'm afraid SMG has neither.

There's a difference between a character being "strong" in the sense that they can withstand all kinds of trials and tribulations, and then having an actual strong leader type. A Trek lead should be the latter. I'm not convinced Martin-Green was the right choice here. Have to wait and see, I guess.

Although, Jason Isaacs does play the captain, so the dynamic is a bit ass-backwards with the captain being the supporting role. Who knows. He can definitely pull off the mischievous vibe.
    While agree with your critique of this show thus far, the first few episodes of ToS TNG DS9 and Voyager you did not see much in the way of that charisma either. It was developed over time during the course of the series.

With SMG, the problem that we are going to have with her charisma is that she spent most of her child years and most of her adult years training to be Vulcan. Sarek passed her off to Michelle Yo to help her build the best of both worlds. She will not easily get rid of the Vulcan attachment as that is part of her legacy and blood. So yea we are not going to see the same charisma as with the previous Captains, and that is a good thing as she needs to build her own. Give it time just as we have the others. Remember Spock as a pole up his ass all 3 seasons of ToS with only mild moments of humor.

10+ Year Old Account
    So I decided to wait till they all air at the end of February. Then I might subscribe for a single month and binge them all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by caervek View Post
    In fairness his nephew hadn't been born when TOS ended :P

And technically speaking it wasn't until the 2002 release of the Star Trek II directors cut that we learnt he had a nephew as that scene had been deleted from the original theatrical/home releases.
    The nephew is not what's important here. It's the sister.

As I far as I remember, the scene with Scotty entering the bridge with his dead nephew's body has always been in the movie. Though it is true that some scenes with him have been cut out from the theatrical release, but put back in 1985, as well as 2002 (according to Memory Alpha). It is also true that I first saw the movie on TV, by the end of the 1980's... Yeah, I'm old...
    Last edited by Frontenac; 2017-09-28 at 10:37 PM.
    "Je vous répondrai par la bouche de mes canons!"

15+ Year Old Account
    Just watched the first two episodes. I liked it, cheesy and childish, but entertaining.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Quote Originally Posted by Shedarion View Post
    I would love to see Chris Pine appear in some crossover (if this is even this timeline, I'm not a hardcore fan).
    Pretty sure they've said this is supposed to be the original timeline (that TOS, TNG, DS9, etc take place in). I wasn't paying attention to the dates and how they line up with the events in TOS, but I want to say it's intended to be like a decade before Kirk, so I doubt we'll be seeing him, Pine's version or otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontenac View Post
    The nephew is not what's important here. It's the sister.

As I far as I remember, the scene with Scotty entering the bridge with his dead nephew's body has always been in the movie. Though it is true that some scenes with him have been cut out from the theatrical release, but put back in 1985, as well as 2002 (according to Memory Alpha). It is also true that I first saw the movie on TV, by the end of the 1980's... Yeah, I'm old...
    Yes, the scenes with him carrying and crying over the body of that crewman were in originally. We just had no idea why he was so broken up over that death in particular until the release that included the scene where Kirk toured engineering and talked to Scotty and his nephew.
    Last edited by s_bushido; 2017-09-29 at 12:31 AM.

Deleted
    Someone mentioned leads face.

It triggers me so fucking much. Like I don't mean vulcan face coz it was perfect when she blinked to the ship, but actually her... idk... her face? her face-motion abilities? I don't know how to describe it, but she has the same face almost all the time and this face is so fucking punchable. I hope the new captain guy will have alot screen-time so I don't have to watch her all the time.

And she is human, right? Shouldn't like the remnant of sarek inside her (katra) for all this time, even if only a part, like... rip her mind or smth?

Quote Originally Posted by Shedarion View Post
    And she is human, right? Shouldn't like the remnant of sarek inside her (katra) for all this time, even if only a part, like... rip her mind or smth?
    Pretty sure the only reason that was happening to Picard was because Sarek himself had already lost control.

I've seen both this and Orville. This does not feel like Star Trek to me. Orville, the show merely based on Star Trek, feels like Star Trek. I dare you to see episode 3 and not be sold on it as a Star Trek fan.

As for this reboot... The cinematics look are high quality but overstuffed with visual overload. The new Klingons are terrible and just a slap in the face of any old Star Trek fans. People got married in those costumes. The lead character did idiotic things. A lot of plot didn't make sense. Don't even get me started on the Spock's Father stuff.

I wanted to like this, but I just can't. I only liked that coward alien, and even he they made much too one-dimensional for me to love. I guess I also liked that Star Wars admiral that came in for a tiny bit in episode 2.

Edit: I also don't like that this doesn't feel like the adventures of the Star Ship Discovery. This feels like the Tale of Michael. I'm not so much blaming the actress as the story telling. I think it could have worked a lot better if they had had a more classical intro where you had the actually had the ship and crew introduced, with Michael being someone like Tom Paris, that was a disgraced former officer, whose backstory is revealed throughout the series. Though I doubt it could have salvaged this series for me.

Prequel was a bad idea. The canon changes are a bad idea. Stomping down the promising fan initiatives for alternatives was a bad idea. And I don't feel drawn in by this story at all.
    Last edited by Caerule; 2017-09-29 at 03:10 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Caerule View Post
    The new Klingons are terrible and just a slap in the face of any old Star Trek fans. People got married in those costumes.

I think I need to bleach my eyes.

Anyways, why is the main character named Michael?! She is a woman.
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Discovery really seems like star trek for people who hate star trek