10+ Year Old Account
    its probably gonna be a one-game suspension multiple-game checks kind of thing, at most

Quote Originally Posted by Grube View Post
    I don't know if there is even a rule that Trevathan could have been ejected for. Targeting is a college rule, and it was his 1st penalty that would have qualified for the new ejection rule. Launching yourself into someone that is wrapped up is stupid. Not only does it put a player that is already tackled in danger, but his own teammates and himself. Adams started to go down after he launched himself, so he couldn't even see where he was going. That makes it hard to tell if it was meant to be helmet to helmet, but it was obviously meant to be a cheap shot of some kind. Hopefully he is suspended for a while.
    I remember reading a while back, when they instituted the 2 penalty rule, that the officials always have discretion to call a 1st time offense flagrant and eject someone on the spot. They absolutely could (should) have ejected him for that hit. That was some serious scumbaggery by Trevathan. Pereira is a good source for this stuff: https://twitter.com/MikePereira/stat...06994535243776

Unrelated, Tony Romo is really good at this whole analyst thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Espo View Post
    Pereira is a good source for this stuff: https://twitter.com/MikePereira/stat...06994535243776
    I wouldn't say Pereira is good at anything, somehow every time I hear him brought in to give his thoughts on a call that’s been challenged he manages to get it wrong.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    That pic of the whole Seattle OL laying on the ground in front of Wilson is hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by Vetali View Post
    If I was the owner of the bears, I'd march down and fire John Fox mid game. Completely gave up. Unacceptable at a pro level.
    "Get that son of a bitch off the field right now, he's fired. He's fired!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grube View Post
    I don't know if there is even a rule that Trevathan could have been ejected for. Targeting is a college rule, and it was his 1st penalty that would have qualified for the new ejection rule. Launching yourself into someone that is wrapped up is stupid. Not only does it put a player that is already tackled in danger, but his own teammates and himself. Adams started to go down after he launched himself, so he couldn't even see where he was going. That makes it hard to tell if it was meant to be helmet to helmet, but it was obviously meant to be a cheap shot of some kind. Hopefully he is suspended for a while.
    I wish you were kidding. This Is why football sucks now. When people like you have your way they'll be playing tag football.
    Last edited by SL1200; 2017-09-29 at 09:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Faltemer View Post
    I wouldn't say Pereira is good at anything, somehow every time I hear him brought in to give his thoughts on a call that’s been challenged he manages to get it wrong.
    Or maybe the officials were wrong? That's a bit overly harsh of a statement to make. He's the former VP of officiating. We can play Monday Morning QB all we want, but he certainly is good at it.

Anyway, not trying to argue over that--I respect your opinion, just humbly disagree. In either case, this is a pretty obvious one in terms of whether the officials can eject Trevathan. He's right--the rulebook says they can.

Quote Originally Posted by Vetali View Post
    If I was the owner of the bears, I'd march down and fire John Fox mid game. Completely gave up. Unacceptable at a pro level.
    John Fox is past his time. Dude is phoning it in at best.

Whatever good qualities the Bears may have is being dashed by shitty play calling, a check down/turnover prone giraffe of a QB (I'm going there damnit) and awful coaching.

There is no discipline on the Bears and I doubt a gameplan.

Trevathan needs to be suspended for that hit. Jesus Christ on stick, if that is not a dirty hit I don't know what is in this game.

Quote Originally Posted by SL1200 View Post
    I wish you were kidding. This Is why football sucks now. When people like you have your way they'll be playing tag football.
    Huge difference between flag football and launching head first at someone when a play is over. You can hit hard without using only the crown of your helmet. Everyone is taught how to tackle (that wasn't a tackle at all) in youth football, NFL players should be able to do that.

10+ Year Old Account
    what a crock a shit

I just youtubed the hit. The first angle seemed legit. Then I saw the other angles where it is obviously a spear to the head.

It was even nastier than this one I remember watching as a kid. https://youtu.be/I4OFFgS5BAQ

<3 Don Beebe
    Bandwagon sports fans can eat a bag of http://www.ddir.com/ .

10+ Year Old Account
    making head to head collisions ejectionable / fineable / suspendable will make players last longer and reduce concussions, which is absolutely essential. No one should want brain muddled NFL vets just because they like ot see hard plays like that.

As said, college already has that rule and you still see tough D.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Packers01 View Post
    Ya man, spearing someone with your helmet has always been a fundamental part of the game.
    Yes It actually was part of the game. They've ruined football. Tackling has all but been outlawed. If the players don't want to play, nobody is forcing them to. Quarterbacks shouldn't be lasting into their 40's and 50's. This no hit nfl isn't the one I grew up watching.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Read the article, that only goes back to 87.
    Jesus, this guy. I guess it's just coincidence that it didn't happen for 23 years then became a regular thing.

Yes It actually was part of the game. They've ruined football. Tackling has all but been outlawed. If the players don't want to play, nobody is forcing them to. Quarterbacks shouldn't be lasting into their 40's and 50's. This no hit nfl isn't the one I grew up watching.
    I implore everyone to watch at least the first video and remember what he's comparing it to.

Also, check out in the final slow-mo replay of the third video, see how the tackler makes a noticeable shift in effort to turn his head to the left so his shoulder is what hits the receiver?
    Last edited by ProphetFlume; 2017-09-29 at 08:50 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumboy View Post
    I'm not sure if you guys have noticed but sometimes I say things that are kind of dumb
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    I just like reading about the "vigorous rubbing" that might affect ball inflation.

1 game suspension max. Has no history, and at speed doesn't look as malicious as in slow mo. OBJ only got a game and his behavior and hit on Josh Norman a few years back was worse in my opinion. If this guy had a history like Burfict, Suh, or Matthews, I would say toss him out of the league.

Quote Originally Posted by Frunken View Post

I implore everyone to watch at least the first video and remember what he's comparing it to.

Also, check out in the final slow-mo replay of the third video, see how the tackler makes a noticeable shift in effort to turn his head to the left so his shoulder is what hits the receiver?
    Yea....I'm not sure what those videos are supposed to be getting at. None of those Doug Plank hits looked nearly as bad as what Trevathan did. They were all nasty, but they all looked like legit hits--nothing egregious like a helmet to the face. They were good ol' fashioned bell ringings that all of those guys probably walked away from without too much issue--they didn't put those guys in the damn hospital. Granted, the defenseless receiver ones are probably all penalties today.

But while we're on the topic of linking hits, I'll leave this here because I'm an Eagles fan and yea--everyone loves this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThlyRs2UKGY

10+ Year Old Account
    All of these hits are leading with the shoulder. We're discussing leading with the crown of the helmet.

Try again, but I'd prefer you not dig yourself a bigger hole.

Tackling is one thing, head-to-head collisions that place all players involved in DIRE jeopardy is another.

It is absolutely and monstrously disrespectful to diesire the players we are watching to be injured willfully. They are human beings before athletes and athletes before entertainers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sorry but in no world is that a spear, a proper spear leads with the shoulder into the chest or gut area with force. That was essentially a running headbutt on a guy who had no chance to defend himself because he was already held up.

I'd be happy to watch football and never see another hit like that again.

If we are going to talk about helmet to helmet spearing, then John Lynch should be mentioned.
    Bandwagon sports fans can eat a bag of http://www.ddir.com/ .

Obnoxious Patriots Fan Darth Belichick's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Did you also walk uphill both ways to school/work in the snow?

Leading with the shoulder =/= leading straight up with your helmet into another man's helmet.