Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Why did Argus have to be a ruined place?

I don't know about you, but before they actually gave the zone, I thought it would be like some advanced sprawling civilization full of Eredar power and fel - the NAthrezim world was described as quite the civilization.

I wonder if any of you fully expected Argus to be all ruins before the announcement and interviews that revealed it came? And why do you think blizzard did it that way? story direction? or the easiest thing to design for a patch cycle as opposed to an expansion cycle - face it, cities like Suramar aren't easy or quick compared to ruins - or did you expect their throne world to be fully ruined?

10+ Year Old Account
    did you expect demons to be neat and tidy and fel magic to be a healing type of magic?
    -Proffesional Necromancer-

10+ Year Old Account
    Why should anyone expect a world controlled by the Legion for thousands and thousands of years. Demons roaming all around the place practicing their Fel and demonic magic. Infernals walking around, so on and so forth. Of course it's going to look horrible to look at, it isn't really surprising.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Because Legion = Destruction

/Too short

5+ Year Old Account
    i think that their intention/direction for the place was just to fit the DESRTUCTION theme of the expansion.

Legion destroys all !!
    Its supposed to feel like an -abandoned- homeworld (with only small remnants of civilisation around .. hence our base is a giant spaceship).

If Argus was part of a bigger-expansion-idea then i think we'd see an advanced civilisation explored somewhere in there (like u suggest... theres only so much to put into a patch cycle). It totally could be expanded upon if they had the time/resources. There's some funky mutations on that place (like the talbaks) that are just ASKING for more story

Quote Originally Posted by digichi View Post
    i think that their intention/direction for the place was just to fit the DESRTUCTION theme of the expansion.

Legion destroys all !!
    Its supposed to feel like an -abandoned- homeworld (with only small remnants of civilisation around .. hence our base is a giant spaceship).

If Argus was part of a bigger-expansion-idea then i think we'd see an advanced civilisation explored somewhere in there (like u suggest... theres only so much to put into a patch cycle). It totally could be expanded upon if they had the time/resources. There's some funky mutations on that place (like the talbaks) that are just ASKING for more story
    yes in retrospect, now they've shown it this way, but it could easily have been quite the spectacle. The black empire was all destruction and void but it had a majesty to it from the pictures. The Nathrazim homeworld was described as been quite the spectacle, an advanced world. Sargeras is off to destroy the void though,did argus need to look like a ruined civilization? Aren't they employing it?

one thing is clear though, this is how Azeroth could have looked after they'd had there way with it, but I never expected their seat of power to be so shabby.

Why did Argus have to be a ruined place?
    To justify horrible terrain.

10+ Year Old Account
    I expected there to be more Eredar architecture, but I guess it makes sense that after 25k+ years it'll all have crumbled

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by EnigmAddict View Post
    yes in retrospect, now they've shown it this way, but it could easily have been quite the spectacle. The black empire was all destruction and void but it had a majesty to it from the pictures. The Nathrazim homeworld was described as been quite the spectacle, an advanced world. Sargeras is off to destroy the void though,did argus need to look like a ruined civilization? Aren't they employing it?

one thing is clear though, this is how Azeroth could have looked after they'd had there way with it, but I never expected their seat of power to be so shabby.
    Like I said, it's supposed to look lifeless(Mostly) and destroyed. I mean if it was only a few years it might of been different but ten thousand years+? No way in hell would it look nice.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

It is a little bit odd. Yes, the Legion wants to destroy all life so the Void can't, but you'd think their base of operations would be a bit more technologically advanced. I also found it a bit odd that Mac'Aree seems to be mostly untouched by the Legion, despite the fact that we learn the Man'ari Eredar had hunted down the Draenei there ~25,000 years ago.

Since it has been thousands of years, it does make sense also that the planet has been warped beyond recognition. Especially due to their treatment of the world-soul of Argus.
    3 hints to surviving MMO-C forums:
    1.) If you have an opinion, someone will say that it is wrong
    2.) If you have a source, there will be people who refuse to believe it
    3.) If you use logic, it will be largely ignored
    btw: Spires of Arak = Arakkoa.

Deleted
    it looks more or less like i expected, just the scale feels to small.

look at hellfire peninsula, the road is huge, the fortifications are huge, warmachines are huge, and there are large desolate swaths of dead land in between.

argus ship foundry is just a dock for two ships. their infernal foundry is somehwere in a corner im sure most people dont even notice it. i dont think there is a fel reaver foundry, etc.

now i get it, the legion is chaotic so they probably have thousands of small foundires all over, but running through antoran waste i dont think this is the heart of the legion. i mean the freaking entrance bridge to antorus itself isnt even big enough for a large demon/titan avatar. and from the looks of it say lei shens palace has better fortifications then antorus.
    Last edited by mmoc982b0e8df8; 2017-10-03 at 03:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Destinas View Post
    I also found it a bit odd that Mac'Aree seems to be mostly untouched by the Legion, despite the fact that we learn the Man'ari Eredar had hunted down the Draenei there ~25,000 years ago.
    Dude did you LOOK at the skybox, the city is huge and is in pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by Army Dreamer View Post
    or rather quickly designed terrain. easier than building a fully fledged civilization.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aquinan View Post
    Dude did you LOOK at the skybox, the city is huge and is in pieces.
    oh yeah, I noticed that, it's so weird to see that in wow, kinda nice though, gives you a feel the place and world is much much bigger.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    Like I said, it's supposed to look lifeless(Mostly) and destroyed. I mean if it was only a few years it might of been different but ten thousand years+? No way in hell would it look nice.
    I get that it is supposed to look lifeless, but only now that I've been there (actually since the developer first talked about it last blizzcon), the question is why, it could easily have gone the other way, probably development time?

I was expecting citadels, fortresses, roads and cities, all tinged in fel. I did not expect a ruined landscape, just fractured rocks and dirt, which is what 90% of Argus seems to be.

Why did the Eredar/Legion destroy their own capital? It's just stupid.

10+ Year Old Account
    Anyone who thought it would be intact doesn't know the lore. That said....I was hoping we would at least get SOME sections of it that weren't completely tainted. It would have been awesome to see a larger chunk f the world than what we got and not just a fel wasteland.

Quote Originally Posted by Army Dreamer View Post
    This is probably the actual reason. lol

I think the OP is right that there can be a kind of majesty even in horror and destruction. But I guess the Legion really just are as one-dimensional as Bam Bam from the Flintstones.

I wonder if any of you fully expected Argus to be all ruins before the announcement and interviews that revealed it came?
    Yes, I did. To be honest, I expected it to be even more ruined. Considering regions like the Broken Shore that are already full of puke-green fel crap even though the Legion has been there for a rather short time, I would expect Argus to be in a similar state, especially considering they have been there for 25.000 years.
    I said it before anything regarding Argus was known, but anyone expecting vibrant landscapes full of green grass was in for a disappointment.

Deleted

The black empire was corruption not destruction, you need to look at the goals. The legions goal is to end all intelligent life to "save" them from the void. Hence they destroy things. As far as we have seen from the warlock and demon hunter quests smashing planets and bringing them into the neither seems like what they do by routine.

The old God's of the black empire to want to destroy well not azeroth and not yet. They want azeroth corrupted into a void titan then wipe out all of creation.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Littleraven View Post
    Anyone who thought it would be intact doesn't know the lore. That said....I was hoping we would at least get SOME sections of it that weren't completely tainted. It would have been awesome to see a larger chunk f the world than what we got and not just a fel wasteland.
    Have you been to macaree yet?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    I was expecting citadels, fortresses, roads and cities, all tinged in fel. I did not expect a ruined landscape, just fractured rocks and dirt, which is what 90% of Argus seems to be.

The legion destroys. And places no value in building except to facilitate further destruction. Why would they want a capitol city? Or any city? When there single purpose is to destroy

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post

The legion did not destroy their own capital. Argus was the Eredar capital, and since the Eredar did not wholly give themselves to the legion; the legion had to invade; thus the devastation. Then, because the legion is the legion and have zero issues leveling places before conquest; most of Argus was destroyed. Then; following those years; the army of the light continued attacking as well as the (now broken) resistance continued to fight back; the planet was not just acquired by the legion quickly; they had to purge resistance pockets and then corrupt the planet itself.

This is why most of the planet is in ruins. The areas where there was least resistance (such as mac'aree) are more or less intact and reflect more what OP (i think) wanted/expected to see. The old Eredar cities; twisted and corrupted by Fel (Velen comments on this on arrival to Mac'Aree too).

After multiple tens of thousands of years of being a battleground and muster point for the legion; I was actually more surprised that places like Mac'Aree existed at all than I was to see wastelands. I fully expected the entire planet to be a green tinted hellscape. I accept Mac'Aree and like places being in the condition they're in as a sort of comfort tool offered to the Man'ari that joined the legion and nothing more. Had the Eredar resisted entirely and the legion conquered the planet proper- I would expect the whole thing to resemble Mardum.
    Last edited by AcidicSyn; 2017-10-03 at 04:08 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sangris View Post
    Yes, I did. To be honest, I expected it to be even more ruined. Considering regions like the Broken Shore that are already full of puke-green fel crap even though the Legion has been there for a rather short time, I would expect Argus to be in a similar state, especially considering they have been there for 25.000 years.
    I said it before anything regarding Argus was known, but anyone expecting vibrant landscapes full of green grass was in for a disappointment.
    It's always funny to apply real-world logic to world design decisions in video games that were simply taken because they make for an epic and cool-looking world, not a plausible one.

I mean, Argus was conquered by multiple races of demons (aliens) under what we might call a unified government. Yeah, so that government is basically a dictatorship, but if you can build warp-capable spaceships AND live in a world with magic that you also have command over, I claim it's a safe assumption that these demons live in a post-scarcity civilization.

So they've conquered Argus. Let's say that, for arguments sake, they had to bomb the entire planet back to the stone age. 25,000 years ago. I presume they invaded the place because they want to live there. Yet it still looks like the invasion ended just yesterday even though 250 centuries have passed.

So either the demons are constantly at war with each other, but there's plenty of evidence to the contrary. Or there's a plot hole a big as the void itself.

Many German cities were completely devastated after WW2, I'm talking 95% of buildings uninhabitable. It took less than 30 years to almost completely rebuild Germany. So these demons with an empire of however many thousands of planets at their back can't rebuild Argus a thousand times over during those 25k years?

Actually, since the place is kind of wrecked anyways (huge chunk missing), why didn't they just strip mine it for anything they can use and build a cloud of giant habitats out of it? Or, you know, put up a fence so people don't accidentally fall into the planets' core.

And since I've already gone off on this kind of tangent I HAVE to mention Isaac Arthurs YT channel. Guy does amazingly nerdy videos on this kind of futurism: