Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Always been an Illidan fan.

like some ppl said...he always was a douche kinda and overall antihero of Warcraft story. To me for sure one of the best story arcs in Warcraft with an satisfying conclusion.

I'm def glad they retconned his end of the TBC expansion, cuz after reading War of the Ancients trilogy, plus Warcraft 3 his "death" in TBC was kinda a let down. And his refusal of the Gift was one of the best cutscenes in WoW, cuz if they made him take the Gift that would be so out of his character and totally ruin his storyline.

Deleted
    Legion (the expansion) made me like him.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    I never liked him, not even in WC3. Hes pretty tropey and awful, and always was.

Though, lately, i really think Blizz is just throwing darts at a board covered with printouts from TVTropes to create their stories.
    You only noticed that recently?

I've disliked Illidan since WarCraft III, to the point I was actually surprised to learn he has as many fans as he does. I always thought he was meant to be a detestable character. Even someone like, say, Arthas may have been an absolute asshole, but at least he was a successful asshole. Illidan is an arrogant douchebag, despite the fact that he either constantly fails at what he sets out to do, or anything he does actually accomplish ends up having severe repercussions for him and/or those around him.

From what I've heard about how he is in Legion, I now hate him (and his fans) even more.
    "Go back...I just want to go back...!"

Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post
    Now we're supposed to be cool with having this guy around just because he's an extra ally against the Legion (he's not as necessary as he makes out to be), we were defeating the Legion more than fine without him.
    Okay sorry but you said something really stupid and this is common knowledge at this point so, if you hate spoilers stop reading until the next paragraph. Illidan becomes the jailer of Sargeras for all eternity at the end for the Antorus raid. He literally defeats the legion. Just like he literally (not you and your buddies) literally defeated Gul'dan, only you never fight Sargeras anyways.

I don't really like the character because he's very 2 dimensional and not well written, but your feeling that he's not important is the bad writing, not because he is not literally being the only reason we can defeat the Legion. Don't forget we can only go to Argus because of him.

I'd say worse thing about this character in this expansion is the inclusion of the Illidari as this faction that is our only hope to defeating the Legion, and they keep reminding you of that, but the faction itself never does anything. Blizzard utterly dropped the ball with them 100% and a lot of that is that they didn't in anyway really include Illidan as a part of that or feature them working together. Nothing. But yay shitty class mounts!
    Last edited by Shakou; 2017-10-04 at 06:50 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    He's cool, one of the better characters in this mess. Glad they didn't go the Jesus rout with him.

Overall I'd say he had the best story moments in Legion, a shame the story was carried by the Cinematic team alone.

He went up in my estimation by killing that retarded Christmas tree ornament who was forcing her will on to him over some bullshit prophecy!

Plus the way he takes Valen to task on the Vindicaar by saying he was a pussy for running away and putting his faith in the light when he shouldve made a stand.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Triggered Fridgekin View Post
    I'm willing to bet that IF we do get a Void-focused expansion that Locus Walker will become the new defacto book of knowledge/story mechanic and Khadgar will go chill out in the Karazhan library for a while.
    More likely Dalaran as he's the leader of Kirin Tor now. But yes, I'm sure Locus Walker will be our new dad.

Quote Originally Posted by Achilles55 View Post
    I generally think retconning lore and changing a bunch of stuff long after the fact is annoying. That being said I've loved Illidan since Warcraft 3 and still do today.
    well, TBC was the odd move for Illidan, I think that just happened cos they wanted a villain, and a popular character to laucn hteir expansion and start telling a story again, remember before TBC wow actually didn't tell a story, it was just a bunch of quests to let you experience the world Warcraft the RTS games were set in. It's because it was so hugely successful they decided that WoW would now drive the franchise forward and started telling a story again with TBC.

Illidan was picked because of his impact and popularity and his anti-hero naturemade it possible for him to transition into a villain, but his saving grace is that Illidan hardly did anything in TBC, we never see him do stuff like we saw Arthas or Deathwing later, we see more of Kael'thas' evil first hand than we ever saw Illidan's , as a consequence they could re-interprete the events of TBC without it really being a retcon.. also I notice people struggle with understanding characters that aren't clearly black and white..henceIllidan is hard to get and mistaken to be retconned.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Magistrate View Post
    Illidan is like over ten thousand years old, empowered by Sargeras and Gul'dan's essence, and was one of the most powerful mages to come out of the ancient kaldorei.
    He was wounded (severely) by Arthas and later defeated by Maiev and Akama. It hasn't been so long since then (and he hasn't been doing a whole lot, on account of being imprisoned) that his power should have grown at a rate he could destroy the Prime Naaru and deal with the most powerful (known) Paladin in the universe so trivially. That whole scene was a ridiculous power leap for Illidan.
    Last edited by mmoc4359933d3d; 2017-10-04 at 12:54 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Illidan is still cool. He was more cool before, but he still holds it up.

His characters is currently lacking, but that is really nothing to do with coolness.
    May the lore be great and the stories interesting. A game without a story, is a game without a soul. Value the lore and it will reward you with fun!

Don't let yourself be satisfied with what you expect and what you seem as obvious. Ask for something good, surprising and better. Your own standards ends up being other peoples standard.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by EnigmAddict View Post
    You may never have liked him, but if you did, or thought he was cool, do you still think so now after all that's gone down?
    Yes, he is still cool. My favorite character since WC3. Would've disliked if they went further and had him reforged in light or something stupid. Thanks blizzard for not ruining him.

Quote Originally Posted by Valarius View Post
    He was wounded (severely) by Arthas and later defeated by Maiev and Akama. It hasn't been so long since then (and he hasn't been doing a whole lot, on account of being imprisoned) that his power should have grown at a rate he could destroy the Prime Naaru and deal with the most powerful (known) Paladin in the universe so trivially. That whole scene was a ridiculous power leap for Illidan.
    I don't seem to see anything he's done that would necessarily make him a demigod, and my original points still stand.

I was annoyed at his return, and it got really bad with Xera constantly talking about how awesome he was, and how dumb I was for trying to kill him. I couldn't stand him as a character this expansion at that point. BUT THEN when his moment came and he gave his speech, and blasted Xera, I was like hell yeah, that's the Illidan I wanted. And I was happy he back.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post
    He's cool, one of the better characters in this mess. Glad they didn't go the Jesus rout with him.
    Did you miss the part where he was resurrected to be our saviour?

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    Did you miss the part where he was resurrected to be our saviour?
    And then told that destiny to fuck off.

Never understood why anyone liked him.

Quote Originally Posted by Valarius View Post
    He's a hypocrite and a douche. He's also the new Purple Jesus... Like, really, Blizzard can't do "central" characters without making them retardedly overpowered for some reason; dude stopped a greatsword made of light swung by a 1000+ year old Paladin with one hand. OK.
    Well, he's a 10,000+ year old Demon Hunter, so... checks out in my book. He's a very powerful character, not to mention wise. In many ways more wise than 25,000+ year old Prophet Velen, as evident by our recently acquired knowledge of the Void and the Light which Illidan seem to have figured out long ago.

He seems like one of the more badass characters in the lore still alive, for sure. Of course that is badass in the context of the Warcraft franchise, where things shouldn't be taken too seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Pull My Finger View Post
    Never understood why anyone liked him.
    cos he was cocky in a charming way, and not your usual goody goody two shoes night elf all virtuous and humble. Perfectly serene in peace and perefectly fearsome in battle always doing what was the the corret or smartest thing - something you expect of a 10k year old ancient who's seen and lived it all from heights far above everyone else around them (save perhaps the draenei from TBC) to depth the lowest amongst them have experienced. Illidan doesn't fit that mould at all, he's flawed, he makes mistakes, but he also gets the job done when most of the time the night elves are being etiher too sympathetic (well the druids anyway), it's a nice contrast to the druidic persona. I guess the sentinels are a bit more like that.