Page 1 of 15
... LastLast

Video of Utah man shot in back and killed while running from Police

Thoughts? NSFW

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...was-justified/

Authorities in Salt Lake City have cleared a police officer in the fatal shooting of a man who ran after being stopped on his bicycle, an incident caught on police body-camera video that was released this week.

The ruling comes after a month-and-a-half-long investigation into the Aug. 13 shooting. Police say they stopped Patrick Harmon, 50, on State Street near downtown Salt Lake City because he was riding his bicycle erratically and did not have a red rear light. The district attorney of Salt Lake County, Sim Gill, said in an interview that the use of deadly force was legally justified because Harmon was armed and turned back to lunge at the officers while running away.

After finding that Harmon had multiple open arrest warrants, including one stemming from a felony aggravated assault charge, the officers informed Harmon that he was under arrest. That is when he ran, according to a police body-camera video.
    Last edited by chaud; 2017-10-09 at 06:39 PM. Reason: Don't embed NSFW videos

Just do as the police says. That's what I think. Don't do stupid shit.

Authorities in Salt Lake City have cleared a police officer in the fatal shooting of a man who ran after being stopped on his bicycle, an incident caught on police body-camera video that was released this week.

The ruling comes after a month-and-a-half-long investigation into the Aug. 13 shooting. Police say they stopped Patrick Harmon, 50, on State Street near downtown Salt Lake City because he was riding his bicycle erratically and did not have a red rear light. After finding that Harmon had multiple open arrest warrants, including one stemming from a felony aggravated assault charge, the officers informed Harmon that he was under arrest. That is when he ran, according to a police body-camera video.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...was-justified/

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Couldn’t they tried to catch him or were they lazy

Deleted
    How about you don't run.

Not running or disobeying: Damn near impossible it seems.

Like isn’t there other methods than execution

10+ Year Old Account
    Pants up don't loot.

he ran got shot, don't see a problem here

Quote Originally Posted by Jimusmc View Post
    So we kill people for running now.

Straight murder.

Listen to the police or get shot, how hard is it to understand? No one is going to out run a bullet.
    And I saw, and behold, a pale horse: and he that sat upon him, his name was Death; and Hades followed with him. And there was given unto them authority over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with famine, and with death, and by the wild beasts of the earth.

10+ Year Old Account
    The man had a violent criminal record and pulled a knife on them as he turned... According to the article he even yelled he was going to stab the officer.

Not much to discuss. Justified shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by NoRest4Wicked View Post
    Listen to the police or get shot, how hard is it to understand? No one is going to out run a bullet.
    He shouldn’t of run, but he officers should of tried to chase him down or tapered him

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    The man had a violent criminal record and pulled a knife on them as he turned... According to the article he even yelled he was going to stab the officer.

okay didn’t hear about the knife

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, he clearly was having the intend of fleeing once told there was already open cases on him. Then he attempted to run from armed law enforcement, whom had just been informed of multiple felony charges on the man, among them being assault. He wasn't innocent, just stupid.

Just enforce a stupid non-lethal law already, tiresome to see people going full defense because a criminal tried fleeing.

He ran, was stupid, he was shot, sadly they might not have other methods. A spray is useless in a chase. And I did hear warnings, they covered theirs.

Could they have stopped him with a tackle? Maybe, but then someone would claim assault.

Could they have stopped him with a throwdown? Maybe, but then someone would claim assault.

Could he have stopped when arrested, yes, he could and should.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Umm, I am a "comply, dont die" believer. But uhh....this was in no way justifiable. Man was back turned and running he was not reaching was not posing a threat. Non compliance should not equal death just because you didnt listen.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jimusmc View Post
    Felony evasion is not a capital offense. He was not posing a threat to officers either. If a man broke into my home, and I shot him while he was running out, I am a murderer. I live in a castle state as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post

Well if this is true, I can change my opinion. But I dont see that in the video.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

Like I always state in these matters, if only the criminal had listened to the police officer's lawful command they would probably still be alive today.

Quote from his niece.
    “They just murdered him flat out,” said niece Alisha Shaw. “He was only trying to get away.”
    She thinks it is okay to run from the police apparently.

7+ Year Old Account
    You know, I'll stand behind the police when they're facing an armed suspect and/or fear for their lives, but there was no way in the few seconds from him taking off and them shooting did he have time to stop and threaten them with a knife. That said, I wasn't there. However, if a suspect is running, the best course of action is a taser. Shooting someone who's running is a blatant violation of basic human rights.

Quote Originally Posted by Miyagie View Post
    Straight murder.
    Literally not murder.

the unlawful premeditated killing of one human being by another.

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Well, he clearly was having the intend of fleeing once told there was already open cases on him. Then he attempted to run from armed law enforcement, whom had just been informed of multiple felony charges on the man, among them being assault. He wasn't innocent, just stupid.
    Yeh sorry, thats not how our justice system works.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by Under Your Spell View Post
    Just do as the police says. That's what I think. Don't do stupid shit.
    While yes that applies, in this case there was NO imminent threat and the guy had no weapon and posed next to zero threat. Someone who runs from a routine police stop is not subject to death for running. The guy was obviously upset and scared, he panicked and ran. That is not reason enough to kill him. Chase and taser him, etc.