Poll: If you could design Legendary system...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Well the old way of having a legendary that you got in the last tier, and you had to farm for was pretty useless. Did this on my rogue with the fangs and I got them the week after we cleared the raid, so all they were good for was farm and leveling next expansion. I kinda like how legendaries are now with the exception of how rng they are to get the one you want. Just having some form of Token drop that allows you to choose your legendary from a vendor would be perfect.
    Last edited by Nospmas; 2017-10-08 at 03:45 AM.

A currency you could get exactly the sameway you can get leg right know. You only can get xxxx per week at that ammount is the same ammount the leg cost if you grind you can get all the legos in x weeks as the expantion go on you can get the currency faster because there is more raids to zerg and more way to get the currency

I preferred the first system, but I'd even prefer the cloak/ring system over this. People are running around with bags full of legendaries and are buying them off the AH. What a joke.

The problem with legendaries is that if you give them to everyone, they lose a lot of their legendary status. Orange is the new purple.

The problem with legendaries if you only give them to a select few people, then most of the fun and cool factor of them isn't experienced by a vast majority of the playerbase.

But here's the thing: What do you suppose artifacts are? Aren't they ALL legendary items? Why even have a drop-based system at all when you can incorporate Legendaries into the class itself, and let people progress through the trees and their own pace. I think it was a colossal mistake to try and make orange the new purple. I think they should have taken whatever abilities are in the current legendaries and simply baked them into the artifacts themselves. Then use something like the Netherlight Crucible and rare relic drops to keep the random factor without overdoing it.

If I had my way, legendaries wouldn't even be in the next expansion. Keep the artifact system and make it account or character wide, and make THAT the legendary.

there two way:
    -first way: a legenday token drop on the same % but let you choose the one you want from a merchant
    -second way: a legendary money [Legendary shard stone whatever], can drop from any rare, chest, boss, like actual legendary but on regular base, so having your good legendary would be a real grinding and rewarding becaus eyou know the effort you put in it will reward you soon enough and not asking yourself why this filthy RNG system exist

but no..we dont have the right to talk about the holy RNG system of blizzard, they told us it was beautiful and so perfect.. :P

The only problem with legion's system was having so many shit ones. Either make them all throughput or all just utility stat sticks. I like having something I can always be going for. It's also kept all the previous raids relevant too which hasn't been the case in a long time.

In mist/wod catching up was ass. Barely anyone wanted to run through the old shit just to help get someone else their quest items that took weeks for each step.

In wrath/cata everyone mostly got screwed except the chosen classes that got weapons. Then all of the sudden people only wanted rogues with daggers already, casters with staves, etc.
    Last edited by threads; 2017-10-08 at 04:11 AM.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Haywire5714 View Post
    Pre MoP Legendary System:

Pros:
    - Legendaries were exclusive
    - Legendaries felt legendary

Cons:
    - Exclusive to raiders only
    - tied to a specific class
    You for got to mention another con:

Guild worked to get one person their legendary just to face the possibility of that player getting grabbed by a higher level raiding guild which then forced them to start all over again with another player.

Quote Originally Posted by Haywire5714 View Post
    Pre MoP Legendary System:

Pros:
    - Legendaries were exclusive
    - Legendaries felt legendary

Cons:
    - Exclusive to raiders only
    - tied to a specific class

MoP & Wod Legendary System:

Pros:
    - You couldn't get the legendary for free ... but you didn't have to put in much effort either.
    - Not exclusive to raiders only

Cons:
    - It wasn't very legendary because pretty much everyone had it.
    - Cloaks and rings are not very cool legendaries as it turns out.

Legion Legendary System:

Pros:
    - Everyone had the potential to get a legendary

Cons:
    - Legendaries aren't exclusive
    - Legendaries don't feel legendary
    - RNG

How to preserve the Pros and remove the Cons

There are many ways to do it, but this is the one that I thought of.

A specific legendary would be developed for each aspect of the game:
    - Leveling
    - Dungeons
    - Raids
    - Arena
    - Bg
    - Professions
    etc. Every aspect of the game gets a legendary.

In order to obtain a legendary you would have to invest your time and/or skill towards whatever aspect of the game you're trying to acquire the legendary from ... Essentially you wouldn't be able to get these legendaries for free like you do now.

What this does is it preserves the exclusivity of legendary items since players would have to invest their time or skill in order to obtain one. But it also gives everyone the chance to acquire a legendary item, not just raiders.
    I could support this. The legendary for each aspect of the game should make you really good at that aspect of the game, without 100% transference to other aspects.

"I Am Vengeance. I Am The Night. I Am Felfáádaern!"

Quote Originally Posted by Alassiel View Post
    The ring or the cloak were better than a fucking Shadowmourne. The effects they had were dope, so were their animations. Are you simply saying cloaks/rings are not interesting because fucking what, they're not a weapon? Who gives a shit, it's the effect that matters.

RNG legendaries are fucking stupid. If you want to make a super rare one, just make it drop off the final boss on the highest difficulty so eventually every good player gets it - doing the hardest boss on the hardest difficulty should be plenty of "work" for a legendary.

RNG is not work. Anybody who thinks that RANDOMNESS is work... they're fucking stupid and should stop replying so they don't further spread their stupidity. Should get themselves sterilised too.
    I feel most people by default would think that legendary weapons are more enjoyable than legendary cloak/ring, so I disagree with you on this but it's more of a minor issue.

I'm not sure if you're responding to me with your second point but I've never advocated for rng legendaries so I'm not sure why you're saying this. But I do think it's important for there to be a legendary that drops off of the hardest raid on the hardest difficulty. But that doesn't mean it should be the only obtainable legendary and/or the only way to obtain a legendary.

Quote Originally Posted by tripconn View Post
    problem with this is the exclusivity worked and gave the feeling of it being Legendary because it was really really exclusive. having 1 in a guild was a huge deal. if you make it in any way obtainable to the masses you make it a mandatory have which makes it a mandatory grind meaning every one who raids will have to get it. that will either piss of the community or make it not exclusive.

my 2cents put it back to how it was 1 or 2 per expac and takes the whole guild to get and comes from raids. i dident mind that i was super unlikely to ever get a legendary because i just dident deserve one.

i hate this modern idea that everything should be accessible by everyone its such a snobby privileged mentality let the super hard core mythic guys have there things and let the elite pvpers have there special things if they devote such a crazy amount of time to the game and have those skillz then they deserve to be put above us plebs with the bling and im cool with that
    The intent of my system was to preserve the exclusiveness of legendary items so that they cannot be "obtainable to the masses" like they are today. However every caliber of player (not just raiders like vanilla -> cata) would have the possibility to obtain a legendary item if they were to put in the time and/or skill to obtain it.

Quote Originally Posted by tripconn View Post
    if you make it in any way obtainable to the masses you make it a mandatory have which makes it a mandatory grind meaning every one who raids will have to get it. that will either piss of the community or make it not exclusive.
    This point is interesting, however there is actually a good way to avoid this issue and I was going to share my idea but it seems like somebody else already has. Read below.

Quote Originally Posted by Felfaadaern Darkterror View Post
    I could support this. The legendary for each aspect of the game should make you really good at that aspect of the game, without 100% transference to other aspects.
    I'm actually so happy you mentioned this because I had that exact same idea before. Ideally the system would work so that the legendary you obtain would make you very powerful in whatever aspect of the game you pursued in order to acquire it. So for example the legendary for questing would make you a god at questing but it would not be best in slot for raiding and vice versa. This removes the requirement for hardcore players to farm every single legendary in order to complete their BIS for raiding.
    Last edited by Haywire5714; 2017-10-08 at 05:21 AM.

If there is to be a continuation of an artifact like system then I would like to see legendaries removed. In Legion, legendaries are personally an unnecessary layer of grind as they are now. The Cata and MoP system despite being designed to get everyone on to a long term grind was done by a minority with the bulk of complaints over the grind coming from organized raiders wanting it on their alts.

I would like to see a legendary like expansion long grind for a cosmetic that is not removed at the end of the expansion while the grind itself is not nerfed to a pitiful one month grind.

I would make one were all go to my characters and no one else making mine unkillable so I can feed off the tears of everyone else.

Similar to Legion but with Legendries being more balanced and none being disappointing to get.

Not in slots that hold tier, utility functions or no extra bonuses besides stats. If it has functions/procs that are just utility then far less legendary items over all and no more mixing of some that are huge dps, hps or tanking gains mixed with other lack luster options.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

i would use a mixed method

1) iconic legendaries like well know weapons (the warglaives, atiesh etc) a chance of drop from their Boss owner <- stronger one who could really have op power
    2) a mop style leg you build during the entire xpack <- good buff like the ring or cloak
    3) a bunch of rng based legs that could drop everywhere if you are lucky <- no strong effect or big impact on raid/pvp (maybe effect only enabled in open world
    Quote Originally Posted by caervek View Post
    Obviously this issue doesn't affect me however unlike some raiders I don't see the point in taking satisfaction in this injustice, it's wrong, just because it doesn't hurt me doesn't stop it being wrong, the player base should stand together when Blizzard do stupid shit like this not laugh at the ones being victimised.

Have some kind of random quest generator, which asks you to do something actually difficult, with ilvl scaled flat so it's equally difficult throughout the expansion.

You have to do a number of those quests and they become more and more difficult as you get to the final one, and when you do it you get a legendary.

Difficult quest might mean something like the mage tower, or something like the maze for the secret mount. Either way, I want something that you have to do and actually pay attention to the game. So far it's only brain-dead activities with only the highest stuff requiring us to focus on what we do. Wow was the first game which made me utilize my 2nd monitor to its fullest, just because I could watch series or anything I want while playing. That's not how gaming is supposed to be, right?

Edit: These quests could be solo or maybe have 1 or 2 addition players required, so there is some social aspect to it.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    My questions would be:

With levelling going awefully fast, where and when do you get your legendary? It needs to be a starter quest that you cannot skip and it needs to be powerful to hold up to the moment you ding max level. Does it not make levelling even easier and this thing crazily mighty?

Dungeons: Which ones? Levelling normals? Heroic? Mythic? Mythic+

Raids: A new one for every tier? Again, we need to keep the power increase in mind. Would it be too powerful for the first tier, but weak in the third?

Professions: What does it do? What is a mining or herb legendary? Or do profession create them?

How many can I equip. What happens to my levelling legendary when I do WQ? What happens to my Raid legendary when I do WQs? What happens to my dungeon legendary when I raid?
    All of these are specifics that would need to be hashed out by the dev team. It's not really for us to decide since there are a million different specific things that could be done to make this system work.

But if I were to decide without really thinking that much about it:

Leveling: complete all the quests in the expansion, get a legendary that remains useful for all quests in current expansion and leveling in the next expansion. They could also create additional quest chains specifically for the legendary item.

Dungeons: probably one for heroic one for mythic ... completion of all achievements and maybe some additional challenge.

Raids: 1 per tier would be good, I don't think balance is as big of an issue as you think and ideally you'd want the legendary to last for the whole expansion.

Professions: Skys the limit with this one, there are so many things they could with a profession legendary.

How many can you equip: as many as you obtain.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    MoP's legendary system but without the grind or RNG of looting items from bosses.

You'd just need to clear each raid once on any difficulty at certain points of the story as it progresses. The majority of the questline would be story-based and would involve actual questing in the world as you do certain tasks for whoever is bribing you with the legendary.

I would however have it so that the legendary at the end is personalized to your class like Legion's. Makes it more interesting that way.

Oh and like in WoD you'd get the legendary (or its base) early and upgrade it every patch but by adding a new effect and some more item levels.

I would re-introduce the 7.2 Challanges with Legendaries as the reward.
    The Challanges eill be different though:
    Every Spec has their own unique challange.
    Every person going in a challange will be automatically equipped with a pre-determined set of gear, so that the challange is purely skill based.
    Everyone gets a set amount of attempts per day/reset (about 20/125 i think should work)

As for the Legendaries, they should be purely cosmetic, either being glorified stat sticks or giving you a cool visual effect (and should be transmogable once you get a better piece of gear)

This way, i think legendaries will have a prestige to them, and obtainable to all who posses the skill needed to beat the challange...

By the end of the expac it will be fine nerfing the challanges a bit so that more people have access to the legendaries, but not to much.

Madness will consume you!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    I am a fan of the questline+raid activity legendaries. Like the staff, daggers, Shadowmourne and cloaks... just, not the rings.. they went a bit too far.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

15+ Year Old Account
    Legion is the best by far if they tweek the RNG problem