Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Yep, enjoy that xenophobia.

Sweden is one of the safest and happiest countries on the planet.
    They could always commit less crime if they don't want people to notice them as a group that commits a lot of crime.

10+ Year Old Account
    As for the weather, it really isnt that bad in a lot of the country. If you'll be in the southern parts it usually doesnt get much worse than about 0 degrees. Thing about that is that the country is so long its about the same distance to rome from its southern border as to its most northern one. It varies wildly in temperature from that.

Other than that its a western 1st world country in living standards for the most part.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    As for the weather, it really isnt that bad in a lot of the country. If you'll be in the southern parts it usually doesnt get much worse than about 0 degrees. Thing about that is that the country is so long its about the same distance to rome from its southern border as to its most northern one. It varies wildly in temperature from that.

Other than that its a western 1st world country in living standards for the most part.
    Will people treat me differently when they find out I am an American living in the country?

I mean, most people from the EU when they visit the United States, come to find out that Americans are actually really nice people for the most part, and we generally treat others with respect.

Also, what is Swede food like? Is Ikea a good indicator of the type of food to expect?

Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post

Also, what is Swede food like? Is Ikea a good indicator of the type of food to expect?
    Ikea? Food? It's a furniture store.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    As for the weather, it really isnt that bad in a lot of the country. If you'll be in the southern parts it usually doesnt get much worse than about 0 degrees.
    Uh? I'm in Blekinge, it gets worse than 0 degrees.

Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    Indeed.

And, we also actually DO have the higher success of integration over other Scandinavian countries, like Denmark.

But just wait until 2030, Sweden shall be a 3rd world country with Sharia laws and Mad Max-esque living conditions.
    How do you define "success of integration"? What do you consider "success"?

10+ Year Old Account
    Tell your boss that you want to live in Finland instead. It's nice in here.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Under Your Spell View Post
    Are you sure you are Swedish Becuse a Swede know that IKEA have a "bait restaurant" god quality to self cost price to draw customers to their stores.

Quote Originally Posted by a77 View Post
    Are you sure you are Swedish Becuse a Swede know that IKEA have a "bait restaurant" god quality to self cost price to draw customers to their stores.
    Yeah, I'm sure. I was born in Karlskrona and have lived there almost all my life. Never seen any food in IKEA when I've been to it in Älmhult.

10+ Year Old Account

- - - Updated - - -

Uh? I'm in Blekinge, it gets worse than 0 degrees.

This is the average temperature range in January in Sweden per the Swedish meteorology institute.

Averaging around 0 is quite normal for Blekinge.

Quote Originally Posted by Runenwächter View Post
    How do you define "success of integration"? What do you consider "success"?
    Integration to society is largely down to people learning the language and getting a job.
    Success seems to equal having a large majority of immigrant groups reach goals like work, financial security and establishment in the society.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by a77 View Post
    http://www.ikea.com/ext/local-store/se/sv/almhult/

They've got a restaurant same as other Ikeas.

Deleted
    Will people treat me differently when they find out I am an American living in the country?

I mean, most people from the EU when they visit the United States, come to find out that Americans are actually really nice people for the most part, and we generally treat others with respect.

Well i assume you don't speak the language so to some extent people will treat you differently jokes aside Americans shoulden't have any problems here they are generally well looked upon as social, open and very friendly. You would be treated well by 95% of the populations and situations you encounter i'm sure of that, anyone here below the age of 60 will speak good english and the younger generations mostly fluent so that should not be an issue.

We may come across as kind of unsocial but thats just how we are, til you get to know us that is

Sweden (sadly) is a multicultural society which means there is no "swedish food" most of the food places are kebab shops with lots of asian/middle eastern restaurants aswell, certainly we still have some swedish places with real dishes but they are quite few and usually only open during lunch.

Good luck!

Integration to society is largely down to people learning the language and getting a job.
    Success seems to equal having a large majority of immigrant groups reach goals like work, financial security and establishment in the society.
    That's not integration, integration is adaption of the country to become more diverse culturally rather than just bringing minorities into the majority culture, providing equal opportunity etc.

"In addition to desegregation, integration includes goals such as leveling barriers to association, creating equal opportunity regardless of race, and the development of a culture that draws on diverse traditions, rather than merely bringing a racial minority into the majority culture. Desegregation is largely a legal matter, integration largely a social one."
    Last edited by Player Twelve; 2017-10-10 at 05:05 PM.

Deleted
    American politics, especially foreign politics have a very negative aura in Sweden, but as long you do not preach american politics you will be good.

Yes behave respectfully and nice and Swedes will be nice and treat you with respect..... its no different than other countries.

Yes and no.... its Swedish food but IKEA do change some of it to better fit the local flavor.

That's not integration, integration is adaption of the country to become more diverse rather than just bringing minorities into the majority culture, providing equal opportunity etc.
    https://www.informationsverige.se/Sv...politiken.aspx

"Syftet med etableringsplanen är att du så snabbt som möjligt ska lära dig svenska och hitta ett arbete för att klara din försörjning".

The bottom line is meant to feed into the rest, and it's what our Government focuses upon.
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2017-10-10 at 05:08 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tratra View Post
    Yes mate, I'd suggest staying at the lovely and sunny Yorkshire
    It's warm here in Summer

Quote Originally Posted by Thurin View Post
    hehe, compared to us Norwegians you swedes are extroverts.

This is surprisingly accurate:

LMFAO!

I wish they'd made a Swedish one though, but I suppose Norwegians are 1 meter, Swedes... 2?

https://www.informationsverige.se/Sv...politiken.aspx

"Syftet med etableringsplanen är att du så snabbt som möjligt ska lära dig svenska och hitta ett arbete för att klara din försörjning".

The bottom line is meant to feed into the rest.
    A plan for establishment is in no way relevant to integration. You can have a plan for establishment even when practicing assimilation. All that the plan for establishment seeks to achieve is to make them learn swedish and be able to find a job to support themselves, it does not mean they are integrated. Nor are Swedes integrated. We're segregated from each other.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Reyzzz View Post
    Rude? I find it rude if strangers just come up and start talking about something I'm not interested in. Finland here btw.
    That's called being social

A constant here is people complaining that they are not against migration, they are against migrants that ''do not fit with Swedish society''.

This is a fairly universal problem (worsened by the fact that, unlike English and to a much lesser degree French and Spanish, Swedish is not exactly a world language). The migrants you want are not the migrants you get.

But what can you do ? There is not a hidden pool of ''migrants that are white, christian and who have a set skill that somehow manage to not ''steal'' unskilled jobs and skilled jobs''

A plan for establishment is in no way relevant to integration. You can have a plan for establishment even when practicing assimilation. All that the plan for establishment seeks to achieve is to make them learn swedish and be able to find a job to support themselves, it does not mean they are integrated.
    As I said, the bottom line is meant to feed into the other points.

Sorry, you don't have bigger authority than the government on what things mean in society.
    In fact, I believe I'm done humouring you. You already proved your worth in a discussion with the whole "blame teh feminists and left!"-crap. You've even managed to totally miss the fact that your IKEA has a restaurant, so shouldn't be too surprised I suppose...
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2017-10-10 at 05:13 PM.