Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    Deleted
    Still sad you can get a degree, thats actually worse than not having one.

Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    First I want to tell you thanks for the work you do with your students.

Now, for you to get that job you had to have a Masters degree specific to the occupation right? You wouldn't have gotten your career in counseling with just a BA in a unassociated liberal arts degree.

As im sure you are well aware, not all undergrads have the means, or the desire to pursue a Masters. A degree in theatre arts or art history isn't going to have many career avenues that will land someone a job making 80k+ a year. so they end up having 60k in student debt for a degree that *might* qualify them for a entry level position somewhere making 40k that has absolutely nothing to do with their degree. Here's where the problem lies.

Kids are peddled false information from the time that they are young by their parents, schools, and professors. They are told that to be successful they HAVE to go to a 4 year university, doesn't matter what they major in, just so long as they have a degree.

So many students who are not math or science inclined and who have been warped by todays PC SJW society, go into pointless degree plans like Ethnic studies, Gender Studies, etc etc. WTF are you going to do with a Gender studies degree?

So now they have this degree they paid 60k for that will be lucky to earn them 40k a year. Now, instead of just saying "well shit I messed up" they start demanding that their student debt be absolved, or that all college should be free. Never mind that they signed a consensual agreement for a loan, or that they are an adult, it's someone elses fault.

Kind of hard to blame them, given the false narrative they've been told.

My sister falls into the same boat, she's a Womans studies major at a VERY expensive 4 year university. She will end up paying 60k+ for the degree (well to be honest, my parents will) that has no career options. Luckily, she has been convinced to continue on to her Masters in social Work (she wants to work in a pattered women's center or something similar), so she will end up with 100k in debt for a job shes lucky to make 50k a year for.

College is important, but you have to know what you're getting into. I was 33 when I started college due to being in the army for 12 years. I knew that my chosen major (I have a BAS in Emergency Management with a focus on Homeland security) would maybe get me a job making 50k entry level. I was under no false illusion that I would be making much more than that, until I finish my masters in the same field of study. You got to know what your options are going to be. Do research through the BLS for example in your desired field of study, see what the expected growth and average income is before signing for a loan.
    Actually, I didn't get into counseling first. I worked for Regal Entertainment Group straight out of college (I was never unemployed). I then decided that I didn't like the corporate world, so I started teaching English. From that, I realized that I would like counseling, so I pursued my Master's degrees. Also, most counseling fields don't care what your BA is in. As examples, one of my classmates had an Economics degree and worked in finance for a while. I don't know what the word "associated" means. Counseling is a field that inherently respects and appreciates diverse backgrounds. Most liberal arts degrees provide this kind of education.

The reality is that a college degree is just a stepping stone to get your career started. I have had a job since I was 17 (I'm 29) and that work experience paired with good grades and a college degree gave me enough competitive edge to work in human resources for a major movie theater chain out of college. No, I wasn't making $100k per year, but it was a good job that served a purpose straight out of college.

I do agree, though, that people should consider more thoughtfully their college major and career options. However, I do know that one major does not "set you up for life" or predict what you will even do for the rest of your life. The average Millennial is expected to have 8 careers by age 45. I'm already on my 4th.

If you look at people who have difficulty finding jobs after college, it's not necessarily their college major. It's them. Education inherently does NOTHING for you. You have to do something with it. Thus, people struggling with unemployment after college would likely be struggling anyways regardless of their major because they just went to school for 4 years but did nothing else to show for it.

I always say this to my college students: a degree is only as useless as you are.
    Last edited by Freese; 2017-10-10 at 01:02 PM.
    Skoldier for life.

Quote Originally Posted by The Penguin View Post
    Girls wear pink, boys wear blue.
    This is a worthless diploma for jobs, the college is milking you.
    Yet, they are free to make dumb choices.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylv_ View Post
    You still didn't provide the accomplishment(s) of what gender studies does for the forwarding of the world. Your alex jones reference also does nothing to further the progressive of the quasi chat.

- - - Updated - - -

That's basically what I'm getting at. These gender studies fanatics desire progressive forward thinking, but they blast themselves back so far into the past with the digressive condemnation of males. They want to avoid the same treatment they get, so they give it back and act innocent.
    The fuckin' psychotic cunts.
    To a Democrat, the cure for bigotry is more bigotry.

Quote Originally Posted by Freese View Post

Second, the average lawyer early in their career has over $100k in debt yet the average starting salary for a lawyer is $60k. As a rule of thumb, you typically don't want double your starting salary in debt if you want to pay it off in a reasonable amount of time. You can read more about this issue here if you don't believe me:
    Sadly you are right. The legal industry collapsed in 2004 and never fully recovered (thanks to Yahoo answers and Legal Zoom for providing all of that free/discount "legal advice" and service... I mean why pay an attorney to answer your question when you can get it free online... and why pay a lawyer to file your small claims suit when all of the paperwork and information is available at the courts website).

Of course, if you went to law school in 2000-2001 you were pretty much screwed.