Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Are we now moving to a phase where all business owners are slave traders?

On the same day that Jemele Hill was suspended from ESPN for tweeting about politics, another network personality, Michael Wilbon, compared Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones to a slave owner.

Mr. Wilbon, co-host of “Pardon the Interruption,” took issue with Mr. Jones’ stance that players who do not stand for the national anthem before football games will not play.

“And the word that comes to my mind―and I don’t care who doesn’t like me using it―is plantation,” Mr. Wilbon said on Monday’s show. “The players are here to serve me, and they will do what I want. No matter how much I pay them, they are not equal to me. That’s what this says to me and mine.”
    Did this guy not basically describe "business" in its most generic form?

- a business is not the government, you have no 1st amendment protections (excluding specific federal workplace guidelines)
    - no, you are not equal to your boss at work
    - yes, you get paid to do a specific task (or tasks)

Are we slowly moving to the next phase of bullshit in the USA?

Part of me wants to say, "This is just some fucktard media reporter" and the other half of me says "Well, all this shit starts somewhere."

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Well, it is Washington Times, so take it with a grain of salt.

I think the analogy is strained at best. I do, however, think we are working our way back towards something akin to a feudal society where corporations are dominating people's lives. But that is a very long, and very nuanced discussion.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    It is bullshit to compare someone like a business owner to slave traders. You have a responsibility to your place of employment and you are going to be more restricted on your Constitutional rights at work , then you would be otherwise. This is just common sense, but is something severely lacking today. :P
    Last edited by Ghostpanther; 2017-10-11 at 02:52 PM.

A free person has the freedom to choose to accept the offer of employment or not.

A slave doesn't have the freedom to choose to accept the offer of being someone's slave or not.
    Last edited by Total Crica; 2017-10-11 at 03:32 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is the right argument. But it’s being made in the wrong place.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Gotta love how they get multi-million contracts for signing with a team, but no, they're slaves being traded...

God this whole victim complex bullshit needs to just go away.

Nothing like invoking slave imagery to undercut your own article.

Fucking Christ.

Make millions being a slave, standing around for 95% of the 4 hour game? Sign me up.

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    Every. Single. Day.

Slaves don't have option. Players can just leave a team anytime they want. I can't see even a remote resemblance,

and I think it severely demeans the hardships of actual slavery - to compare them with an NFL athlete (usually a millionaire that lives the life we dream about)
    sign me up for that. I will stand for 10 anthems per day, be millionaire player, and then I will QQ that I am a slave hahaha

Lol most sports in US started out as all white and African Americans fought to get in, jokes on them I guess

Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    This is the right argument. But it’s being made in the wrong place.
    What is the right place to compare people to slave traders?

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    Well, slavery in America ended because it's cheaper/easier to have employees than slaves. You have to house, feed, train, care for your slaves at least to a modest degree. They need to be kept fed, clothed, housed and healthy enough to work, especially for physical jobs. Plus you need someone to make sure they don't fuck around and if you're a huge faggot to them, they may just kill you anyway because fuck you. You want to kill one? Lol joke's on you dumbass, now you gotta buy another one.

Employees you just have to pay a wage and that's it. They spend it on all that other shit themselves with what you pay them and it doesn't cost you a cent. Add to this that you can fire them whenever the fuck you want and instantly replace them. Plus the lower the skill of your job, the easier it is to replace them so you can push them even harder and they won't quit but if they do, instantly replaced. You have no consequences. It's a fucking brilliant system far beyond anything as crude as slavery.

So yeah nah, it's not slavery. They're just being ridiculous because black people in America like to bring up slavery every time they want to bitch about something. They aren't slaves and nobody in America is. It's particularly retarded to say that millionaires playing a sport are 'more enslaved' than your everyday Walmart drone. Fuck right off with that shit. Neither of them are slaves but you know who is getting fucked harder and business, honestly, fucks you pretty damn hard in America.
    Paladin Bash has spoken.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyro1990 View Post
    What is the right place to compare people to slave traders?
    It’s not when a situation or an arrangement becomes convenient to throw up the argument. The NFL could be compared to slavery much in the general sense a lot of others could be including other professionas that include all colors.

However this is being brought up by some on the backs of some of the same NFL owners and fans took a knee as well. Maybe not all with the same motives. It isn’t authentic to acknowledge that one week and not another.

The NFL is a goddamn business. Their bottom line has always been the primary factor.

Not saying it has to be, but if others are taking the hits right along with you. If nothing like this was argued last week. Slavery even in this context didn’t just start this week.

Plenty of white people and white owners took a knee that should be acknowledged and appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Tota View Post
    A free person has the freedom to choose to accept the offer of employment or not.

A slave doesn't have the freedom to choose to accept the offer of being someone's slave or not.
    This pretty much.

Well said tota

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    This pretty much.

Well said tota
    Not correct and context matters.

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    Did this guy not basically describe "business" in its most generic form?

- a business is not the government, you have no 1st amendment protections (excluding specific federal workplace guidelines)
    - no, you are not equal to your boss at work
    - yes, you get paid to do a specific task (or tasks)

Part of me wants to say, "This is just some fucktard media reporter" and the other half of me says "Well, all this shit starts somewhere."
    Comparing it to slavery is quite an exaggeration.

The only real issue is how easy it is for someone to get fired in the United States (or at least that's my impression as an outsider, correct me if I'm wrong). Labor laws should protect people from getting fired for discretionary reasons. In some countries terminating a job contract without violation to the letter of the contract has penalties for the business owner, or allows the person being fired to win a lawsuit against the owner pretty easily.

The context is voluntary employment in America.

That isn't slavery because rich douchebags call it that.

So private business owners are li le plantation slave owners..lol okay.