Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Question Kul'tiras as an entire continent?

Personally i am really looking forward to finding out what the next expansion will be, but unless Blizz pull another MOP or WOD i think its pretty clear it will be Azshara and Old God related.

I would be quite fine with that, in fact i would be thrilled! Ever since WC3 naga have been my favourite race and i always lamented not being able to play them bar the few specific missions. Of course on top of the naga and Old God stuff such an expansion could and probably would include all that stuff which people are probably already sick of hearing, like Zandalar, pirate islands, other yet unseen islands mentioned here and there in the lore, ship garrisons etc.

BUT the one thing that could completely dampen my excitement for this theme is them expanding Kul'tiras to continent size, like they did with the Broken Isles. Honestly i think it would be an extremely cheap thing to make a single island the main (or Elune forbid even the only) landmass we get to see with such great potential hidden in and beneath the south seas...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Exilian View Post
    Personally i am really looking forward to finding out what the next expansion will be, but unless Blizz pull another MOP or WOD i think its pretty clear it will be Azshara and Old God related.

I would be quite fine with that, in fact i would be thrilled! Ever since WC3 naga have been my favourite race and i always lamented not being able to play them bar the few specific missions. Of course on top of the naga and Old God stuff such an expansion could and probably would include all that stuff which people are probably already sick of hearing, like Zandalar, pirate islands, other yet unseen islands mentioned here and there in the lore, ship garrisons etc.

BUT the one thing that could completely dampen my excitement for this theme is them expanding Kul'tiras to continent size, like they did with the Broken Isles. Honestly i think it would be an extremely cheap thing to make a single island the main (or Elune forbid even the only) landmass we get to see with such great potential hidden in and beneath the south seas...
    It could be either. Some people say Blizzard will resist an island hopping approach as it means a series of disjointed zones such as was found in Cataclysm (which admittedly players did not enjoy) whereas others say scaling up an island such as Kul Tiras to continent size would be ridiculous.

It comes down to, what is your hunch based on past form and experience.

My hunch is that it will be islands, Kul Tiras will be one island among several and that we will explore Zandalar and other south seas lands as that would be by far the more interesting expansion.

But i could be wrong.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    The broken Isles aren't continent size, they don't even cover the same area as the dwarven lands.

I think it would be nice to have one of the problem areas being Kul'Tiras, with them kicking up a stink over the fact that the Alliance worked with the Horde to defeat the Legion. Still think the big bad of the expansion would be Azshara, but it wouldn't necessarily be solely that. I kind of prefer where the first tier or one of the tiers is something not related to the big bad, since it gives the idea that there are multiple problems in the world, not just a single issue to deal with.

And I don't see enough similarities between the Cataclysm zones and a bunch of islands. There are distinct differences between the two concepts, namely that Cataclysm was adding a random zone into the middle/side of existing leveling zones, where they seemed almost out of place with regards to where they were placed. The islands would be different zones and while not connected by land, they would still be in the same general area of the world, potentially tied together by a special boat system for hopping between islands. They could also make it so that the islands aren't so far apart that you couldn't just fly or swim without dying. They could even make the waters between them be non-fatigue waters to avoid that, so if you wanted to just mount your waterstrider, you could run your ass over (or fly once flying was introduced).

Quote Originally Posted by Obelisk Kai View Post
    a series of disjointed zones such as was found in Cataclysm (which admittedly players did not enjoy)
    I think Cataclysm was daunting because the zones were so far apart. You had to travel half a continent or two just to get to the next area. I don't personally mind this but it did feel a bit odd back then.

Though if it's a "continent" consisting of several islands. I'm sure it won't feel daunting at all. Cause it's still all connected to each other, and may have influenced one another. (Like infighting between the islands, trolls trying to take over, Jaina being a c*nt to the natives.)
    Where Cata Zones just felt a bit random and had next to no connection to one another other than the few Cultists here and there.

And yea personally speaking, IF it is Kul Tiras we are going to. Then it's gonna be a bunch of small islands which would also give blizz a reason to bring back their ships.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowmatrix View Post
    The broken Isles aren't continent size, they don't even cover the same area as the dwarven lands.
    The Broken Isles have also always been out in the ocean, not between Gilneas and Menethil in Baradin Bay. They also aren't on an extremely recent Chronicle map showing them as still very tiny.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    While I wouldn't put it past Blizz to blow a tiny island up into a whole continent again, one thing about Kul'tiras makes me doubt they intend to.

It's Kul'tiras. And it's led by Jaina.

Hell, I'd be amazed if Horde aren't auto-flagged for PvP upon stepping on that island.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmatrix View Post
    Gameplay-wise, they're around Pandaria's size. Look at the pixel maps that one individual made. Lore-wise, you're correct. I think this thread is about gameplay-size though, which would make op's comparison to the broken Isles accurate, in the event blizz makes kul'tiras the only new landmass.

It'll probably be joined by other land masses, with the explaination that the Cataclysm shifted those places' original locations.

It'll probably have Kul Tiras (plus Cresfall and Zul Dare), Zandalar (Zuldazar included) and maybe Kezan (Undermine included). Other zones possibly included would be Tel'abim and Plunder Island, and maybe, just maybe, a raised Nazjatar.

It will be a single "continent" in-game, but the isles will be separated by water, and we can move from one to the other via boat (kinda like Vindicaar on Argus, but the areas will be bigger than Argus' sub-zones).

-----

Another note: when talking about Broken Isles size, mind that there's an illusion inthe World Map to make them seem smaller than they really are. If the World Map had their actual size compared to other continents, they'd feel too big. You can notice this by going to a corner of any Broken Isle zone and look at your position in the world map: you'll probably appear in the ocean rather than in land.
    Last edited by DeicideUH; 2017-10-11 at 05:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    While I wouldn't put it past Blizz to blow a tiny island up into a whole continent again, one thing about Kul'tiras makes me doubt they intend to.

It's Kul'tiras. And it's led by Jaina.

Hell, I'd be amazed if Horde aren't auto-flagged for PvP upon stepping on that island.
    I don't put it beyond the possibility that Blizzard will retcon Kul'tiras to only be part of the island, instead of all of it.

I hope not. But the thing is, there's enough in the Great Sea, just west of the Eastern Kingdoms, that I think it could all be put together into a series of nearby islands (especially if they give us the 'boats' so many folks are speculating about, or use the water between isles as part of the leveling process).

In the waters just east of Khaz Modan and the continent of Azeroth, we have~

-Kul Tiras
    -Crestfall
    -Balor
    -Zul'Dare
    -Channel Islands
    -Tol Barad (currently in its own instance)

Plus, Nazjatar and the prison of N'zoth (going by the map in Chronicle) are potential underwater zones in the vicinity.

So, there are definitely options. Making Kul Tiras into a whole continent would feel pretty dumb.

Please no. We don't need an entire "continent" full of humans. We have enough already as is.

7+ Year Old Account
    I'd obviously be okay if the next expansion was a giant Kul'Tiras, and everything takes place on that island. I would however, like to see more than one main area. I would love for them to open new areas on the old continents. For example, how about the unavailable area north of the Plaguelands.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    Please no. We don't need an entire "continent" full of humans. We have enough already as is.
    I agree, we need a continent of gnomes

Argus is probably a test run for 8.0 which will feature a series of islands connected via teleports. The vindicaar will be replaced in the system with a ship or captain placeholder or something.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Obelisk Kai View Post
    It could be either. Some people say Blizzard will resist an island hopping approach as it means a series of disjointed zones such as was found in Cataclysm (which admittedly players did not enjoy) whereas others say scaling up an island such as Kul Tiras to continent size would be ridiculous.
    Well the last we knew in WC3 the broken isles was literally just the tomb of sargeras and a few scattered ruins.

That obviously isn't the case.

So Kul'tiras could easily be an entire continent

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ticj View Post
    I agree, we need a continent of gnomes
    An entire continent of those pygmies from Uldum.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Deleted
    I mean no wow zone is to scale so size isn't a real issue. My only issue with kul Tiras as a continent means we won't get to see other islands this expasion

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    What if Kul'tiras was, due to the cataclysm, leveled from it's natural height, becoming a mountain in a new risen landmass that connects it to the sinking Zandalar domain?

Like this:

Such migration of land would be bullshit but it's a possibility. Warcraft's landmasses are weird already. It could be a new continent to the northeast of Pandaria, south of the Broken Isles.

Quote Originally Posted by A Chozo View Post
    What if Kul'tiras was, due to the cataclysm, leveled from it's natural height, becoming a mountain in a new risen landmass that connects it to the sinking Zandalar domain?

Like this:

Such migration of land would be bullshit but it's a possibility. Warcraft's landmasses are weird already. It could be a new continent to the northeast of Pandaria, south of the Broken Isles.
    Why bother? Just make KT one zone and use more interesting areas.

My only issue with the broken isles is it’s the broken ISLE. Singular. It’s essentially one land mass. Azsuna could have had more ocean between it and Valsharah instead of a river and same with zones like Stormheim. The whole thing should have been more broken (no pun intemded) apart. Yeah yeah the Broken Shore is disjointed but that’s pretty much it. I don’t really count the Eye of Azshara island because aside from Kosumoth and 1 WQ here and there you never go to it. It might as well not even be there.

I am really really hoping the next expansion is Kul’Tiras and the surrounding islands just executed a little better. I love me some pirates and jungles!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Well the last we knew in WC3 the broken isles was literally just the tomb of sargeras and a few scattered ruins.
    Just out of curiosity where was Suramar located in the lore before Legion if that’s all the Broken Isles was? I’m genuinely curious.