Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkeon View Post
    Moving goalposts? Maybe try reading what I've been typing, haven't changed a thing.

The original argument that I was replying to was that there was no good people on that side of the protest. I said that being on that side automatically didn't make you a bad person.

Now, if I'm wrong - anyone, regardless of motives or affiliations, that stands on the Left side of those marches and protests, automatically makes them a bad person as well, since ANTIFA are there. That doesn't sound very fair, doesn't it?
    What about the people not standing with Antifa, who were just mocking the shit show?

The people who knowingly went to a white nationalist rally to support it are bad people. The people who figured it out after they got there, and didn't leave and/or significantly distance themselves from the rally goers... are also pretty crappy people. Blatant racism and anti-Semitism were not enough to cause them to leave.

Now, if all the rally supporters are not all bad people, I'd like to meet some of them, and see what they have to say. Do you know anyone who went to the rally in support of it? I do not.

Knowing the context that his assailants had things like flamethrowers makes that at least somewhat justifiable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    Knowing the context that his assailants had things like flamethrowers makes that at least somewhat justifiable.
    For the record, they weren't really his assailants. Also, calling it a flamethrower is fairly misleading, since it was an aerosol can and a lighter. Of course, I guess we could technically call a lighter a flamethrower, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    What about the people not standing with Antifa, who were just mocking the shit show?

The people who knowingly went to a white nationalist rally to support it are bad people. The people who figured it out after they got there, and didn't leave and/or significantly distance themselves from the rally goers... are also pretty crappy people. Blatant racism and anti-Semitism were not enough to cause them to leave.

Now, if all the rally supporters are not all bad people, I'd like to meet some of them, and see what they have to say. Do you know anyone who went to the rally in support of it? I do not.
    So people in one side of a protest are full supporters of the scum that pesters part of it - but people on the other side are merely mocking the scum that pesters theirs?
    For someone who likes simple, straight forward "black and white" ways of thought, you sure tried to make that very elaborate.

So people in one side of a protest are full supporters of the scum that pesters part of it - but people on the other side are merely mocking the scum that pesters theirs?
    For someone who likes simple, straight forward "black and white" ways of thought, you sure tried to make that very elaborate.
    You assume that there's only two sides, I do not. I would have gone if my wife let me, and I would have mocked the entire shit show. That's what most of the residents of Charlottesville were doing, mocking the Nazi fucktards who tried to preach hatred and racism.

Do you know anyone who went to the rally in support of it? If so, I'd like to find out why they stayed, when they realized it was a hate convention.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    There's a much larger element of African-Americans in prison. Prisons are one of the few places in America where blacks outnumber whites.
    So? There's still a large skinhead population in prisons even if they are outnumbered

Sorry, not sorry. Still doesn't make someone part of a group.

I know you guys really want it to work like that, but reality isn't that black and white.
    When you stand with White Supremacists, Neo-Nazis, and the KKK... then you don't get to complain about being labelled as one of them.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Seiklis View Post
    So? There's still a large skinhead population in prisons even if they are outnumbered
    You said that things wouldn't change that much for him... in prison...he's the minority. He's going to be in close quarters with a lot more black people than he is comfortable with. That's a pretty big change.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Both of them deserve to be charged, but actually firing the gun would put the idiot KKK member up for quite a few more charges I can only assume.

So him being denied bail makes sense, anyone know if the other bloody idiot was arrested/charged as well? Threatening someone with a flame like that is still illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by Nexx226 View Post
    I didn't say for any reason. It's for this specific reason and it's a shitty reason. Especially considering how the guy was actually charged with a felony. I also said he's defending a racist, not racism. You seem to have trouble reading.

- - - Updated - - -

Shit, that bike lock was closer to a deadly weapon than this "flamethrower".

- - - Updated - - -

It wasn't a fucking flamethrower. They also didn't threaten the guy at all. It was only used to deter people from approaching him. The guy could have easily walked off, like he originally did, but he turned around and fucking shot at them.

- - - Updated - - -

What should the other guy be charged with? Please, cite a law. He wasn't threatening anyone.

You can't so I'll go ahead and say thanks for playing.
    Reckless Endangerment at the very least. Waving a stream of flammable liquids in a crowded area has the serious potential for harm. Remember just because there is a bigger dickhead nearby with a gun, it doesn't excuse smaller dickheads nearby. Good game, I like to win.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandraudiga View Post
    Both of them deserve to be charged, but actually firing the gun would put the idiot KKK member up for quite a few more charges I can only assume.

So him being denied bail makes sense, anyone know if the other bloody idiot was arrested/charged as well? Threatening someone with a flame like that is still illegal.
    http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-...014-story.html

Yes, the guy with the aerosol can was arrested and is facing charges.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TEHPALLYTANK View Post
    http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-...014-story.html

Yes, the guy with the aerosol can was arrested and is facing charges.
    Good to hear.

Do you really think using a spray deodorant for this would create a "substantial risk of serious physical injury"? Again, it was a pretty common thing for kids to do this themselves, even spraying it on their actual body and lighting it on fire, without any harm whatsoever.

Any half ass lawyer would get a charge like that thrown out of court. They even know that which is why they didn't arrest him.
    Actually, if you look one post below you you will read that he did get arrested on charges of assault and battery and disorderly conduct.

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-...014-story.html (Thanks TEHPALLYTANK)

What a poor wizard, he forgot his robes. I guess he was also jelly because the other guy had the better flame spell :/.
    Last edited by Cosmic Janitor; 2017-10-15 at 05:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ovm33 View Post
    Claiming an affirmative defense is not a reason to withhold bail...

The only reasons, to my knowledge, you can withhold bail is because the person is a significant flight risk or public safety risk. (Correct me if I'm wrong here.)

And firing a gun within 1000 feet of a school is a Class 4 Felony. Section 18.2-280(B)-(C) of the Virginia code for those interested. Max sentence 1 year in jail or a $2500 fine. Murderers are routinely given bail.

This smells suspiciously like punishing the guy because his politics are disgusting.
    I'm assuming the class of felony is worse the higher the number? Because a class 4 felony sounds pretty bad. In that case, I'm wondering why the max sentence isn't more severe. Can anyone shed some light?

10+ Year Old Account
    should have casted a magic missile

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kneehidude View Post
    I'm assuming the class of felony is worse the higher the number? Because a class 4 felony sounds pretty bad. In that case, I'm wondering why the max sentence isn't more severe. Can anyone shed some light?
    https://vacode.org/2016/18.2/7/4/18.2-280/

For the full code. I was wrong on the penalty BTW, see below.

It's a reverse structure; i.e. a Class 6 (such as stealing $500 +) is the lowest while a Class 1 (such as premeditated murder) is the highest.

See link in quote below:

Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    You read that statute wrong. Max sentence is 10 years; max fine is 100k. That's a link to virginia state's website that enumerates their laws. That specific page lists penalties. The minimum sentence is 2 years btw.
    I wrongly assumed Virginia's code / punishment structure was like Ohio's which is 6-18 months for a class 4.

Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    Your wrongness and hyperbole on easily checked facts just make you look foolish
    You caught me! +10 points to Slytherin.
    I sat alone in the dark one night, tuning in by remote.
    I found a preacher who spoke of the light, but there was Brimstone in his throat.
    He'd show me the way, according to him, in return for my personal check.
    I flipped my channel back to CNN and lit another cigarette.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kneehidude View Post
    If someone is actually hit, then the charge would transition to something more hefty. In this case, the basis of the felony is extreme negligence for public safety by taking actions that are directly hazardous towards completely innocent bystanders. The felony charge is more significant from a long term perspective, in assessing future legal actions for any violations of the law and such. Basically the law's way of putting on his record that he is so criminally negligent towards the safety of the public that he'll discharge a firearm in an area where children are known to be, and that future acts of negligence demonstrate a pattern of unlawful behavior. Felonies are also a matter of public record, and thus any future employers, landlords, insurers, etc can find out pretty easily if you've been convicted of a felony, and use that that information. For example, if he is convicted, the chances of a landlord letting him rent property anywhere close to a school would be minimal at best.

Ie the sentencing might seem light given that it is a felony, but the long term implications can be quite impactful.
    Last edited by Kasierith; 2017-10-15 at 06:35 AM.

Deleted
    I didn't say for any reason. It's for this specific reason and it's a shitty reason. Especially considering how the guy was actually charged with a felony. I also said he's defending a racist, not racism. You seem to have trouble reading.

- - - Updated - - -

Shit, that bike lock was closer to a deadly weapon than this "flamethrower".

- - - Updated - - -

It wasn't a fucking flamethrower. They also didn't threaten the guy at all. It was only used to deter people from approaching him. The guy could have easily walked off, like he originally did, but he turned around and fucking shot at them.

- - - Updated - - -

What should the other guy be charged with? Please, cite a law. He wasn't threatening anyone.

You can't so I'll go ahead and say thanks for playing.
    "Keep defending racist scum. Really shows your true colors. Fucking sick."

Your words, how am I misreading?
    And yes I agree that in this situation that moron went way overboard when we can actually see he takes the time to reload the gun and then fire (was not IN the crowd but still)
    I quoted you for the reason you seemed to accuse a other poster for giving a opinion.

He just walked up and shot into the crowd,

Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    No because he was the bigger threat. Your ideology doesn't matter either here. You can believe the world will be a better place if everything was hot pink. If you fire your weapon into a crowd you go to jail.
    Last edited by Barnabas; 2017-10-15 at 09:54 AM.