Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I'd love for there to be wow2 and us going on a brand new adventure with a totally new start

problem is that game would never be what i want it to be, it'd probably have even less RPG elements than wow does.
    so i'd rather they just do an expansion pack to a game i at least still recognize

WoW 2 has the same chance of coming out as Half Life 3.

Read everything Blizzard has said about ever making a "WoW 2" and youll understand why it wont happen

Quote Originally Posted by Eurhetemec View Post
    Actually there are supposedly 3 secret game projects going on at Blizz. The most likely that could become WoW2 would be the "Diablo" project that they've been hiring for and removed more than half the D3 team to work on.
    It would be a very Blizzard move to misdirect people's dreams of a Diablo 4 or World of Diablo and actually be working on WoW2

I think it's a good time to do a WoW2, but the reason WoW suffers from loss of interest isn't it's age or story. It's the stale gameplay, a WoW2 isn't going to fix that, they would have fixed it in WoW if they knew how.

There won't be a WoW 2 ever. Once WoW fails there is no incentive to try to revive a dead genre, and tie the cuts to millions of players. Zero chance.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmodias View Post
    Talking about and Planning are two wildly different things. Those words are used incredibly carefully.

Planning is them trying to make it happen.
    Talking about is them kicking around potential ideas.

Game Studios "Talk" about things before "Planning" them.

Don't want to cause any unneeded confusion.
    Pardo said planning so yeah that is a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by McFuu View Post
    Actually there are supposedly 3 secret game projects going on at Blizz. The most likely that could become WoW2 would be the "Diablo" project that they've been hiring for and removed more than half the D3 team to work on.
    It would be a very Blizzard move to misdirect people's dreams of a Diablo 4 or World of Diablo and actually be working on WoW2

I think it's a good time to do a WoW2, but the reason WoW suffers from loss of interest isn't it's age or story. It's the stale gameplay, a WoW2 isn't going to fix that, they would have fixed it in WoW if they knew how.
    Hmmmm. I was really thinking the Diablo project was really D4/World of Diablo but... huh.

WoW2 wouldn't fix gameplay is they kept the same general gameplay style (i.e. holy trinity hotbar), but I presume it wouldn't and would try and do something like GW2 done right or something.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Yeah, doubt it.

And the reason no info on GamesCom was most likely because they realized it was a mistake. It took A LOT of thunder away from BlizzCon.
    they did it because WoD was trash and they needed to get us info ahead of time, the game would be in such a owrse state now if legion had been held till blizzcon... imagine the thousands more that would have quit
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    they did it because WoD was trash and they needed to get us info ahead of time, the game would be in such a owrse state now if legion had been held till blizzcon... imagine the thousands more that would have quit
    Oh, I know why, really but if you saw BlizzCon, it felt a little empty without any actual WoW news.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

If they were to make WoW 2, which I believe is possible but not likely, they'd also be carrying over all characters from "WoW1" into WoW2, and WoW2 would likely be the same game with a revamped content (probably world 100% scaleable plus new engine), so instead of having to buy separated games and expansions you'd just buy one.
    It would be just like it is right now, but with a new engine and without all this "buy expansion every 2 years" thing and a better experience for new players. I actually even believe they'll do that even if they don't call it "WoW 2"

Quote Originally Posted by Steampunkette View Post
    WoW2 would be a massive mistake.

WoW is the perfect storm. It was based on videogame lore that hooked people into it's story when it came out, it launched when MMOs were just becoming a hot new product, and it marketed itself to the widest possible fanbase through it's similarity to other unrelated properties.

But that's how it -started-. How it continued was by being the game anyone could play, and that anyone -should- play. You usually don't see people who are the only person they know playing WoW. Friends, family, friends of friends. The came is -lousy- with recommendations. The only reason I played it is because my 60 year old mother (At the time) had been playing from Vanilla through Wrath with my older brother and twin sister and finally convinced me to pick it up.

These connections, and the connections created within an active guild structure, really helped to give people a sense of community and almost family-like quality to the game.

WoW is not the finest game on the market. I honestly prefer Wildstar's combat system and SWtoR's focus on my character's personal story. And the Elder Scrolls and Dark Age of Camelot had a much better conceit for mass PvP in their territory control designs. No. WoW is the game that everyone plays. And most of us play for the Momentum of it. We've spent years playing and it's a part of our lives. So we keep playing.

Even when someone dislikes a given bit of content.

WoW 2 would undercut the hell out of that. It would destroy the momentum aspect by asking us all to start over. No more 3 million gold in your bank. All your mounts and achievements and transmog gear gone. Every pet and every toy you've found. All gone. All the old quests and dungeons and raids and environments: POOF! Gone.

There's some incentive to play the new game, but what you'd -lose- would wind up killing the attention of a massive portion of the playerbase who just aren't interested in trying to invest that much time, energy, and flat out cash in something new when they have something familiar and warm, like an old blanket.
    That's why I see them at some point doing a "soft reboot" in an expansion, which is almost an WoW 2, but without removing everything that exists and everything that we earned.

What would be a soft reboot? Update EK/Kalimdor. Copy the former versions and make them accessible throught time-travel shenanigans, but now we get new versions for both leveling and max-level content.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Oh, I know why, really but if you saw BlizzCon, it felt a little empty without any actual WoW news.
    i mean we did get alot of wow news
    just not like a whole new expansion
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

Quote Originally Posted by Eurhetemec View Post
    Pardo said planning so yeah that is a difference.

Hmmmm. I was really thinking the Diablo project was really D4/World of Diablo but... huh.

WoW2 wouldn't fix gameplay is they kept the same general gameplay style (i.e. holy trinity hotbar), but I presume it wouldn't and would try and do something like GW2 done right or something.
    Well I don't mean the actual pressing of buttons gameplay. That's fairly challenging now depending on your class.

I mean professions, quests, npc interaction, the actual game we play. It's been stagnant and uninteresting since... The Lich King died. While the lore and story have been pulling people back, I don't think it's holding like it used too. Argus was touted to be a mini expansion, but what I've seen of it it's just Broken Shore with way points.

They are the ones designing this portion of the game and I don't think tech is the limiting factor.

My current favorite thing about WoW is actually the pressing of buttons game play. Dps rotations can be complex and challenging especially with mechanics thrown in. I'd hope they never change the gameplay, it's the best the rpg genre has to offer.

WoW 2 sounds like a huge undertaking if they really want to make a whole new universe that is not on Azeroth. If they just want to stick with all the stuff from WoW 1 then I don't see the point in making a brand new game, rather stick with expansions. But we're currently not in an age where MMORPG's are popular. WoW launched on a sweet spot when the genre was rising, and is still living to that succes off today. And you see how many other new MMORPG's struggle to stay alive, they either made really poor design choices or launched at a wrong time. If a WoW 2 were to be a thing it could actually appeal to a lot of fans who haven't played the game in a long time, but the question is if it can hold a steady playerbase and what will happen to WoW 1.

Unless the genre gets popular again I doubt that we'll see a WoW 2 any time soon.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeicideUH View Post
    That's why I see them at some point doing a "soft reboot" in an expansion, which is almost an WoW 2, but without removing everything that exists and everything that we earned.

What would be a soft reboot? Update EK/Kalimdor. Copy the former versions and make them accessible throught time-travel shenanigans, but now we get new versions for both leveling and max-level content.
    They could do the revamps right now using the new WQ Hubbing technology to completely alter a zone like... say... Sillithus. They could make it so high end players see the ruination, while characters leveling through Sillithus see it as it is, today. And they could do that, zone by zone, through the next several expansions, constantly forcing us to fight battles in the EK and Kal with new expansion content, quests, and altered maps/npcs from the original zones, until they've got a whole replacement for ever zone in the entire game and all it's expansions. And then do it again. And again. And again.

The tech exists, today. The only question is whether Blizzard would be willing to use it.

No because they literally just updated things like spell casting animations, ability animations and less recently race models. They would never waste resources on something like that if they knew they would leave it behind for something new a few years down the line. Case closed.

7+ Year Old Account
    The only way I can see them do a WoW 2, it would -have- to include your current characters. Like others have said, losing everything people have spent years collecting would NOT sit well with the community.

Now if it were something like... eh, ten years into the future. All characters and the world have grown up. I'm talking things like.. Anduin's an actual adult, Desolace has been healed, anyone that we've killed off is actually dead, I.E. Garrosh isn't in Org or Northrend or anywhere else in game. "Total world revamp" to go along with the time. But you still have all your current stuff, and you'd be able to go "back in time" to do old content. For example, Onyxia's Lair is gone, but if you go to where it used to be, Bronze Dragonflight can send you back so you can do the old raid.

Do I see it happening? Prob not, though it'd be interesting. Passage of that much time should allow for "new" lore to make more sense, rather than people bitching or yelling retcon.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Velvet View Post
    I don't think they'd have bothered with updating the character models if WoW 2 was in their near-future plans.
    I agree with this point. When we will be near next expansion release, they won't add anything significant to the old game, they'll just put new content and other things, but they won't invest into that stuff.

That said, it's possible and it'll very likely, that they'll transfer as much stuff from old WoW to the new one, as possible, including character models, animations, a lot of modern models, etc. I even think that WoW 2.0 will be just a different engine, which will run with new zones along with new mechanics, while old WoW will run along for old zones. Of course there will be new leveling, etc, basically new player won't have to touch old WoW, but if he want, he'll be able via some means (probably time travel).

I'd love Wow 2. I don't understand how people clinging to the nostalgia of their 1st game characters should be trumped by the possibilities of what blizzard could do 12 years after the original game was released. There is so much untapped potential in a MMO with modern tech that just needs a company with enough money and the time to do it. Who gives a shit about achievements and toys when we could have completely new amazing experiences similar to the first time I flew from SW to IF.

The way I see it, WoW2 has already come and gone. Consider MoP the start of WoW2 with how much it changed: a new, adventurous beginning after defeating some of the strongest enemies from the RTS, new talent system, graphical overhauls, completely different plot focus. We're effectively playing an entirely different game to how WoW started. A true sequel will doubtfully ever happen. If anything, they're just going to keep pushing this engine to its absolute limits to update the visuals until it just can't go any farther, and then either leave it there and keep releasing expansions, or slowly shift focus away from the MMO in general and focus on their other, arguably more profitable IPs.

"We've got a game that's super successful for its age and still generates a lot of revenue...let's spend a shit ton of money and time and make another one to compete with ourselves. After that we're going to cut off our feet to make it easier to try on shoes."

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Release View Post
    I'd love Wow 2. I don't understand how people clinging to the nostalgia of their 1st game characters should be trumped by the possibilities of what blizzard could do 12 years after the original game was released. There is so much untapped potential in a MMO with modern tech that just needs a company with enough money and the time to do it. Who gives a shit about achievements and toys when we could have completely new amazing experiences similar to the first time I flew from SW to IF.
    Enough people that the game probably wouldn't survive, Release. And, ultimately, Blizzard's -got- to be more worried about the amount of money they bring in, rather than how you happen to feel about a flight path.