Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Thwart View Post
    I know, these guys only got concussions. In "real football" players die. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.b2e8206a26a9

Bad timing on America bashing.
    I am not bashing anything, it does irk me if people use the term football for something totally different.

Quote Originally Posted by Dug View Post
    I agree with some other posters tho that the other team and specifically the coach/refs need to be investigated because 9 in a single game is just absurdly high and sounds intentional.
    The Titans were leading 35-0 - to me it sound as though they were outclassed; like NFL vs little league; and not a problem with the refs.

The question is why there is such a difference - had the Titans done something odd to recruit good players, or is almost no-one interested in playing football for the Olympiens.

Or was the problem the new concussion-rule at the Olympiens?

The one that says that any player receiving a blow to the head cannot play until seeing a doctor - meaning that if one key player got a blow to the early on head he had to be replaced - by a less good player, and then it went downhill from there.

If you are 18+ and want to play football, go right ahead. What I don't understand is how parents let their kids play this game with everything we know (and don't know) about CTE. No sport is worth having a fucked up brain later in life. The scary thing is the evidence is starting to show that sub concussion level head trauma causes damage to the brain that leads to CTE.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Forogil View Post
    The Titans were leading 35-0 - to me it sound as though they were outclassed; like NFL vs little league; and not a problem with the refs.

The question is why there is such a difference - had the Titans done something odd to recruit good players, or is almost no-one interested in playing football for the Olympiens.

Or was the problem the new concussion-rule at the Olympiens?

The one that says that any player receiving a blow to the head cannot play until seeing a doctor - meaning that if one key player got a blow to the early on head he had to be replaced - by a less good player, and then it went downhill from there.
    Or a coach telling his players to be ultra aggressive and go for head shots. That or his team is making that decision and he's got no clue or control over them. I mean the coach was found to not be violating any rules but still 9 is way high. Highest I ever saw for high school level was 3

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    You participate in sports at your own risk. Not sure why it should be banned if you participate willingly.
    Advocating for personal responsibility is currently not in vogue. In fact, it is quite the opposite.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blamblam41 View Post
    Maybe the school budget shouldn't be dictated by capitalism.
    Maybe the school shouldnt be buying sports equipment and spend the money they get on books and pencils. Make the parents buy the shit that their kids need to play games instead of people who dont even have kids. We are only responsible as a society to provide education. We shouldnt be paying for sports, band, and other clubs

So make them sign a consent form before the season starts who cares. Why is all this stuff that has been happening for decades just now being an issue? pussification

10+ Year Old Account
    If you ban everything that kills or injures someone then we will have nothing left.

There is not a single thing in life that somehow someway could not injure you.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would say if you got into it before their were any head injuries, then what exactly is the problem. At some point you made a conscious decision before you played the game.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/n...tans-1.4355765

I'm not sure why this is still legal? There's plenty of other sports out there which are much more safer, not to mention healthier.

It's high time we banned it so that these horrific brain injuries can stop.
    Fun fact, I served up a ~103 mph serve in a local tournament when I was 18 that had bounced up and hit the kid square in his nose. He stumbled backwards, tripped and fell and smacked his head on the court. They had to forfeit that game due to a concussion.

Let's ban Tennis! (No please don't I love Tennis).

This is about handegg, isn't it?
    Was wondering how they could get nine head injuries during a football game, then saw it was a thread by Tenn.

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmodias View Post
    Headhunting usually (Targeting the head and neck) The idea is to intentionally hit player hard enough to knock them out of a game. During my high school football days, we heard rumor that some of the schools ran a program that saw players get rewards for knocking players out of games. Never proved it though. And yes, American football involves a helmet and pads. With the way some players hit... a helmet doesn't do a whole lot.

As for banning the game... I don't think that's the right course of action. It's a contact sport and things happen. 9 in a game is a freak occurrence and tells me one of two things: The players doing the hitting were intentionally targeting the opponent's head and neck region with hits, or, the team taking the hits isn't well versed in protecting themselves. If I had to guess, it's the first option.

Don't ban the game. Expunge the players who can't follow the rules, the coaches who let it happen, the administrations that hide it and the rest falls into place.
    Step 2- apply the bolded to about 95% of every single other action where 2 or more humans interact with eachother in an official/organized capacity. You won.

(p.s. Read the note, saw "Sackville", immediately thought "Sackville Bagginses", saw it was some team playing the football; realized this is not my thread)
    Last edited by AcidicSyn; 2017-10-16 at 09:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blamblam41 View Post
    Maybe the school budget shouldn't be dictated by capitalism.
    We're still talking about America, right?

Everything is dictated by capitalism. Everything. Healthcare, the prison system, education, everything.

Re: all the responses to my post (too many to reply to :P), good points on the helmets/head injuries.

It's still astonishing to me that you can get 9 concussions in one game though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Molis View Post
    If you ban everything that kills or injures someone then we will have nothing left.

There is not a single thing in life that somehow someway could not injure you.
    Wrong. You ban the most dangerous sports out there that are damaging society. Next!

I'm enjoying tonight's MNF game. Gladiators laying some big hits, conservatives crying about kneeling, and them playing despite Tennisace's faux outrage. Great night.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    We only burn oil in this house! Oil that comes from decent, god-fearing sources like dinosaurs! Which didn't exist!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bungeebungee View Post
    Absolutely. When I was a kid in Canada, we stuck to safer stuff. We played lots of soccer and hockey. At least in those days we also bounced around on a trampoline and there was even a bit of lacrosse.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10823540 https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/04/29/trampoline-injuries-fractures-broken-bones_n_5227768.html
    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/injuries-on-the-rise-in-high-school-lacrosse/
    Wow. I see you're trying to be clever. Reality is we focus on the most dangerous sport first which is high school football. A case can be made for hockey. Soccer is fine.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's a Tennisace thread, but even a broken clock is right twice a day. He may have used this for his weekly dig at America, ignoring the violence that occurs in hockey or the even greater head trauma that may be taking place in soccer, but head injuries as a long term risk associated with high school team sports deserves some awareness.

This is an area that I follow to some degree since I have been getting slammed on mats and floors, kicked in the head, struck in the head with just about every other part of the body, and beaten with weapons both real and simulated since I was ... just a sec, lost my train of thou ... oh, yeah, ten. Yeah, I'm one of the guys following this and wondering.

Here's the problem as far as consent -- where do you stand on statutory rape?

If a person that age or younger cannot -- as a matter of law -- have the maturity to consent to sex, there is no logical basis to believe that they are any better able to understand the long term risks of a concussion. That is particularly true since those risks are still being studied. There is enough information to show that it is more serious than we previously thought, but we're not sure just how that works. Since the long term risk of such injury isn't well understood, the parents can't really be expected to give informed consent either.

The Great Firewall is turned up to high for the 19th Party Plenum, so I'm not going to try to lay out more than a couple of high points to consider. I have no way to evaluate these studies in comparison to the other literature that might turn up if Google and many other websites weren't blocked. What is available makes me think this is more than the "pussification" that I see some invoking.

Studies of TBI are in the early stages: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2918269/
    To the best of our knowledge, this is the second published study examining aggression in non-delirious patients within the first three months of TBI. Our finding of a significant association between poor psychosocial functioning and verbal aggression underscores the point that psychosocial support is an important aspect of emotional recovery and therefore should be an integral part of rehabilitation. Our preliminary finding that incident new-onset major depression after TBI, but not recurrent major depression, is associated with post-TBI aggression is novel and may have substantial implications for the phenomenology and treatment of post-TBI aggression.
    Bad things may happen later in life: https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0425104714.htm
    Almost half of all homeless men who took part in a study had suffered at least one traumatic brain injury in their life and 87 percent of those injuries occurred before the men lost their homes. While assaults were a major cause of those traumatic brain injuries, or TBIs, (60 per cent) many were caused by potentially non-violent mechanisms such as sports and recreation (44 per cent) and motor vehicle collisions and falls (42 per cent).
    Similar findings occur with other studies: https://www.news-medical.net/news/20...in-injury.aspx
    The Barrow program provides both medical care and social service assistance for homeless victims who have sustained a TBI as a result of domestic violence. It was created after Barrow social worker Ashley Bridwell and physicians identified a three-way link between homelessness, domestic violence and TBI. The medical team has found many victims are suffering from a full spectrum of side effects that can lead to the loss of a job, income, and eventually homelessness.
    "This is the third chapter in the concussion story," says Dr. Zieman. "First it was veterans, then it evolved into professional athletes, and now we're identifying brain injuries in victims of domestic violence. And, unlike well-paid football players, these patients rarely have the support, money and other resources needed to get help."[/Quote]

But we're still trying to figure things out: https://sports.yahoo.com/news/footba...161625351.html
    "It's not a given, it's not a certainty, that an individual playing contact sports will get brain damage,” said sports neurologist Jeffrey Kutcher. “The link is more complex than simple cause-and-effect.”
    Where do we stand now? Here's one view: https://www.theverge.com/2017/7/3/15...encephalopathy
    There are limitations, of course, and Small cautions against “over-interpreting the results.” First, anyone who “played high-school football” played for at least a year, but we don’t have data on whether they played before, or continued to play later on. Plus, we don’t have health records. Football may have also changed a lot from the 1950s until now; today, the game may be more aggressive.

Still, the study highlights the need for further research and the ways in which the narrative around traumatic brain injury might have been skewed, Small says. “There’s a lot of attention on CTE without solid research showing how prevalent it is,” he says. For instance, some football players experiencing depression think they have CTE because they think CTE is extremely common. Then, they feel hopeless and don’t get help because they believe that CTE is “irreversible.” But it could be that they have depression without brain injury, and could be treated.

Next, Small’s team wants to see if more detailed exposure data on football — like how many years someone played, or the position — changes the outcome. People need more information to make a decision about football, since playing sports can obviously have positive effects too, he says. So, would Small tell his own child to play? “My feeling is that, along the spectrum of things that carry health risks, it might be that football is in the moderate category instead of the extreme category,” he says. “But further research needs to be done.”

His own science backs him up. A study Kutcher co-authored in the British Journal of Sports Medicine in 2013 concluded "the speculation that repeated concussion or subconcussive impacts cause CTE remains unproven. The extent to which age-related changes, psychiatric or mental health illness, alcohol/drug use or coexisting dementing illnesses contribute to this process is largely unaccounted for in the published literature."
    Study cited in article above: https://jamanetwork.com/collections/...c-brain-injury
    Last edited by shadowmouse; 2017-10-17 at 03:40 AM. Reason: markup error
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/n...tans-1.4355765

I'm not sure why this is still legal? There's plenty of other sports out there which are much more safer, not to mention healthier.

It's high time we banned it so that these horrific brain injuries can stop.
    Cram that shit up your ass.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace
    Soccer is fine.
    You might want to actually read some of those studies so you sound a smidge less ignorant. First one linked:
    CONCLUSION: Peak accelerations as measured at the surface of the head were 160 to 180% greater from heading a soccer ball than from routine (noninjurious) impacts during hockey or football, respectively. The effect of cumulative impacts at this level may lead to neurologic sequelae.
    It is more fun to mock you with facts. Try to keep up.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.