Page 1 of 13
... LastLast
    Deleted

Activision, now rigging you to buy micro transactions.

TL;DR Activision just patented a system for Destiny 2 which matches you against players better than you, to motivate you into buying shortcuts with real money.
    https://www.rollingstone.com/glixel/...-items-w509288

This seems almost illegal. If not illegal, highly immoral. It targets what potentially is children with underhanded sales tactics. Not only that, but it will intentionally make an unfair match to do so.

After reading that, I took it to mean they put you on the same team as the marquee player (tailored to match what the game thinks you are trying to do) to try and get you to buy the same stuff they have.

Still a bit underhanded but not what you posted.

Fuck... Was hoping it might be an exaggeration. I mean the system, if used morally, could enhance matchmaking to make it more fair. But according to the article, the patent specifically says it can be used to purposefully make unfair matches.

I'm still hoping this is some sort of hoax, and that it's complete bullshit. I mean, who wants to play literally rigged games? Micro-transactions or no, that's shit.

I'm still a bit skeptical about it though. It seems odd that they'd need a more advanced matchmaking system to rig games, you'd think a more basic one would be able to handle such a under-handed task just fine. It seems even more odd that they wouldn't try to hide it at all, but would spell it out in the patent itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Jodmos View Post
    After reading that, I took it to mean they put you on the same team as the marquee player (tailored to match what the game thinks you are trying to do) to try and get you to buy the same stuff they have.

To be matched with a high ranked player, means you'll still be matched against one as well. You'll be an ant in the middle of a battlefield controlled by gods. A grunt who's only purpose is cannon fodder.
    Last edited by Danuru; 2017-10-17 at 09:16 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by tikcol View Post
    WoW is ending soon. Mark my words right here right now.
    They're shifting to a Diablo MMO and putting World of Warcraft on hold for the moment/a while.
    Prophet tikcol at your disposal any day, any time.
    Spoken by the great prophet on 6/29/17

Quote Originally Posted by Jodmos View Post

Well, yes, it pretty much says what the OP claims.

Especially this part is almost vicious:
    "For example, if the player purchased a particular weapon, the microtransaction engine may match the player in a gameplay session in which the particular weapon is highly effective, giving the player an impression that the particular weapon was a good purchase. This may encourage the player to make future purchases to achieve similar gameplay results."

I don't play Destiny but assume there must be PVP and that's what you're getting at.

Because it was about putting you on the same side I thought it was like the dungeon finder in wow for pve content.

Quote Originally Posted by Puri View Post
    Well, yes, it pretty much says what the OP claims.

Especially this part is almost vicious:
    "For example, if the player purchased a particular weapon, the microtransaction engine may match the player in a gameplay session in which the particular weapon is highly effective, giving the player an impression that the particular weapon was a good purchase. This may encourage the player to make future purchases to achieve similar gameplay results."
    But if the weapon IS highly effective in that map or whatever, what’s the big deal again?

Quote Originally Posted by spanishninja View Post
    But if the weapon IS highly effective in that map or whatever, what’s the big deal again?
    Is this a real question? It pretty much means you can buy success. It literally says what's the big deal in the last sentence.

After singleplayer lootboxes, this is the next step in 'evolution' of gaming?
    Last edited by Sorshen; 2017-10-17 at 09:27 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    aren't you glad WoW isn't free to play? Because shit like this would be cropping up.

I'm glad they made a hardline against this kind of thing in Overwatch from the start.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    I really don't get the outrage. It's basically using top players as a way to showcase the value of their product, and ensuring the customer feels the value in that purchase.

Would it potentially incentivize more purchases? Sure. So what? People are buying more stuff they want to have, and enjoying what they buy. That's not a "bad thing". Nothing in there suggested they were going to be creating unbalanced matches, which is the only way I'd see this as being "bad", since that would create lower win rates for non-paying customers on purpose.

I don't see an issue with sparing those that are better then you. Learning from those that are better then you is a great way to learn.

Nowhere in that article did they say this was going to be used for Destiny 2. They just used the Eververse store picture for clickbait.
    You can't even buy guns with real money in Destiny 2. My guess would be the next CoD.
    Last edited by thenewclient; 2017-10-17 at 09:30 PM.

Guess in 1-2 years we will be required to buy loot boxes to finish the game.

Easy solution: don't play p2w games.

I'm fine with it... Why? Because that's how the market work.

You want to have better items? Buy them.

You don't want to play that game only because it relies on your pocket instead of your skill? Don't buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    aren't you glad WoW isn't free to play? Because shit like this would be cropping up.

I'm glad they made a hardline against this kind of thing in Overwatch from the start.
    This wouldn't be just about useful items. What about skins and such? Matching you with someone who uses the same character as you, in HoTS for instance, but with a bought skin, may entice a player to get that skin if they like it.

Frankly a game with that sort of policy wouldn't get my money in the first place, and it's not like Activision has a good rep anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Eazy View Post
    I'm fine with it... Why? Because that's how the market work.

You want to have better items? Buy them.

You don't want to play that game only because it relies on your pocket instead of your skill? Don't buy it.
    this is fine in F2P games ... not in full price games.

10+ Year Old Account
    I love things like this.

Activision just patented a system for Destiny 2 which matches you against players better than you, to motivate you into buying shortcuts with real money.

If all players are getting matched against players better.....then what constitutes a better player?
    Since a player better than you will also be matched against a player better than them?

Holes amongst the Layers.

Well weather it's obviously trying to push people to buy things in the game or not I can't for the life of me think of buying this game. I got the first one for free on my PS4 and I still felt like it was a waste of money.

Quote Originally Posted by spanishninja View Post
    Other than that the weapon might only be effective on that map? You go to the next map and, if you want to be as effective as you were on the last, you have to buy another weapon...and so on and so forth.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.