Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Maybe states with under a population of 1.5 million or so should be reduced to territory status and lose their Senators.... Hmmmmm.....

Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    There is more to life than money (which is why you couldn't pay me enough to live in the Bay Area again).
    So, they're just whiny then.

Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    Maybe states with under a population of 1.5 million or so should be reduced to territory status and lose their Senators.... Hmmmmm.....
    Well, if Puerto Rico has more than twice that and doesn't get represented then why should Wyoming?

Quote Originally Posted by Jettisawn View Post
    I was thinking of an article I read about it. I sorta took their math at face value, because I don't think it accounts for things like cost of living.

https://techcrunch.com/2014/02/05/wh...e-in-7-graphs/

If we go by per capita, I think those numbers are close. If we do it by household, they are low. As for economy, SV GDP in 2016 was 535 billion and LA Metro Area is over 1 trillion.

- - - Updated - - -

That would make Jefferson a territory.
    Last edited by Rasulis; 2017-10-18 at 07:26 AM.

So you'd have 2 rich states and 3 poor states? I'm not seeing how the poor states would want this.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    So you'd have 2 rich states and 3 poor states? I'm not seeing how the poor states would want this.
    It defies common sense, yet the people living in one of the proposed poor states (Jefferson) are the ones pushing for this.

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammerfest View Post
    Interesting idea presented on Adam Carolla's show... break California up into 6 states and let them compete.
    The problem is that even with that break down, there will still be groups of people / regions that won't agree 100% with what their new state has to say.

And why stop with California? Why not Texas? There are certainly areas of Texas, centered around their large cities, that vehemently disagree with the state at large.

Ultimately, that is why this isn't a smart idea. If we did this for every state with disagreements, we'd end up with 200 or so states.

As for the video, most of the content is nonsense. The cable choice analogy is especially laughable. This only makes sense to people who have no clue what state governments do and how the processes work.

10+ Year Old Account
    Here's a thought: No

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zmaniac17 View Post
    They said competition like a million times.
    Did you happen to catch there point on competition?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nexx226 View Post
    No. This is dumb.
    How astute.

Suuuuure, right after we give half of Texas back to Mexico.

10+ Year Old Account
    I see what u did there
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by unbound View Post
    The problem is that even with that break down, there will still be groups of people / regions that won't agree 100% with what their new state has to say.
    Right, so they can move to a better sub-California state. That's discussed in the video.

Also what is the fascination with posting random vids of assholes with opinions like anyone is supposed to give a shit?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sky High View Post
    Suuuuure, right after we give half of Texas back to Mexico.
    Half of it?
    And why only Texas?
    Arizona, California, Colorado, Nevada, New Mexico, Utah and Wyoming are Mexican too. In some parts or entirely, depending on the state.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    Half of it?
    And why only Texas?
    Arizona, California, Colorado, Nevada, New Mexico, Utah and Wyoming are Mexican too. In some parts or entirely, depending on the state.
    Dont forget Oklahoma and Southern and Western parts of Kansas, as they were part of Texas.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by petej0 View Post
    Dont forget Oklahoma and Southern and Western parts of Kansas, as they were part of Texas.
    No wonder Trump wants to build a wall.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shon237 View Post
    You just don't get it. Its one of the dirty libbbbbbberal states and for some reason it is so unfair that the few cukservatives don't get their equal representation.
    Actually, that would multiply the Californian voting power 4 times for the next presidential election...

That's hardly a benefit for Republicans.

I support this as it might eventually lead to me breaking off my property from the United States totally and I can live my dream of being my own president.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammerfest View Post
    Interesting idea presented on Adam Carolla's show... break California up into 6 states and let them compete.

As long as we do the same for other states . . . oh, wait - we just want to break up the state that decides all the elections, right?

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    As long as we do the same for other states . . . oh, wait - we just want to break up the state that decides all the elections, right?
    you mean Ohio? no? Florida? no.. any of the rust belt states? no...