Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathreim View Post
    "snip"
    Well said. He might as well try to drain the ocean with a straw. I don't believe he's sincere anyway, just shooting a line of bs for PR reasons.

EDIT: maybe quoting memes not such a good idea
    Last edited by Realitytrembles; 2017-10-25 at 12:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardstyler01 View Post
    You blame people for being realists while you're the naive one here.
    Bullshit, is all I have to say to your insipid contribution.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Letting women drive is a token symbol to appease criticism. If they want to actually do something, then they need to enact legislation that gives men and women equal rights in everything, not just one thing at a time and that only after it has turned the Saudis into a laughing stock.

They could virtually copy paste similar legislation from somewhere like the UK, where it is tried and tested, so the Saudis wouldn’t even have to do the legwork.
    But Saudi Arabia has been moving slowly toward achieving equality. They have given women more power especially when it comes to work. 5 years ago you wouldn't see a women working the register in the wal-mart equivalent stores in Saudi Arabia. Now, things has changed. These are important, even if they didn't make a big of a splash news wise to be reported internationally so you can hear about it. Change doesn't happen instantly.

All I want is

1. Seperation of church and state.
    2. A constitution.
    3. Democracy but I'd settle for a Constitutional Monarchy.

3 is optional, 2 would be nice, but 1 is absolutely mandatory. Whether you believe in an Invisible Wizard or not the kingdom of heaven and kingdom of man must have boundaries and manage their own affairs and enforce their own respective laws on their own respective denizens.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by pionock View Post
    I've got some hope that he'll follow through with this. Islam in its current form is a cancerous ideology and no amount of apologists in the form of Linda Sarsour and Reza Aslan will fix it. The religion desperately needs the same reform that Christianity got ages ago. We need Islam to be as toothless as Christianity.

You've got my support, crown prince, even though I still hate your country.

- - - Updated - - -

They really are some of the nicest people at times. I've been living in Kuwait for over two years now, and they are always so quick to give you a seat, some coffee or tea, and some treats. They can be extremely hospitable. Doesn't mean they're not dicks in other ways like traffic.

Oh, and when spoken right, Arabic is one of the most chocolately sounding languages. It just soothes you.

[Infracted - Religion-bashing]
    Can you show the part where he bashed a religion please?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dr2022 View Post
    But Saudi Arabia has been moving slowly toward achieving equality. They have given women more power especially when it comes to work. 5 years ago you wouldn't see a women working the register in the wal-mart equivalent stores in Saudi Arabia. Now, things has changed. These are important, even if they didn't make a big of a splash news wise to be reported internationally so you can hear about it. Change doesn't happen instantly.
    They might even allow women to drive, as long as they get their 'guardian' to give them permission to apply for a licence.

Combined with there being at least one woman working a till Saudi is a shining beacon of a progressive religious based stste.

I give him the benefit of the doubt because he's incredibly young and he's not promising something outrageous. Go his ideas far enough for our standards? Yeah, of course not. But he's right in that you also just can't flip the table over night on social norms fostered by generations, as fucked up as they might appear.

It's believable because it's a humble start, whether he's merely deceiving the world for political gain remains to be seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Cheese View Post
    Moderate muslims are a fucking meme. Preachy and full of virtue, acting like they are above the rest of their people on how barbaric their beliefs can be. But they are in reality, just as bad.

I honestly don't like Islam.
    Last edited by Daedius; 2017-10-25 at 02:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dkwhyevernot View Post
    Can you show the part where he bashed a religion please?
    At the risk of another infraction, I think it's because I equated a religion with a rapidly multiplying and deadly disease. It's all good, I hardly post on this site, mostly lurk, and most things I post are innocuous. I'll take my lumps on this one. I'm not too worried.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by pionock View Post
    At the risk of another infraction, I think it's because I equated a religion with a rapidly multiplying and deadly disease. It's all good, I hardly post on this site, mostly lurk, and most things I post are innocuous. I'll take my lumps on this one. I'm not too worried.
    I honestly didn't notice that and still can't see it. Was it edited out of your post?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Josuke View Post
    Yeah you realize Russia and the US had a very big hand in that right?

"Let's arm the mujihadeen what could possibly go wrong"
    How is it Russia fault that us likes to arm the wrong people?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerWolf View Post

I honestly don't like Islam.
    I don't like any religions. I thought I liked Buddhists but it turns out they're just as bad as the rest.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by WhatAgain666 View Post
    And now the situation has been reversed with Moscow now arming the Taliban!!

OH had we caught Bin Laden before Sept 11th what a different world we would be living in!
    They don't arm the taliban, u think they want to neighbor an insane fundamentalist state?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post
    'Moderate'.

Yeah, sure.
    Yeah, that is the problem. Islam has always been radical. I can only imagine moderate for them would be not threatning other countries. I dunno, but this is better than what we have been getting.

10+ Year Old Account
    Somewhere between here and the sick, twisted world inside my head
    Quote Originally Posted by arandomuser View Post
    Aha imagine a world where the US a nation founded on religious freedom and indiviudal liberty starts persecuting muslims and saudi arabia starts accepting jews/christians as equals, well with how things are looking this could be the case within the next 30 years.
    Also imagine if the USA could brag with never having had a President who's mentally unstable and unfit to rule the country. But sadly, it can't, just look at the current President.
    But at least it looks like saudi arabia is heading somewhere good, if it becomes reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Ser Arthur Dayne View Post
    They don't arm the taliban, u think they want to neighbor an insane fundamentalist state?
    Like Chechnya?

Play the game dude did you think the US wanted that back when they funded the same guys they are now fighting?

Every secret agency has no concept of long term consequences!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    Do you really think they can just hand wave and do that? Do you realize they had to threatened and throw people in jail to even let this pass? You have too high of an expectation of the Saudis, it takes centuries for countries as secular as this to change. If the crown prince doesn't get killed he is at least attempted to point the country in the right direction one baby step at a time.
    Is it impossible to make laws in Saudi Arabia? No, so they can enact gender equality legislation.

They don’t deserve a pat on the back for letting women drive, that should be a given.

If the Handmaid’s Tale had been set in Saudi Arabia it would have been a documentary.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shnider View Post
    There is no proof that Saudi Arabia support terrorism as a government.
    Saudi Arabia was fighting extremism since 9/11 and never got recognized for it.

I can summarize it in one word. FOX.

- - - Updated - - -

The heck are you talking about.

If you don't work, you don't get a salary.
    So what is the shit the Saudis doin in Yemen called?
    Last edited by Blade Wolf; 2017-10-25 at 03:31 PM.
    "when i'm around you i'm like a level 5 metapod. all i can do is harden!"

Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    The people who cry for censorship aren't going to be buying the game anyway. Censoring it, is going to piss off the people who were going to buy it.
    Barret: It's a good thing we had those Phoenix Downs.
    Cloud: You have the downs!

10+ Year Old Account
    Well I wish you luck matey, but I think your fundamentalist asshole cohorts aren't going to let that happen so long as they're taking money from the west to keep it that way, makes for a wonderful narrative. Assuming you're not already in that basket and lying through your teeth which I won't put off the table either.

I have nothing against Islam, or Muslims in general, I have things against the way it is taught and practiced in many countries and what you're talking about seems like you know it's wrong, but I sincerely doubt your ability to actually fix it. Radicalization of Islam is just as rampant in Saudi as Christianity is in parts of the US. Please fucking stop it. I'd love a world where you both just fucking stopped using Gods to justify perpetual hatred. But I'm sure you'd find something else to cling to in a justification too. So forgive me if I'm a bit bloody pessimistic about it.
    I have eaten all the popcorn, I left none for anyone else.

Deleted
    Well, while I remain skeptical this does give me hope. This actually sounds like a cautious reform rather than what is usually called that: Changing nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Josuke View Post
    Jesus how ignorant are people about Islam? ??? It's like you guys learn about it from info-wars or some shit
    I actually despise Info Wars and am fairly liberal... but after reading the first half of the Quran I must say it is somewhat frightening. So is the Bible, especially the old testament, mind you, but most Christians and Jews have a adapted a culture of "choose and pick" and benign interpretations when it comes to doctrine. Islam is very adamant about the Quran being the direct word of god and not possibly subject to interpretation. There are some sects of Islam who do that, though, and they are judged harshly by the two main sects as a result. Who are pretty much all that matters due to their enormous size compared to those smaller confessions.

I am not a racist, I would never judge someone by who they are. I don't judge Muslims either way, as they are a somewhat a product of the place they grew up in. Like all of us are. But I do view the religion and doctrine of Islam as something that is in dire need of reform, acting like it already distanced itself from all the malice contained within cannot be the right way.
    Last edited by mmoc43b1bfde29; 2017-10-25 at 04:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by thevoicefromwithin View Post
    Maybe moderate and modern? Modern Islam sounds like stoning by tipper truck instead of by hand...
    Just modern without any religion man. Not "modern Islam".