Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I still (barely) use a TV from around the millennium switch.

I have no reason to upgrade; I almost exclusively use my PC.

The Lightbringer Rend Blackhand's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I have an old second generation ipod nano. It still works, i have no reason to get rid of it.
    Me not that kind of Orc!

I use a cassette to 3.5 inch audio plug in my 15 year old lexus because it only has a tape deck ;P

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Thelxi View Post
    Actually yeah I have this ancient 2GB USB stick that I still use quite a bit.
    HAH.

I still have a 256mb USB stick :P

I still use MiniDiscs.

Of course.

Take for example vinyl LP records of which I have around 1500 of them. Now digital recording should technically absolutely blow away any old bullshit technology like vinyl records, but it doesn't and here's why:

The loudness war, setting the dynamic range so that it actually cuts off at either end of the dynamic range simply so that music seems louder. At first it seems cool and then the "sameness" of the volume levels starts to wear you down - some talk of MP3 fatigue, I think its just loudness war BS. I have some CDs where the loudness at the upper range effectively hits the wall of what normal speakers can produce and it simply makes something like a pronounced clicking noise. More here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudness_war Point simply being greed gets in the way of producing superior digital recordings that should leave vinyl in the dust.

12" format allows for far more interesting artwork and gatefold presentations. In the world of flac or any superior digital format I guess its possible to have full screen PDFs, video content, maybe even some sort of interactive UI. But most recordings don't have any of those things. In the old days we had large format albums that had huge covers that themselves could actually be displayed and many of which were actually interesting. The cover might fold in gatefold fashion, or albums like Queen's Jazz might actually contain a miniposter of the nude bicycle race (which I have). Sgt Pepper had cards, a fake paper moustache, a poster and other weird shit. Captain Fantastic had a gatefold cover, a poster of the cover illustration, and a set of pamphlets of Elton John scrapbook type stuff and an illustrated booklet of lyrics.

So sure, sometimes you can get high quality digital recordings of the Beatles or Queen or Zeppelin that are superior in every way to vinyl - but a lot of the time no such thing is actually available.

So yeah, vinyl on my old Yamaha platter.

But in truth I make almost everything I own keep working for me until no further repairs are either possible, affordable or even worth it. I have no real interest in trying to keep up with the latest versions of software so I still use two fully licensed copies of Adobe CS3 Studio (one is the internet/print version and the other is for multimedia) and I keep Win7 systems running exactly for that purpose. I still use a 10 year old large format scanner, printer, and a five year old Wacom tablet.

I guess most would consider it obsolete.

I still use a flip phone:

The catch is, its heavy duty. So you can throw it against the ground or throw it in water and its fine.

10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum
    Quote Originally Posted by Louisa Bannon View Post
    Of course.

Take for example vinyl LP records of which I have around 1500 of them. Now digital recording should technically absolutely blow away any old bullshit technology like vinyl records, but it doesn't and here's why:

The loudness war, setting the dynamic range so that it actually cuts off at either end of the dynamic range simply so that music seems louder. At first it seems cool and then the "sameness" of the volume levels starts to wear you down - some talk of MP3 fatigue, I think its just loudness war BS. I have some CDs where the loudness at the upper range effectively hits the wall of what normal speakers can produce and it simply makes something like a pronounced clicking noise. More here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudness_war Point simply being greed gets in the way of producing superior digital recordings that should leave vinyl in the dust.

12" format allows for far more interesting artwork and gatefold presentations. In the world of flac or any superior digital format I guess its possible to have full screen PDFs, video content, maybe even some sort of interactive UI. But most recordings don't have any of those things. In the old days we had large format albums that had huge covers that themselves could actually be displayed and many of which were actually interesting. The cover might fold in gatefold fashion, or albums like Queen's Jazz might actually contain a miniposter of the nude bicycle race (which I have). Sgt Pepper had cards, a fake paper moustache, a poster and other weird shit. Captain Fantastic had a gatefold cover, a poster of the cover illustration, and a set of pamphlets of Elton John scrapbook type stuff and an illustrated booklet of lyrics.

So sure, sometimes you can get high quality digital recordings of the Beatles or Queen or Zeppelin that are superior in every way to vinyl - but a lot of the time no such thing is actually available.

So yeah, vinyl on my old Yamaha platter.

But in truth I make almost everything I own keep working for me until no further repairs are either possible, affordable or even worth it. I have no real interest in trying to keep up with the latest versions of software so I still use two fully licensed copies of Adobe CS3 Studio (one is the internet/print version and the other is for multimedia) and I keep Win7 systems running exactly for that purpose. I still use a 10 year old large format scanner, printer, and a five year old Wacom tablet.
    I'm seriously impressed.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post

I still use a flip phone:

The catch is, its heavy duty. So you can throw it against the ground or throw it in water and its fine.
    it doubles as a brick to throw at someone.

I still have some VHS tape of movies from ages ago , like mask/face off/tarzan... and still got vhs player so sometime i connect it and watch some movie for nostalgia feel.

All the time. I have a steel model Ipod nano before they started making them super thin out of plastic. Its solid steel and the size of a gameboy game, plays video in a pinch but i fill it with 4gbs of songs and the battery lasts for ages. i carry it around in my bag incase my phones low on power because the things survived car wrecks and falls out of 4th story windows and keeps on going. I work in media and often have to transfer things from old mediums which means keeping tapes and old video formats like super 8 or old 8mm casettes around with the stuff to play them. To say nothing of consoles and the like.

-Though its funny this can also apply to digital nowadays. I still use my CS3 mastersuite for my editing suite because A: it works fine B: i paid £400 and that was a heavy student discount back in 2008 and C: all the modern versions you dont own but rent from adobe and can be locked out of. So even digitally theres some stuff i use the 'obsolete' versions because its better or i just prefer it.

Which kind of reminds me of how a lot of millenials want an apple watch for christmas but can't tell the time on a normal two hand clock or watch face anymore.

I refuse to own cars (bikes too, but it's less of a problem with them) without a manual transmission.

10+ Year Old Account
    Interesting topic, but I think the answer is no, the oldest tech I use is my 3 year old phone.

10+ Year Old Account
    I still use pen and paper sometimes.

I use a 10 year old laptop for my work stuff. Put an ssd on it though, it was unbearable otherwise.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by evilpresence View Post
    My desktop is still rocking an i7 930. Only have time to play WoW and it runs WoW so why upgrade? Was using a Dell 19" widescreen that was about 8 years old up until it died a few months ago. Some would say using 3.5mm is obsolete but it'll be hard to let go of my ATH-M50x for bluetooth (of course there is a $50 adapter for them now). Would an iPad2 be considered old? Probably, but it still works. I've had my eye on a Marantz 2270 but can't pull the trigger for reasons unknown. I also used a Casio G'zone Boulder (you read right - FLIP PHONE) up until 2.5 years ago.

Yup, I work in IT.
    Dude no-one cares.

Ot: I am thinking, can't find anything personally tbh.

10+ Year Old Account
    Books?

Although I'm trying to convince my family to get me at tablet for Xmas

Although it is really rare, like 6 times per year, I occasionally watch the TV. Yeah, I know.

And although not quite as antiquated, I have lots of LP records in pristine condition that I play.
    I have a retro computer that I sometimes play games on by floppy.

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    I wouldn't say obsolete. Different user requirements.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    I still use pen and paper sometimes.
    Tree killer!

Quote Originally Posted by Schattenlied View Post
    My car (made in 1972) and my motorcycle (made in 1986) are both "obsolete technology" I guess, so, yes.
    Dated but not really obsolete.