Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by satimy View Post
    Yea prop 227 was passed because the "bilingual" education program before it was a dishonest trick and it turned into non english classes and segregation of non english speaking students. The repeal was passed and supported by big money super pacs, and the opposition was just the common california parent that wants a good education and integration for their children.
    How can it be intended to stop segregation when 227 specifically mandates that LEP student be taught in separate classes?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I've not been able to find any evidence of this being the result of the repeal.
    It's satimy. I wouldn't hold my breath kek.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    It's satimy. I wouldn't hold my breath kek.
    No need to insult people when it's so far being remarkably chill and civil you know.
    Last edited by Theodarzna; 2017-11-02 at 05:23 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

No need to insult people when it's so far being remarkably chill and civil you know.
    "Satimy" is an insult? You said it not me.

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    "Satimy" is an insult? You said it not me.
    I'm asking you just discuss the topic like a civil--and I assume grown adult--person and save your personal gripes with posters for some other thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

I'm asking you just discuss the topic like a civil--and I assume grown adult--person and save your personal gripes with posters for some other thread.
    I have no personal gripes with anyone, just a realistic appraisal of your likelihood of getting any sense out of some.

You took a lot of offence on his behalf, for something that was perfectly civil.

How can it be intended to stop segregation when 227 specifically mandates that LEP student be taught in separate classes?
    Because it requires students to learn the language, instead of slowing everybody down, disrupting the teaching process. It has nothing to do with segregation.

Quote Originally Posted by Atethecat View Post
    I'm always kind of thrown off by reading kanji unless it's the obvious words. Probably because I'm a beginner that's regressed a bit due a decrease in enthusiasm towards learning the language more recently (fucking weebs killed the wonder in learning it).
    Eh, I wouldn't blame the weebs, it's more just that for the longest time, Japan was the ONLY developed country outside the West, and thus they were sort of the go to if you wanted something alien and exotic, but didn't want to deal with third world deprivation and instability. Nowadays, things have changed quite a bit and you have a lot more choice when it comes to weird foreign cultures, to the point where Japan seems almost familiar and boring by comparison.

If you really think about it, the Japanese writing system is not some magical or mystical code, it's just the result of people trying to adapt the, only writing script in existence, as far as they knew, to their own completely unrelated language. A lot of Asian countries adopted Chinese characters to write their languages, and in pretty much every single case it was a horrible fit and was eventually dropped in favor of something more practical, such as Vietnamese being written in the Latin alphabet. This is a bit of a shame too, because Vietnamese writing always comes off more like poorly transcribed English text than anything authentically foreign, which makes it a lot less exotic and appealing than Japanese in that way.
    Last edited by Macaquerie; 2017-11-02 at 08:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tackhisis View Post
    Because it requires students to learn the language, instead of slowing everybody down, disrupting the teaching process. It has nothing to do with segregation.
    Why are you telling me that?

Not speaking as an American but I think everyone would benefit to learn Spanish as a mandatory second language if English was made official and Portuguese as a choice. With Spanish and Portuguese you could live basically in South America if you fancied. As a Western European I learned English as second language from first grade and German from third by choice.

It gets funny when more people in America speak Spanish than English and more people in US speak native Spanish than in Spain.

Quote Originally Posted by Saft View Post
    Not speaking as an American but I think everyone would benefit to learn Spanish as a mandatory second language if English was made official and Portuguese as a choice. With Spanish and Portuguese you could live basically in South America if you fancied. As a Western European I learned English as second language from first grade and German from third by choice.

It gets funny when more people in America speak Spanish than English and more people in US speak native Spanish than in Spain.
    There are more native English speakers in the USA than in England also. Pretty much all of the languages that people speak here are foreign, but with English we have sort of wrested control of it from the British and made it our own, to the point where our standard is the one taught around the world. A similar process should happen with Spanish once there is a critical mass of Spanish speakers here, because it's not like any of the Latin countries is going to step up as the trend setter any time soon.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zanderken3 View Post
    i wanto el taco pleaseo uno mas... thanko you-o... witho a pepsi-o.... keep the chango...
    Une Grande bier sivulplait (points)

Quote Originally Posted by Macaquerie View Post
    There are more native English speakers in the USA than in England also. Pretty much all of the languages that people speak here are foreign, but with English we have sort of wrested control of it from the British and made it our own, to the point where our standard is the one taught around the world. A similar process should happen with Spanish once there is a critical mass of Spanish speakers here, because it's not like any of the Latin countries is going to step up as the trend setter any time soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    Yeah, except that the only reason that programs need to distinguish between traditional and simplified Chinese is that they use two different character sets, they are in pretty much every other respect identical. So unless the British have gone back to writing in futhark, there would be no need to make a similar distinction for English. Besides, when it comes to a language, the easier it is to pick up, understand, and learn, the more useful it is for communication. Only snobs think that something being arbitrarily complicated makes it better.

English is replacing many languages in Europe today because of the European common market.

It doesn't look like languages co-exist for very long. Usually one replaces another.

Of course, in 5-10 years none of this will matter anyway:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017...-in-real-time/

Quote Originally Posted by Toxsins View Post
    Of course, in 5-10 years none of this will matter anyway:
    It has been said for years, and the quality of machine translation hasn't improved a bit. Google Translate degraded to neural networks recently, which figures.

Also, English has no weight in Europe, and European languages are going nowhere.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Atethecat View Post
    私 は 日本語 が へた です.

Japanese is probably the easier of the East Asian languages to learn from what I've heard because it's not tonal like Mandarin. Kanji can be difficult to remember, but it's not like you have to use all of it, just the basics like 'watashi', 'nihon', 'nihongo', etc.
    Somewhat, but it's VERY VERY different from English, in the way concepts are presented and the way grammar works.

Writing is very different too...because each "letter" represents either a syllable (hiragana/katakana) or an entire word (kanji). There is no such thing as spelling a word in Japanese like you do in English. And the writing has no spaces or punctuation - in fact there is a type of pun due to ambiguity where the space should be, called ginatayomi. "Have you ever baked bread before" vs "Have you ever eaten underwear before" only differs by a space.

I want to learn the language but there is really no way to do so without either classes or knowing a native speaker.
    Last edited by Stormspark; 2017-11-03 at 03:29 AM.

So, California is increasingly showing a lot of linguistic diversity. Not just in enclaves but a massive proportion of the State do not speak English in the home. Some 44% of California's population over the age of 5 speak a non-English language in the home. California leads the pack on this with the country nationally being at about 21% who do not use English as their home language after the age of 5.

Will this trend continue? Will new languages be spoken more frequently in California and the United States at large and will this help lead to any policy changes to meet the demands of linguistic pluralism?

(US Census Source)
    Nope, Hillary lost. Obama's agenda and legacy are done. We are going to not only have our wall but the RAISE ACT, and we are getting rid of "diversity visas". We are going to a MERIT BASED system, not a 3rd world/islamic based system infested with family chain migration. Trump said it himself...we are changing it. They thought they had us like they have Europe, but we fought back. This is our homeland. English is the language. Anglo's will ALWAYS be a majority in our HOME nations. America, Canada, and Europe. The rest of the world doesn't diversify....we don't need to be a minority. We won and the left is PISSED.

- - - Updated - - -

It has been said for years, and the quality of machine translation hasn't improved a bit. Google Translate degraded to neural networks recently, which figures.

Also, English has no weight in Europe, and European languages are going nowhere.
    English is taught all over Europe and the world. Pretty sure it holds weight. lol LOTS of it. You just must be French.

Deleted

Maybe in the rural useless ends of Europe, but I have traveled from Stockholm to Budapest and never needed a tour-guide translation book.

Quote Originally Posted by Xires View Post
    Nope, Hillary lost. Obama's agenda and legacy are done. We are going to not only have our wall but the RAISE ACT, and we are getting rid of "diversity visas". We are going to a MERIT BASED system, not a 3rd world/islamic based system infested with family chain migration. Trump said it himself...we are changing it. They thought they had us like they have Europe, but we fought back. This is our homeland. English is the language. Anglo's will ALWAYS be a majority in our HOME nations. America, Canada, and Europe. The rest of the world doesn't diversify....we don't need to be a minority. We won and the left is PISSED.
    And the left has also been consuming vast quantities of popcorn watching Trump derail his own agenda week to week and get nothing major done. Pro tip: your wall needs funding to exist. Good luck with that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    Ahahahaha!