Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Redecle View Post
    It's going to be so much fun with classic getting flooded by live players who are only there to get Scarab Lord, tier 3 or ZG mounts.
    Good luck with the nostalgia, when retail players come man guilds for that Scarab Lord and see you there then. 1000 players per realm for one title.
    Account wide achievements haven't been discussed as part of implementation so people trying to come over for those titles/mounts would be a waste since they will only be usable on the server from what we know.

Quote Originally Posted by xpose View Post
    Account wide achievements haven't been discussed as part of implementation so people trying to come over for those titles/mounts would be a waste since they will only be usable on the server from what we know.
    Depends if people require it account wide. It'd be nice sure, something i'd personally appreciate hugely so i don't have to be 97 years old grinding that final class naxx tier, but also someone like me, a collector, just the fact that you know it's there on that even secluded character is the point to get them and will still probably be 97 years old and in there trying to get the missing bracers. I'm really not a classic enthusiasist, i have really no intention playing vanilla, other than to acquire missed items from the past or the actual vanilla days, so i can say i have them on some toon somewhere in the internet space vacuum. It's the fact of having them and you yourself knowing it and if needed you can log on to those and take that stroll on your tiger mount in sw if feeling like it. Same goes for tier 3, collecting all armor, part of that process. It's what 9 characters to level in classic to get them all and all the process of acquiring it all rolling in 40mans. Time needed a lot of it. But a completionist does it for the 100%. Well with current knowledge 40mans aren't required, people by now mostly know how to play the game, 25-30manning old 40mans has been done on private servers emulating such experience, since the knowledge cap back 12 years is so huge and the information much more accessible, people likely even playing there, aren't the guys who afk raided since the trip is long and time consuming, most now days want to be efficient.
    Last edited by Redecle; 2017-11-05 at 12:17 AM.

Bloodsail Admiral DrIvoRobotnik's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I know! Isnt it great!

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    Nah, this is just bullshit apart from the debuff limit.
    Different ranks of HoTs stacked. And you still wanted healing druids en masse because they used Healing Touch anyway, rank 4 and 5 especially. Either way, they were there to innervate the priests who hadn't learnt to use Heal (rank 2).
    That was not at launch it was a change that happened mid vanilla in a patch.
    Paladins were either Protection or Retribution specced because BoKings was the end talent in Retribution and you needed those to buff the raid, and protection paladins were needed because of better BoSalv and BoSanc. Few that I ever raided with were holy/x rather than x/holy. The few that went deep holy did it mostly for damage anyway, because that was what Holy Shock did.
    Paladins may have speced Holy, Ret or Prot but all of them did one thing. HEAL. It is the only thing that a Paladin could do in raid/dungeon.
    Fear did last forever -- or heartbeat resist and cleared instantly. I was a Warlock in Vanilla. Alliance warlock. Before they nerfed WotF the first time (20 sec) and even after that, Death Coil didn't horrify. Trust me, I rarely saw a fear last very long.
    Mained end game warlock in vanilla as a progression and could solo anything except a rogue(see stuns), unless you went demo as it allowed you to absorb the hits from them. YOu would win through fear kiting things. If you needed to you would use the slow from CoExhaust and run while dots ticked.
    Stuns had DR. This is one of the worst bullshit facts there was. The only thing that was different was that "uncontrolled stuns" did not have a DR and that Kidney Shot had its own DR. Meaning that a Rogue could stun lock you to death. What's so bad about that? He has to spend his energy on useless stuff like gouge and can't deal damage to you. Today, step into an arena and you will get stunned to death anyway, but it will be over much quicker. All it is.
    Rogue jumped you it was over unless you were a tank.
    Rogues absolutely had to have cookie cutter builds, and none were the ones you were thinking of; to even get so far to be accepted into a raiding guild (due to the sheer plethora of Rogues), you had to at least have Improved Sap and run dungeons with them. So you had to be some super jank spec deep in sub (the pvp stun lock spec 21/8/22 worked, as did the [late in the exp] hemo 17/3/31).
    LOL, lets see in Deus Vox(end game world first guild) where I raided we had a 1 hemo rogue, 1 combat daggers rogue, 2 assassination rogues, 2 combat sword/mace rogues. Yup they were really forced into a cookie cutter build. As a warlock it was SM/Ruin and that was it(people tried to sell other specs but none came close), mage it was fire or go home, priest you healed, paladin you healed and only had different spec so that you could give different buffs, Druids healed, hunters went Marks to get better hunters mark, Warriors went main tank or arms early in vanilla and the moved to fury once T2.5 came with enough hit.

Now lets look at terrible itemization
    The best 2 pieces of gear you could get as a dps warrior was a trinket from BRD and level 48 epic mail mail gloves..... yup some amazing gear there.
    Warlock/Mage for the first while was a blue trinkets from UBRS
    Caster Tier sets had stats like strength and agi on them.... yup

Quote Originally Posted by Allora View Post
    Only one reason why i would ever play on Classic server is PvP and nothing more. i loved camping graveyard as 5 frost mages in AV on cliff. insta killing WF proc enha shaman etc. also endless AVs
    Unfortunately everyone and their little brother will be playing rogue, so pvp will most likely be shit :/

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lollis View Post
    I took my pirate gear with me at all times!

Outfitter <3

- - - Updated - - -

I didn't forget in the slightest. They were superior to bags because they held more.

I raided as a rogue and a mage in vanilla, and account shared to assist raids (yes omg bad) with a warrior, druid, and a hunter. Druid was the only one that truly lacked space because of reagents and offspec gear, but I never had any issue with the others. If you were going from full to zero ammo as a hunter when we often had breaks to buy/sell/repair, then you were a fucking idiot.
    Aren't all hunters idiots by default?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lollis View Post
    We didn't rank them up, you downranked stuff like frostbolt to put slows on people in pvp because it not only gave them the slow with a smaller mana cost, it also casted faster. Downranking was done because some spells were just not efficient for the cast time and mana cost compared to their actual value.

- - - Updated - - -
    He is saying you bought upgraded ranks of spells and abilities; "ranking up" when you leveled up.
    Kinda need different ranks or you wouldnt be able to downrank. Uprank, downrank so to speak.

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly I have grown to love all of those things with the only exception being the imbalanced racial's but classic is classic and even in retail racial's aren't 100% balanced unless you remove them or make them all the same that will always be the case.

All of the things you listed really added to the immersion and social/community aspect as well for example getting 2 group members and warlock to walk to the instance increases socialization and ultimately is good for fostering a good social environment even if it is forced and most would at first glance hate it,
    Waiting for transports/zeppelins/boats again helped to foster more socialization while people stood and waited which can only be a good thing imo.

Stuff like ammo/regents added to the feeling of gold actually mattering acted as a very good gold sink, encouraged you think think about stocking up on things before you leave the cities and sort of added to the additional difficulty knowing sometimes you might need to conserve ammo if running low in a dungeon.

Quote Originally Posted by Gimlix View Post
    These are things that makes a MMORPG. Sorry but if you feel like this is something horrible, you don't belong in a MMORPG game.
    You misunderstood his post completely. Good job.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by tikcol View Post
    tip for free: if you're going to grind in stv, grind on panthers. Valuable whiskers.
    Are they used in some of those leatherworking sets, raid potions or are they just grey vendor items?

- - - Updated - - -

Can anyone here make a list of the healers?

I know holy priest was the healer. Disc wasn't a thing.
    Paladins were used mostly for their buffs that they had to reapply 24/7, yes?
    Some people have mentioned druid.
    What about shaman? Was resto a thing in pve or pvp? What about elemental?
    I pretty much only pvped in vanilla(shadow priest), and the shamans I played with were all enhance.

Like I didn't know much about the raiding scene, but I followed the strong raiding scene on Alliance side(I was playing Horde) so I have some vague memories here and there about pve stuff.
    For example I think there was a really strong trinket from ZG(or maybe it was MC or BWL?) that aaaaall mages either had or wanted to have. I also think pom pyro mages one shotting people in bgs was a thing, but it wasn't that good because it took 500 years to cast.
    Oh, and druids spamming moonfire. I still remember the name of that night elf druid on the Alliance side that mostly just ran around spamming moonfire in bgs xD
    And all the night elf and human warriors with Obsidian Edged Blade and their red/yellow MC/pvp armor and purple WSG tabard standing outside Orgrimmar :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Explicit Teemo Nudes View Post
    Can anyone here make a list of the healers?

I know holy priest was the healer. Disc wasn't a thing.
    Paladins were used mostly for their buffs that they had to reapply 24/7, yes?
    Some people have mentioned druid.
    What about shaman? Was resto a thing in pve or pvp? What about elemental?
    Holy priest was the premier healer.
    Druids were also wanted for decent healing, but mainly due to the fact that they could innervate the holy priests.
    Elemental shaman wasn't really a thing besides for niche PvP builds, they were mainly resto in raids but also wanted due to totems being quite nice. Totem of Tranquil Air for example was super nice since it reduced threat generation by 20%, so just dump a shaman in a DPS-group and it's all nice.
    Paladins were mainly buffbots and offhealers, but did have a rise in effectiveness by a ton with Naxx gear since they could get a lot of crit from it and effectively endless mana.

But mainly you'd want holy priests, a few druids and a handful of shamans, the latter for their tools rather than healing but both were a plus.
    Atleast IIRC.

Quote Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
    Holy priest was the premier healer.
    Druids were also wanted for decent healing, but mainly due to the fact that they could innervate the holy priests.
    Elemental shaman wasn't really a thing besides for niche PvP builds, they were mainly resto in raids but also wanted due to totems being quite nice. Totem of Tranquil Air for example was super nice since it reduced threat generation by 20%, so just dump a shaman in a DPS-group and it's all nice.
    Paladins were mainly buffbots and offhealers, but did have a rise in effectiveness by a ton with Naxx gear since they could get a lot of crit from it and effectively endless mana.

But mainly you'd want holy priests, a few druids and a handful of shamans, the latter for their tools rather than healing but both were a plus.
    Atleast IIRC.
    Alright! But how well did druid, paladin and shaman healers handle 5-mans?

10+ Year Old Account
    Any class with healing capabilities could handle 5-mans and 10-mans. Might have one or two more manabreaks but they'd get it done.
    Hell I even healed while Ret specced in between PvP farming sessions. Bear in mind, Holy Light would usually almost top a DPS off with even the bearest of +healing gear.

It's not like current WoW where hybrids have basically no healing capabilities if they aren't healing specced.

As someone who leveled in classic as a resto druid - it is a strong, desirable healer overall.

Since you're asking about 5 mans specifically, the biggest downside will be the lack of out of combat rez and an aggro dump ability. Where a priest would simply use Fade, the way to save yourself quickly is to shift into bear form and run up to the tank.

I leveled mostly through dungeons since a resto druid is probably the slowest leveler in game. I was always being pulled into activities as a healer and made many friends on my journey to 60. It was a blast!

Resto druids are very sought after as raid healers as well. They shine as tank healers whereas the priests have better aoe capabilities.

We had a couple of dedicated holy paladins in our 40 man; they pulled good numbers also when geared appropriately, ie. cloth.

Did not play Horde, so not sure about shamen.

Completely looking forward to playing on an official Blizz server again. I won't raid anymore, will take my time leveling and generally smelling the roses.

As a person who is very fierce Vanilla/classic supporter -- dude, it's not even close. All of those are optional. Yes, really. Especially compared to Vanilla.
    Personally, I'm a fan of that style of play, but I know most people are lazy today. Or someshow grow bored after six hours in Tyr's Hand.
    Optional for what? You either do this actively or kill boss after several months, several boss nerfs and passive nerf with titanforged gear (or don't kill at all).
    Quote Originally Posted by Infernix View Post
    because the Legion version consists of doing a wide variety of things, giving you options on how best to reach your goals, and the Classic version consists of killing dragonkin in the Burning Steppes for 3+ hours every week to make resist potions so that you can roll against 40 other people for 4 piece of loot.
    Could you please tell how many Vanilla fights had high resistance checks except Ragnaros, Huhuran and Sapphiron?
    Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    Looking for Raid.
    They never found one though

Are they used in some of those leatherworking sets, raid potions or are they just grey vendor items?
    20 whiskers sell for 90 silver I believe.

Paladins are great healers, so are shamans. Disc tree is used a lot for support in raids but it's used. (especially for power infusion)

People sometimes forget they can be full disc and go half way down the holy tree. Talents worked like that. You will have most of the healing bonuses from the holy tree and bring powerful utility to raids through increased stamina buffs, spirit buffs and power infusion (spell power buff with a timer)
    Last edited by tikcol; 2017-11-05 at 07:49 AM.

I suppose this is the correct topic to post this?

Things to pay attention to:

"Warlock sucks!"
    "World of Roguecraft"
    "WOW has become UO"
    "Honor system is FLAWED at its core"
    "Sick of Rogues"
    "Can u really lose rank??>Lame<"

Those are just some of the topic titles back then. I suppose old habits don't change, huh? It doesn't look much different from current WoW forums. I suppose the golden days were not so golden as it seems.

And before my skull gets bashed in, I haven't played Vanilla at all. Just heard tales about how great it was, and then had some veterans tell me otherwise. I suppose it all ends up in personal preference. However, image is self-explanatory when it comes to how perfect those times were.

I am starting to build up an image in my head that there are a lot of things people will have to learn to hate? (Or love to hate?)

Oh and one more thing, I am not a casual classic server topic flamer. However, a little normal explanation would be welcome for somebody who didn't play during those times and based on what people love and want expected a whole different story/reference picture.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PrinceOfThaWest View Post
    I suppose this is the correct topic to post this?

Things to pay attention to:

"Warlock sucks!"
    "World of Roguecraft"
    "WOW has become UO"
    "Honor system is FLAWED at its core"
    "Sick of Rogues"
    "Can u really lose rank??>Lame<"

Those are just some of the topic titles back then. I suppose old habits don't change, huh? It doesn't look much different from current WoW forums. I suppose the golden days were not so golden as it seems.

And before my skull gets bashed in, I haven't played Vanilla at all. Just heard tales about how great it was, and then had some veterans tell me otherwise. I suppose it all ends up in personal preference. However, image is self-explanatory when it comes to how perfect those times were.

I am starting to build up an image in my head that there are a lot of things people will have to learn to hate? (Or love to hate?)

Oh and one more thing, I am not a casual classic server topic flamer. However, a little normal explanation would be welcome for somebody who didn't play during those times and based on what people love and want expected a whole different story/reference picture.
    A general rule is no matter the time, the game, the setting or the people involved almost always there are people who complain and will endlessly critique something its not really a bad thing per say but it can get tiring especially when you hear two different sides of an issue arguing for something to be changed opposite of one another.

As someone who loves vanilla and can't wait to hop into the classic servers I will openly admit vanilla wasn't perfect but no game is and neither is legion or any other expansion for that matter, and I will also say Vanilla is not better then Legion or anything else but I do enjoy the "taste" of vanilla/classic wow and older school rpg's much more then Legion or newer style rpg's.

All in all different tastes for different folks is how we need to look at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zalek View Post
    A general rule is no matter the time, the game, the setting or the people involved almost always there are people who complain and will endlessly critique something its not really a bad thing per say but it can get tiring especially when you hear two different sides of an issue arguing for something to be changed opposite of one another.

As someone who loves vanilla and can't wait to hop into the classic servers I will openly admit vanilla wasn't perfect but no game is and neither is legion or any other expansion for that matter, and I will also say Vanilla is not better then Legion or anything else but I do enjoy the "taste" of vanilla/classic wow and older school rpg's much more then Legion or newer style rpg's.

All in all different tastes for different folks is how we need to look at it.
    Appreciate the response, mate. So it's just like I thought, a matter of personal preference.

barrens chat/10

i hope it comes back, and stays buried at the same time.

I hope they create official WoW Classic forums. I'm going to enjoy perusing that, should be plenty of entertaining threads.

Quote Originally Posted by trajandreps View Post
    You mean staples of role-play fantasy and non-homogenized classes and racial choices that mattered?

All the stuff you listed is the reason people want to play vanilla.
    I still experience lack of inventory space every day, they kept that design ideal alive in every expansion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Marston View Post
    Ok, but they were useless then since groups were formed in LFG or Tradechat in cities. You could not summon anyone.
    So, useless.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Coombs View Post
    I'm pretty sure they summoned in late Vanilla but not early. I hope the servers do the same progression as before.
    No, no progression, plain vanilla, last patch before 2.0. Vanilla sucked, meeting stones were useless
    Well, no, vanilla didn't suck, it was great back then, compared to the currect version, it just blows. (I hope you were not planning on playing class X, it was not viable)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Coombs View Post
    I'm pretty sure they summoned in late Vanilla but not early. I hope the servers do the same progression as before.
    No, no progression, plain vanilla, last patch before 2.0. Vanilla sucked, meeting stones were useless
    Well, no, vanilla didn't suck, it was great back then, compared to the currect version, it just blows. (I hope you were not planning on playing class X, it was not viable)
    -=Z=- Satan represents vengeance instead of turning the other cheek! -=Z=-
    https://bdsmovement.net/