Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Virtual Reality for WoW:BfA

Blizzcon 2017 has just ended, with the unveiling of WoW next expansion, due 2018.

Everyone knew there was going to be a big annoucement around WoW and the time was just right to take a technological risk to impress everyone.

What about VR ? I was really hopeful the next big thing would be adapting wow's engine and interface for VR.
    That would have been huge.

There are a lot of videos and threads on official forums about attempts at running WoW with Vive, Rift and the like with some kind of hacks and dysfunctional interface. Some are pretty convincing.

What's your opinion ? Would you be hyped for VR WoW ?

10+ Year Old Account
    pls no

dont do dis pls

*this

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    I have a VR system at home (Vive) and its basically garbage. The headsets are heavy, the views are heavily pixelated due to how close the screens are to the eye, the system requirements for the device are higher than what is needed to run WoW by a good margin. Wearing the headsets for long periods of time is very taxing. The constant VR system bios upgrades that are needed to accommodate pc driver updates are frustrating to say the least. And to top it off, VR is never going to be a big hit so long as such a high percentage of players suffer motion sickness while wearing the headsets.

Its just not financially suitable for a company like Actiblizzard. And it probably wont be for a long time to come.

(Note: To anyone considering the purchase of a VR headset, get an Occulus instead of the HTC Vive. The occulus suffers many of the same problems as the Vive, but its smaller, lighter, and cheaper.)
    Last edited by Nihilan; 2017-11-06 at 02:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nihilan View Post
    And to top it off, VR is never going to be a big hit so long as such a high percentage of players suffer motion sickness while wearing the headsets.
    I tried a bit the PS4 system, the Oculus and one system with a Samsung phone in a headset. Apparently I suffer from this sickness after some time. Iirc John Carmack said it was mostly due to the small lag that exists between your head movements and the image and it's a struggle to bring this down.

Not a good investment due to lack of VR install base that crosses over to WoW base.

ERP in moonguard inc
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonus View Post
    Anyway stop being such an ass fucktard.
    Quote Originally Posted by oblivium666 View Post
    Would you kindly go fuck yourself?

The technology is cool but VR is garbage in its current state. Wait another 10 years.

This could be really cool, as a sightseeing game. Actually playing the game would be a pain in the neck.
    Choosing attacks would be awful and moving around would be tiresome.
    I've no idea what to write here.

10+ Year Old Account
    VR is NOT the next big thing! Its just like the Nintendo wii, Its good for a short while because its new then you'll hardly ever touch it again after that.

VR is shite, and doesn't fit games where you won't be using first person view, AKA WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by Argarock View Post
    This could be really cool, as a sightseeing game. Actually playing the game would be a pain in the neck.
    Choosing attacks would be awful and moving around would be tiresome.
    That's more or less the impressions of videos with a hacked VR of WoW. They mostly fly around and apparently the cartoonish art is quite adapted to VR.

VR is complete trash, I got tired of my Oculus after a week. Graphics are just pixellated trash, and will continue to be trash until many more generations of gfx processors come and go.

10+ Year Old Account
    I personally wouldn't mind a support, but, frankly, actively playing an WoW-style MMORPG in VR is not really an option. The amount of abilities, combined with frequent movement midcombat, is not possible. And that's even if we ignore the weight of the virtual reality sets; very few of us have sufficient space around us to move around during combat, or enough limbs to activate abilities (I mean, my six bars are full; how that would work with a HUD is beyond me).
    Taking a look at some iconic places, though, that might be quite nice. I mean, imagine taking a look from Mount Neverest with your own eyes. Or taking a walk through Draenor's Shadowmoon Valley. I really wouldn't mind SEEING that.

15+ Year Old Account
    I've tried WoW with vive, and it's so awesome! But I don't like playing it in first person at all, so combat is a mess and you can't seee what's going on behind you.

My gold making blog
    Your journey towards the gold cap!

itt: people clueless about VR.

Eventually Bliz will make a VR title, but not for a while. I think they should at least look into adding VR support to WoW at some point. It doesn't need to be playable, just being in the world in VR to sight see would be worth it enough. They did it for NVIDIA 3D Vision and VR is 100x more legit than that ever was.

Quote Originally Posted by Hahyestwo View Post
    VR is complete trash, I got tired of my Oculus after a week. Graphics are just pixellated trash, and will continue to be trash until many more generations of gfx processors come and go.
    nah

Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    VR is shite, and doesn't fit games where you won't be using first person view, AKA WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by Broken Fox View Post
    The technology is cool but VR is garbage in its current state. Wait another 10 years.
    Wait another 6 months lol
    Last edited by Dormie; 2017-11-06 at 08:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by krl View Post
    Blizzcon 2017 has just ended, with the unveiling of WoW next expansion, due 2018.

Everyone knew there was going to be a big annoucement around WoW and the time was just right to take a technological risk to impress everyone.

What about VR ? I was really hopeful the next big thing would be adapting wow's engine and interface for VR.
    That would have been huge.

There are a lot of videos and threads on official forums about attempts at running WoW with Vive, Rift and the like with some kind of hacks and dysfunctional interface. Some are pretty convincing.

What's your opinion ? Would you be hyped for VR WoW ?
    Here's new character customizations..... but you can't see them in VR.
    Here's a More PvP focus xpack....... but you can't pvp for shit since you can only see 50% of what is going on in VR.

Yeah, it wouldn't have sold well, not at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Swalload View Post
    Here's new character customizations..... but you can't see them in VR.
    Here's a More PvP focus xpack....... but you can't pvp for shit since you can only see 50% of what is going on in VR.

Yeah, it wouldn't have sold well, not at all.
    Did you just make up two hypotheticals to support your uninformed argument?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Phumbles View Post
    Perhaps you should make some arguments isntead of dismissing what others say.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    itt: people clueless about VR.

Eventually Bliz will make a VR title, but not for a while. I think they should at least look into adding VR support to WoW at some point. It doesn't need to be playable, just being in the world in VR to sight see would be worth it enough. They did it for NVIDIA 3D Vision and VR is 100x more legit than that ever was.

nah

Wait another 6 months lol
    This is exactly one the the problems with VR. This is a screen cap of the software on a normal pc screen. THIS IS NOT WHAT THE GAME LOOKS LIKE WITH A HEADSET ON. Hold a mesh screen about two inches away from that monitor while watching that video and you will have a more accurate representation of what a game will look like from inside a headset.

Inside the headset, the screen is about 1-1.5 inches away from the eye. At that distance you can clearly, unmistakably see the spaces between pixels even on the tiny 2k resolution screens. The effect is very jarring. And and highly disappointing the first time you fire up the system in anticipation of some amazing VR experience.
    Last edited by Nihilan; 2017-11-06 at 09:07 PM.

No, I see facts, I state them. You can learn from them or stay wrong, it's not gonna change my day, or my opinion since this is not opinion. Simple logic, you can't try to market two things that cancel each other like new visual with a technology that prevents player from seeing the new visuals. Or gameplay features that heavily favor a way of playing that requires good awareness of your surrounding, which is nerfed by the FPS view of VR. No one plays ESO in first person in pvp because you would be nerfing yourself, same here. It's an educated assessment of the current situation of the game. Has absolutely nothing to do with opinions or personal preferences whatsoever.