Classic and Timewalking

So with Classic servers coming online sometime "soon(tm)" it's got me thinking about how there's a large void in Timewalking with the lack of Classic content.

I know a lot of it was retooled for various expansions but given that they'll be having classic servers it seems like they can bring some of it back, also it might be interesting to see if they do things like 10-man timewalking for Stratholme or Dire Maul.

More than that though I'm thinking about timewalking raiding of Naxxramas.

Sure we have the LK version but the LK version is missing several models of gear and weapons found only in the original and I think if they made it into a timewalking dungeon they could bring those models back (corrupted Ashbringer, Might of Menethil, etc) while avoiding the possible drama of characters only leveling up on a classic server to get those weapon models and then bail.

Classic content typically is mechanically far too simple to be enjoyable with the toolkit of current characters. Considering classic Naxxramas isn't even in the game anymore, thats even less likely, and if all you want it for is collecting appearances, another nail in the coffin.

Additionally, I would seriously doubt that classic servers either even get transmog (and as such no appearance collection), or would share the account-wide pool with live.

Quote Originally Posted by Nevcairiel View Post
    Classic content typically is mechanically far too simple to be enjoyable with the toolkit of current characters.
    I could say the same thing of BC, yet we have BC timewalking.

Considering classic Naxxramas isn't even in the game anymore, thats even less likely,
    Pretty sure that since we are talking about classic servers here that they will have classic Naxxramas.

and if all you want it for is collecting appearances, another nail in the coffin.
    Transmog is a very important part of the game. It's currently the 2nd most important draw to mythic raiding since you can get better gear from titanforged heroic or myth+ dungeon. It's what drove people to put up the mage tower as the first broken shore building and responsible for the ever increasing number of purely cosmetic rewards.

If they made any weapons & armor available from classic unlock the appearance on your account - which is how things currently work - it would definitely draw players to the vanilla server to obtain those particular skins.

Additionally, I would seriously doubt that classic servers either even get transmog (and as such no appearance collection), or would share the account-wide pool with live.
    I never said that vanilla servers would or even SHOULD get transmog. Personally I think they shouldn't and that vanilla should be released as it was in the patch just before 2.0 only with bugs fixed.

But it would be nice if when that happened they released classic dungeons for timewalking since they have the scaling tech and they'll need to either rebuild or dredge the old dungeons up from various server blades they have collecting dust.

Also that it would then make sense to have Naxramas as the classic timewalking raid since it was the pinnacle of classic raiding and contains items that you would be unable to obtain anywhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by Shelly View Post
    I could say the same thing of BC, yet we have BC timewalking.
    Black Temple was OK. For most of the dungeons in timewalking thats probably true, although its still much better then classic dungeons, where bosses largely didn't even have any abilities to speak of.

10+ Year Old Account
    Timewalking sucks, it's not the same in the slightest.

They could probably make a Classic timewalking, but many of those instances aren't even in the game anymore in their original form - SFK, BFD, Deadmines, BRS, all of the Scarlet Monastery instances, Scholomance, etc. Considering they have said that they may not even have all the data for Vanilla themselves, it might be difficult for them to replicate Vanilla raids/dungeons and make them viable in retail for timewalking. Raids, especially, are very far from what we have now. If you remember the 10th anniversary Molten Core, it was quite the headache.

That said, I would enjoy it to a degree for the rewards. They could add in lots of gear that is now unattainable, as well as some mounts that were removed, and pets that never made it in the game datamined from Vanilla content. Toys could be added that reflect different things in Vanilla as well.
    3 hints to surviving MMO-C forums:
    1.) If you have an opinion, someone will say that it is wrong
    2.) If you have a source, there will be people who refuse to believe it
    3.) If you use logic, it will be largely ignored
    btw: Spires of Arak = Arakkoa.

Quote Originally Posted by Destinas View Post
    They could probably make a Classic timewalking, but many of those instances aren't even in the game anymore in their original form - SFK, BFD, Deadmines, BRS, all of the Scarlet Monastery instances, Scholomance, etc. Considering they have said that they may not even have all the data for Vanilla themselves, it might be difficult for them to replicate Vanilla raids/dungeons and make them viable in retail for timewalking. Raids, especially, are very far from what we have now. If you remember the 10th anniversary Molten Core, it was quite the headache.

That said, I would enjoy it to a degree for the rewards. They could add in lots of gear that is now unattainable, as well as some mounts that were removed, and pets that never made it in the game datamined from Vanilla content. Toys could be added that reflect different things in Vanilla as well.
    Well my whole point is that they will be bringing back those instances to the classic servers, so it seems they can give a taste of the original dungeons by making them timewalking.