View Poll Results: 10 days left, what'll it be?

Voters
92. This poll is closed
  • Hard Brexit (crash out)

45 48.91%
  • No Brexit (Remain by revoking A50)

24 26.09%
  • Withdrawal Agreement (after a new session is called)

0 0%
  • Extension + Withdrawal Agreement

3 3.26%
  • Extension + Crashout

9 9.78%
  • Extension + Remain

11 11.96%
    Quote Originally Posted by Vankrys View Post
    Republic of Ireland is still part of the EU. Can Ireland make a deal with the UK that could potentially affect the entire European union without consulting Brussels first?
    As far as I'm aware the EU cannot interfere with pre-existing agreements unless given the permission to.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mittens View Post
    It's easy if the UK and Ireland have a pre-existing agreement they can fall back on. If that is the case then it's a matter of modifying it so it suits both nations' needs.
    They both joined the EEC in 73 yeah? The EU in 92? The Good Friday Agreement in 98?

How then can it be preexisting?

Edit: or is GFA some other GFA?
    Edit2: I guess the EU is 1993
    Last edited by Xarkan; 2017-11-11 at 04:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xarkan View Post
    They both joined the EEC in 73 yeah? The EU in 92? The Good Friday Agreement in 98?

How then can it be preexisting?

Edit: or is GFA some other GFA?
    Edit2: I guess the EU is 1993
    I mean a trade agreement between both nations. The EU did not adress those up until a couple of years ago.

Deleted
    It's easy if the UK and Ireland have a pre-existing agreement they can fall back on. If that is the case then it's a matter of modifying it so it suits both nations' needs.
    Problem is that there is no such agreement, and even if it did, Ireland isn't the relevant party in terms of customs, it's the EU.

- - - Updated - - -

I mean a trade agreement between both nations. The EU did not adress those up until a couple of years ago.
    the EU has since day one been a customs union.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    From day 1 of Brexit nothing will change, if the EU start a trade war with the UK or punitive sanctions the UK will reciprocate.
    From day one, literally everything will change.
    Absent a deal, there will be a customs border, a regulatory border, and a persons border (though not in Ireland, as Ireland isn't a schengen party).

It has specifically been offered to N Ireland by the EU, this is not acceptable to the UK.
    I thought you meant for the whole country, well you should consider Akrotiri and Dhekelia, as well as the channel islands, who are part of the customs Union (but not the EU) -
    Last edited by mmocfd561176b9; 2017-11-11 at 04:49 PM.

Deleted
    Leavers wanted control of our borders and yet are willing to leave a blatant open border with a foreign country.

??????

Quote Originally Posted by Helden View Post
    Leavers wanted control of our borders and yet are willing to leave a blatant open border with a foreign country.

??????
    Because it's Northern Ireland rather than Great Britain I suspect. Don't expect consistency or any gratitude to Northern Ireland for sticking with us for god knows what reason from Brexiteers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not sure why you still bother with dribbles and such, but to speak of something else rather than their incoherent and constant changing drivel. As i didn't see this being mentioned on the last few pages.

https://www.ft.com/content/51b59608-...b-322b2cb39656

Tick, Tock, Tick, Tock. While the Brexit camp is still suffering from infighting the EU is ramping up the pressure.

And no the EU is not being unreasonable here, if you know what they are asking

British officials note they are not expected by the EU to put a number on a financial offer at this stage but will have to give an indication of their methodology, notably in relation to paying for previous unpaid commitments known as “reste à liquider”.
    In other words the UK camp cannot even agree or come up with what they are willing to pay for. Embarrassing.

Not a chance. The IRA will not allow Brussels to impose a hard Irish/UK border, the EU ignore them at their peril. The UK will not violate the GFA and the EU won't dare either. There are enough terrorist attacks in the EU at the minute without looking for more.
    Wow, you really are divorced from reality aren't you? The IRA would love a hard border since it would distance the people in the North from the UK and give them an easy grievance with the UK to exploit.

Quote Originally Posted by GoblinP View Post
    Problem is that there is no such agreement, and even if it did, Ireland isn't the relevant party in terms of customs, it's the EU.

- - - Updated - - -

the EU has since day one been a customs union.

- - - Updated - - -

From day one, literally everything will change.
    Absent a deal, there will be a customs border, a regulatory border, and a persons border (though not in Ireland, as Ireland isn't a schengen party).

I thought you meant for the whole country, well you should consider Akrotiri and Dhekelia, as well as the channel islands, who are part of the customs Union (but not the EU) -
    The EU carved exceptions for pre-existing BITs.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmelded View Post
    Wow, you really are divorced from reality aren't you? The IRA would love a hard border since it would distance the people in the North from the UK and give them an easy grievance with the UK to exploit.
    Don't be so silly, you can see exactly what they want from Brexit here. http://www.sinnfein.ie/brexit Unless of course you are so divorced from reality you think they don't represent the IRA any more.
    13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"

Don't be so silly, you can see exactly what they want from Brexit here. http://www.sinnfein.ie/brexit Unless of course you are so divorced from reality you think they don't represent the IRA any more.
    They want Northern Ireland and Ireland to both be in the EU and for both to be out of the UK. By sticking up for NI citizens and their vote against Brexit, they're trying to show that they represent them better than Westminster. A hard Brexit with a hard border only helps them make the case that Westminster doesn't care about them and dilutes one of the most important ties that bind NI to the UK; their British identity. If they have to be inspected or go through any kind of controls before entering the mainland, they'll feel like second-class citizens.

7+ Year Old Account
    They want Northern Ireland and Ireland to both be in the EU and for both to be out of the UK. By sticking up for NI citizens and their vote against Brexit, they're trying to show that they represent them better than Westminster. A hard Brexit with a hard border only helps them make the case that Westminster doesn't care about them and dilutes one of the most important ties that bind NI to the UK; their British identity. If they have to be inspected or go through any kind of controls before entering the mainland, they'll feel like second-class citizens.
    So by inference Gerry Adams now represents the interests of the Unionists? LOL

http://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/uni...plan-1-8240136

Get real and show some understanding.
    13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"

So by inference Gerry Adams now represents the interests of the Unionists? LOL

http://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/uni...plan-1-8240136

Get real and show some understanding.
    That's their play, yes. Show the citizens of NI that Westminster doesn't care about them or respect their wishes while they do. Now whether it has or will be successful is a different matter entirely. The words of Dodds and the DUP at large are meaningless when their main concern is maintaining power by propping up a teetering Tory Government.

As for understanding, try and educate yourself on Northern Ireland and how important their British identity is to them and how not being treated the same as every other British citizen could negatively impact that.

7+ Year Old Account
    That's their play, yes. Show the citizens of NI that Westminster doesn't care about them or respect their wishes while they do. Now whether it has or will be successful is a different matter entirely. The words of Dodds and the DUP at large are meaningless when their main concern is maintaining power by propping up a teetering Tory Government.

As for understanding, try and educate yourself on Northern Ireland and how important their British identity is to them and how not being treated the same as every other British citizen could negatively impact that.
    I don't think Sinn Fein have any chance of success, literally too much bad blood between the two sides. But no need to worry, the UK will not permit the EU's blatant attempt to annex NI. A bit surprised the EU aren't treating it as an internal UK matter, I thought that was their policy taking Spain/Catalonia into consideration.

Of course the EU could just be trouble making and more likely they just don't want a UK/Brexit deal anyway, it can't really get any more obvious.

But no need to worry, the UK will not permit the EU's blatant attempt to annex NI. A bit surprised the EU aren't treating it as an internal UK matter, I thought that was their policy taking Spain/Catalonia into consideration.

Of course the EU could just be trouble making and more likely they just don't want a UK/Brexit deal anyway, it can't really get any more obvious.
    So you've given up on the border issue and are just going for conspiracy theories?

7+ Year Old Account
    So you've given up on the border issue and are just going for conspiracy theories?
    lol nope, the border issue is resolved. The Irish don't want a hard border, the British don't want a hard border. It will end badly for anyone who tries to put a border between the two. The real question is are the EU listening? I doubt it.

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    lol nope, the border issue is resolved. The Irish don't want a hard border, the British don't want a hard border. It will end badly for anyone who tries to put a border between the two. The real question is are the EU listening? I doubt it.
    you are fine then anybody and their grandma can visit UK by virtue of entering NI and cross the Irish Sea ?

Deleted
    The EU carved exceptions for pre-existing BITs.
    Not in it's customs Union.
    Nor in it's regulatory Union.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ranzino View Post
    you are fine then anybody and their grandma can visit UK by virtue of entering NI and cross the Irish Sea ?
    It's easier to swim the English channel, especially this time of the year

Deleted
    I don't think Sinn Fein have any chance of success, literally too much bad blood between the two sides
    Sure - But one thing that 'extremists' like?
    Forcing people to pick a binary, and 40% of unionists voted to stay.
    Not sure they would break for the Union if forced to choose.
    But no need to worry, the UK will not permit the EU's blatant attempt to annex NI.
    Have you read the Good Friday accord?
    A bit surprised the EU aren't treating it as an internal UK matter
    Because it isn't?
    Again, have you read the GFA?
    And again, you are leaving the EU, it's therefore an issue.