Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    I'll just leave this here

"You think you do, but you don't."

I'ts funny how J. Allen Brack would be the one to announce them 4 years later. I bet his colleagues at Blizzard were like, "You opened this can of worms, you deal with it!"

If it was only nostalgia, people wouldn't last very long. Thing is...a lot of people stays and keep playing. Sure, a lot of you will stop after a short while, just not all of us
    Warrax, Fury Warrior
    Silika, BM Hunter

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    Just know that if Blizzard doesn't see a large enough player base for them, they might pull the plug on them.
    Except they explicitly said they know they will be in for the long-haul and will support Classic for as long as WoW exists. They also said they expect the majority not to stick around and play, but expect (and will support) in the long term a small committed group that prefers vanilla.

Quote Originally Posted by Morssoe View Post
    Blizz said they don't care if it is 100 million or 10 thousand, they will keep server up for the community.
    Yeah, and maintaning a server doesn't really cost much at all. A few hundred players could probably cover that. It's making this all work in the first place thats costly.
    Last edited by makketota; 2017-11-10 at 06:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathpath View Post
    This is a weak statement spouted by a lot of people in the WoW community who argue against vanilla servers. This statement is usually supported by an argument along the lines of "You think you do, but you don't". However they seem to disregard the fact that for the past few years we have had a large chain of vanilla private servers that were massively successful, IE Nostalrius, Kronos, Elysium, and a few others. Thus giving the people who have been advocating for vanilla servers an avenue to fulfill this desire. So what has come of it?

A strengthened and more justified stance for the original desire to play vanilla by vanilla advocating players. Is it the same game as live? No. Does it have the same quality of life changes as live? No. Does it have the same balance? No shit Sherlock. These are some of the reasons why we love it!

So at this point can you still say "Its just nostalgia, you're looking at it through rose tinted glasses!" Even after the past few years of many people playing vanilla private servers?

It is just nostalgia. That doesn’t invalidate people’s desire or enjoyment of vanilla servers. Nostalgia is very powerful and enjoyable
    Every man is born as many men and dies as a single one

-Martin Heidegger

Didn't nostralius average about 11k players online? Certainly not insignificant, but I don't think that's a measure that is comparable to retail wow being in the scale of millions, while requiring a monetary investment

Its not I play on private servers and love vanilla.

15+ Year Old Account
    Take Linkin park, when i listen to Hybrid theory i get so many memories of when i was 12-13, those memories will stay with me forever and its called nostalgia same as with Vanilla when i think about about it nothing i do now in vanilla private servers will replace those memories i have from back then.
    - Vanilla was legitimately bad; we just didn't know any better at the time - SirCowDog

Quote Originally Posted by Pull My Finger View Post
    It's just nostalgia.

Playing on private servers also was and is just nostalgia. You do it out of nothing else but nostalgia.

So, to answer your question: yes, it's just nostalgia. Why won't you leave us be with your nostalgia?
    Hello,

If it is just nostalgia, how come people have been playing it for the past 10 years non-stop?

Bye.

This is a weak statement spouted by a lot of people in the WoW community who argue against vanilla servers. This statement is usually supported by an argument along the lines of "You think you do, but you don't". However they seem to disregard the fact that for the past few years we have had a large chain of vanilla private servers that were massively successful, IE Nostalrius, Kronos, Elysium, and a few others. Thus giving the people who have been advocating for vanilla servers an avenue to fulfill this desire. So what has come of it?

A strengthened and more justified stance for the original desire to play vanilla by vanilla advocating players. Is it the same game as live? No. Does it have the same quality of life changes as live? No. Does it have the same balance? No shit Sherlock. These are some of the reasons why we love it!

So at this point can you still say "Its just nostalgia, you're looking at it through rose tinted glasses!" Even after the past few years of many people playing vanilla private servers?
    And yet, as soon as Blizzard announced WoW Classic...members of your own community immediately started asking for certain changes to be made. Some of you do indeed want "pure vanilla" but so many others are looking for "improvements"
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    And yet, as soon as Blizzard announced WoW Classic...members of your own community immediately started asking for certain changes to be made. Some of you do indeed want "pure vanilla" but so many others are looking for "improvements"
    I hold the belief that people don't know whats best for them most of the times. Of course they would whine about something all the time , but if you cater to every whining all the time you end up with shit gamedesign.

Its like lottery winners. Most of the people want to win the lottery, but when somebody does they are usually not equipped with the competence the handle it and ruin their life , their family and relationships etc.

Another example is the obesity epidemic. If you make cheap fast food available everywhere , then even though it makes you obese, depressed , and gives you a whole legion of diseases you gonna eat it instead of going to the farmers market and cook a nice italian dish. But If you do force yourself to the latter , I garantee you , you will get much more enjoyment out of life.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's fueled by nostalgia. That's not a bad thing. Why does everyone make out nostalgia to be some terrible thing?

10+ Year Old Account
    Tons of people played on private servers because they were free haha, I'm sure a lot would play legion if they didn't have to pay for it.
    Last edited by Azarak; 2017-11-10 at 09:12 PM.

I think it's more than that.)

Of course, a lot of people will try Classic and run away once they realize Vanilla WoW is not for everyone (and I might be one of them).ut

But a community will be formed. The size of it only time will tell.

Deleted
    For me it's more than nostalgia, I like the game much more.

I can only speak from personal experience, where it was just nostalgia. Given the opportunity to play the games I did when I was younger, like the "old school" runescape only made me realize the games had massively improved over the years and thousands of small changes that I barely registered added up to a level of QOL difference that makes the old game utterly unplayable.

I loved vanilla, it got me addicted to WoW. I do not miss:
    -a crappy AH system where auctions had to be split up manually and typed in individually one at a time

-a crappy mailbox to go with the crappy AH system where you could not simply hit one button and easily open all your mail, but had to individually open and withdraw the items from every single package one at a time. Click click click...

-much uglier models than we have now. Models that have not been updated, like the gnoll, look hideous when we still see them compared to jaw-droppingly gorgeous zones like Suramar.

-more grind, less lore. The current game does everything it can to bring you into the story, whereas back in vanilla most of the story was hidden in books and supplementary material like wowwiki and watching old WC3 videos. This made it interesting to find, but most players did not bother, and there are still elements of "hidden story" in the current game (like the hidden Dalaran books), so nothing was lost.

-a huge dependency on out-of-game resources such as thottbot, wowhead, etc. to complete quests. "Go find Carl in Thousand Needles" was like finding the hay in the Thousand Needlestack.

-a talent system that was so restrictive that, if you wanted to do both PvP and PvE, or wanted to be both a tank and healer for your raid group, you were honestly better off just making two characters. There was also generally "THE build" for those roles, and those that deviated from that were kicked. "Yes you have options on what to put your talent points in, but every single option except this one is wrong."

-no "teleport back to graveyard" button, forcing players who got stuck trying to return to their corpse to have to send in a ticket and wait hours or days.

-no level ranges posted on zones, causing you to either have to ask in general chat or look it up on a third party website again. Guessing "oh, it's probably just the next zone over" usually got you mauled by a level ?? undead grizzly bear. Often you would learn that the next zone is actually on the other side of those undead grizzlies. Good luck! (Looking at you, Wetlands Death Run!)

-no abilities list on bosses, forcing either very time consuming trial and error (long run back/rebuff times) or, again, going back to those third party websites.

-certain bosses requiring resistance gear, which would require weeks of farming to get for your raid group, only to find that they left them in their banks. Whoops!

-no summoning stones. If you didn't have a warlock, you had to war-walk. Did I mention you didn't unlock epic mounts until level 60, and there were no alliance flight paths anywhere near Scarlet Monastery?

-resources stacked to 20 instead of 200, we had under half as much inventory space, all toy/mount items took up part of that space, most classes had to sacrifice bag space for class-specific reagents (like poor hunters requiring an entire bag just for arrows) and we had no reagent or guild banks. Do the math. We also didn't get portable vendors until WotLK. "Well I would loot this epic item from our raid, but I literally have no inventory spaces left, and the walk to put away my resist gear and come back is about 2 hours. Are you 39 willing to wait?"

-Ninja looters, DKP, all the factors that went into loot drama. All that was resolved with personal loot relatively recently in the game's history.

-no form of grouping system. If you wanted to get a group as a dps, pssh, good luck. Rather than sitting in a queue for a while while doing other things, you had to sit in a capital city spamming the chat, often for hours if you were a less appealing dps class like say, a rogue rather than a warlock...

It goes back to that old saying "you don't know what you have until it's gone."
    Last edited by Powerogue; 2017-11-10 at 10:58 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

I think you misunderstand the meaning of nostalgia. It is a strong feeling, and people will feel real pleasure out of nostalgia.

The only issue with it is that people who didn't experience it back then won't have nostalgia and will feel different about it. Those two groups won't ever agree.

Also, pirate servers are free. No shit people play a game without having to buy it or keep a subscription to play.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy View Post
    It's not. Nostalgia is just like an emotion, but sometimes using emotions to make decisions isn't a good thing, just like sometimes using logic to make decisions isn't a good thing.
    Are you saying it's not fueled by nostalgia or it's not a bad thing to be from that? If you're agreeing, that's great.

Nostalgia isn't a bad thing. Whenever I pull up an old video game I've played many times before over the past few decades, it's nostalgia bringing it up. Doesn't mean I don't enjoy the game for however long I play it, it just means my primary motivation was to re-experience what I experienced all that time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by tikcol View Post
    Hello,

If it is just nostalgia, how come people have been playing it for the past 10 years non-stop?

Bye.
    Out of nostalgia.

And because they're freeloaders.

Bye!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ishayu View Post
    Because modern WoW doesn't have FotM classes nor ganking.
    compared to vanilla todays class balane is LEGIONS better

Oh wait, modern WoW is just as imbalanced as vanilla, especially if you enjoy tanking (Hello Guardian Druids!),
    no its not, you should play it instead of watching yt all day....

and you now gank level 110 players automatically simply because the first instant procs 10 million damage worth of procs from your trinkets and instagibs your opponent.
    and you dont understand ganking....

World PvP FAR FAR worse in modern WoW than it was in vanilla.
    see above silly.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Warrax View Post
    If it was only nostalgia, people wouldn't last very long. Thing is...a lot of people stays and keep playing. Sure, a lot of you will stop after a short while, just not all of us
    you mean on FREE pirate servers?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by zlygork View Post
    Didn't nostralius average about 11k players online? Certainly not insignificant
    no, it was more around 8k and YES it is INSIGNIFICANT as it was FREE and no one wanted to pay for it. and comparing 8k to 3.000k makes 8 look very small.