View Poll Results: Where Should Classic Servers Start?

Voters
274. This poll is closed
  • 1.1 World of Warcraft

108 39.42%
  • 1.2 Mysteries of Maraudon

7 2.55%
  • 1.3 Ruins of Dire Maul

2 0.73%
  • 1.4 The Call to War

8 2.92%
  • 1.5 Battlegrounds

10 3.65%
  • 1.6 Assault on Blackwing Lair

8 2.92%
  • 1.7 Rise of the Blood God

2 0.73%
  • 1.8 Dragons of Nightmare

3 1.09%
  • 1.9 The Gates of Ahn'Qiraj

6 2.19%
  • 1.10 Storms of Azeroth

2 0.73%
  • 1.11 Shadow of the Necropolis

9 3.28%
  • 1.12 Drums of War

78 28.47%
  • Happy With Any of the Above

31 11.31%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Vluffyvlaush View Post
    I don´t agree. 1.12 means there will be better talents, there will be spellpower gear (downranking is much more powerful with spellpower), there were nerfs to some dungeons.

Starting with 1.12 won´t give the classic experience in MC/BWL. You see that on all the private servers. They can add all the bug fixes ip to 1.12, but not the item/spell/talent changes.
    Yep, This is the only issue I have with 1.12.

Do we really want cross-realm battlegrounds??? I think not.

From the sounds of it with some "design" choices we really wont be on any of the patches. My guess is they will take one of them likely one of the last for a baseline in terms of class balance. Give us the honor system/bg's and five mans out the gate. Then they gate the raids and large events to active around the same time frame as originally. They could do this with five mans and bg's as well but i think it is less likely.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by XalAtathsMom View Post
    1.12 with 1.0 content just like nostalrius

Release the firsts content patchs quickly(maraudon/dire maul within one month) then normal
    Seems like the most logical approach.

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm about 100% sure they won't repeat patches, it would be way way more effort and it's pretty pointless. It's easier to launch the last patch, buffing old pve content by ~20% to compensate power creep and possibly schedule instance/raid openings to simulate adding content.

Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    the bugs fix patch can be 1.12 and still have only earlier content.
    Have you played on a private server? Can you explain to me the fascination with the 1.12 patch, most of the people I know who were playing classic were either raiding every night on naxx40 or gave up on the game was semi-afk until the launch of BC doing random stuff, gathering, etc so I don't have many memories of that patch? 1.12 signifies a very bad decision that arced into the direction that blizz went with the following expansion that hurt the community in my opinion which is "cross server" BG. With all the arguments going over what should and shouldn't be in classic servers I thought one thing that vanilla crowd would agree is to not have cross realm BS for the sake of community yet I see a lot of people claiming 1.12 was the best and it should be the patch of the servers.

I remember back in the day I had good friend who played an ally on the same server as me while I was horde.. good old days before paid faction change and stuff and neither of us wanted to swap from the faction that we liked both lore/community wise and spend weeks just leveling a char to play on the same side. Whenever we faced off in BGs we would kindly ask in group to let us duel in random parts of the map and not interfere. And something that would surprise the new age wow players that people actually did! I remember one time, we were dueling in the middle of AB, by the freaking flag and people from both alliance and horde were standing around, cheering us. This would never happen in a cross realm BG where people didn't know us, cared, or worried about the hate he would receive after he left the BG if he interfered..

15+ Year Old Account
    I think we can have 1.12 without having cross server BGs.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumred View Post
    Seems like the most logical approach.
    And does this cycle restart after Naxx has been out for a few months? Or will there be 10-20 concurrent Classic servers each on their own different slightly delayed lifecycle?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    I feel like having multiple servers would be a recipe for disaster.
    Opening up classic was a recipe for disaster. It only resulted in fracturing the otherwise tight knit looking Vanilla lover group. Now it's all what patch, what QoL, what lifecycle. And it won't be long before what BC, what WotLK, god forbid, what Cata.

why talk about something that is 1-2 years away? and also it's most likely going to start on 1.2 with some tuning of things and bug fixes mainly.

Quote Originally Posted by Bambs View Post
    And does this cycle restart after Naxx has been out for a few months? Or will there be 10-20 concurrent Classic servers each on their own different slightly delayed lifecycle?
    I think where they go depends on how popular classic is and what the community wants. They could reset the servers after a set amount of time. Maybe they enable TBC two years or so in and we do that. They could in theory do TBC servers and offer character copy/transfers that way the classic servers stay in vanilla. I think it really will depend on community feedback and how popular classic servers are a year+ down the road.

15+ Year Old Account
    They will not start with the 1.12 patch nor will they release ALL content at once. That defeats the whole damn purpose of the vanilla survers. They will most likely start with the same patch the game was released with WITH fixed bugs.

last patch but staggered content

1.1 would be unplayable for me. Depending on the patch used, I will either play for alternative progression, or play to briefly reexperience some of the content I enjoyed years ago and quit permanently thereafter.

1.1 was hilariously broken (except, it wasn't actually that funny), and the amount of content available was pitifully low. It wasn't until the sweeping class changes in the later 1.x patches that the game started to become truly balanced and enjoyable. That's the classic WoW I'd want to play.

The only alternative to this, is if the patches are released over time, and we get to experience that content as it comes. In that case, I'd be fine with starting from 1.1 or whenever. Even in this case, though, I'd prefer this:

Quote Originally Posted by Firost View Post
    last patch but staggered content

I really hope they go with a modified (read fixed) launch patch. I know the private server community is mostly fine with going 1.12, but that seems to be the result of all private servers doing that. It's shit tho, and it's somewhat distressing to me to see that the "purists" are fine with this HUGE change to how the game was: after all, it has a much deeper impact on the balance and tuning of the game than most QoL changes that are suggested and (rightly) dismissed. Early vanilla endgame is easy enough without talents that are completely overpowered compared to how it was when the content was relevant.

Of course, the patch cycle should be much faster than it was on retail, because as others have pointed, the game was somewhat sparse in its content when it came out. I think it should aim at getting to something like 1.4 very quickly.

Content wise 1.1 but rebalanced encounters with 1.12 talents, debuff slots and so on in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Thornquist View Post
    I never got to experience pre-battlegrounds Hillsbrad chaos. Would love to see that.
    That still happend even after battlegrounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Zka View Post
    I think we can have 1.12 without having cross server BGs.
    You say this like you honestly expect there will be more than one sever...... Current hardware could easily hold the entire population of the wildest fantasies of how popular the Classic Server crowd think this thing will be on one server with no problems.

I think we should start at the beginning of the original patch cycle and work through content like original Vanilla, launching with the last patch before BC with all the raids and BG's available would be a mistake for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by MiiiMiii View Post
    Do we really want cross-realm battlegrounds??? I think not.
    That could easily be disabled no matter what patch it starts at.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Coolit View Post
    I think we should start at the beginning of the original patch cycle and work through content like original Vanilla, launching with the last patch before BC with all the raids and BG's available would be a mistake for sure.
    I did think a little like you at first, but after reviewing all the patches from 1.1 to 1.12 I see no reason to not start at 1.12 but close off raids until appropriate times.
    My reasoning for this would be:
    1. 1.12 had classes better balanced than before. Sure, I'd love to pvp with my warrior while enrage increased dmg by 40%, but that wasn't balanced.
    2. Why would you wait with releasing 5mans (maraudon, DM) until after people are past them already? Makes no sense.
    3. I don't see a reason for releasing AB later than WSG/AV.

It doesn't really matter if you ask me. It is more important that they don't split up the playerbase too much by implementing different versions.