Page 1 of 8
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Tesco's 2017 christmas advert slammed

So this came as a surprise. After watching the newest Christmas advert here in the uk for tescos, I honestly didn't think much about it, I found it kinda boring and forgettable tbh. If anything the John Lewis advert was much better.

But this videos been panned on the voting, youtube comment section and on twitter. The controversy seeming to be over how the advert doesn't feature anything christian, yet does feature a muslim family with women wearing headscarves.

there has been some controversy earlier this year over tescos selling Halal meat, which involves the animal being killed in a brutal fashion for the consumer. It seems the combination of that, not showing any christian images in this advert showing multiple families, and showing a muslim one, all added up to pissing off the nation, also with its #EveryonesWelcome message (though excluding Christians from the look of it).

I do kind of agree with what people are saying, but again, the advert was so boring to me it didn't even leave any impact until I read though the reasons why people hated it.
    #boycottchina

Its funny that people get mad about the tradition of christmas when its not even historically when jesus was borne. Its off by several months. If only we could accept that its no longer a religious holiday and more a commercial and family one now.

Deleted
    TBF they said same about the shitty John Lewis ad

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    Its funny that people get mad about the tradition of christmas when its not even historically when jesus was borne. Its off by several months. If only we could accept that its no longer a religious holiday and more a commercial and family one now.
    It's more that Muslims don't celebrate Christmas

IMO adverts shouldn't carry a political message unless it says at the end this was a message from the so and so party.

To me its like a ad for a hamburger where they show a vegan family taking it home while being jolly but you know for a fact they would never eat that burger so the whole thing is a fraud and is just a way to say eating hamburgers is wrong.

Iam a agnostic and i 'celebrate' christmas i put that in quotes cause in reality i wake up drink eat open prezzies try not to get into a fight with my relatives and brother then i fall asleep after my christmas diner and i dont believe muslims do that in any way and therefore i feel this whole thing is fake. Now do Muslims in Britain put up decorations and do christmas the way i do? Well according to my muslim friends who i used to work with they dont to them its just a free holiday and nothing more.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    This is how I think of it tbh, I'm atheist, what reason do I have to celebrate it? Well it has some comfort for me like spending time with family, eating certain types of food, shopping for something to get people to care about all that fluff. I also like how at this time of the year when theres little light due to earlier nights, having lights up around makes up for that.
    #boycottchina

Reading between the lines on a generic innocent christmas advertisement and then getting offended? People need to get a grip on reality, none of this shit matters.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

Deleted
    I can see why some easily offended people may take issue with Muslims doing Christmas from the Muslim POV, but it's so trivial that I suspect 90% of the Muslim community couldn't care... If anything I suspect more angry white people complained with PC GONE MAD nonsense

People will always come up with excuses for messing with Christians, as shown in this thread.

Since when do muslims celebrate Christmas? the fuck

10+ Year Old Account
    It does seem a bit like a diversity box ticking exercise, rather than a Christmas advert.

The important thing to keep in mind here is that someone, thankfully, was able to get pissed off about this.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Twix View Post
    Careful with that line of thinking, someone here might call you a bigot.

We need to add a class in school that start from year 1 all the way until you're done that's called "how to ignore what you should ignore and not get offended" and it would basically just be a guy constantly yelling STOP BEING A LITTLE CUNT for 2 hours straight, once a week, every week, during your entire time in school.

Quote Originally Posted by Incredibale View Post
    People will always come up with excuses for messing with Christians, as shown in this thread.
    It's pretty tough not to point out that cross on your back.

Quote Originally Posted by Twix View Post
    Here in America, I have several Muslim coworkers who will celebrate Christmas, not as an expression of faith, but to assimilate into the American culture, plus it's fun and we get those weeks off.

I'm an atheist and I don't celebrate Christmas for religion, we have the time off anyway, so I see my family/friends and give them presents. It has 0 religious meaning to me.
    “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
    – C.S. Lewis

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by GothamCity View Post
    Here in America, I have several Muslim coworkers who will celebrate Christmas, not as an expression of faith, but to assimilate into the American culture, plus it's fun and we get those weeks off.

I'm an atheist and I don't celebrate Christmas for religion, we have the time off anyway, so I see my family/friends and give them presents. It has 0 religious meaning to me.
    Yeah but Muslims have their own Christmas

Deleted
    companys make adverts like this not because they are politically correct, but because they want to make the most money possible.

As the UK is a diverse society, it makes sense to produce an advert that appeals to every ethnic group so more people will buy the stuff

this increases profits

if the UK wasn't so diverse, Tesco would just produce an advert with white people like they did in the past when the UK wasnt so diverse

Gotta include that racial equality and diversity. Even for a Christian holiday.

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    TBF they said same about the shitty John Lewis ad

- - - Updated - - -

It's more that Muslims don't celebrate Christmas
    Like i said the times of it being a strict christian holiday and a wrongly timed one at that are about 30 years gone, id venture to say that its been a family holiday since the 90s more than a religious one. Excluding someone from enjoying it just because they arnt christian is silly.

Deleted
    interracial marketing appeals to wider audience and so increases profits

when I published a cookbook, I made sure to have a picture of a black and white woman on the front, not because I wanted to be politically correct, but because I wanted to appeal to wider range of audience and make more money

Quote Originally Posted by GothamCity View Post

To assimilate? Christmas is a christian holiday.. no muslim would celebrate it if they were practicing muslims.