Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm paying about 70 dollars a week for my health insurance. I would prefer government healthcare. Not because I think it would be any cheaper. I just don't want to have to depend on my employer to provide it.

Break your hip in an accident....

America:
    - no sallery from your job for weeks
    - thousands of dollars debt for surgery
    - personal bankruptcy
    - need to sell the house
    - bag people for money via go fund me

Germany:
    - you continue to get sallery for six weeks
    - after six weeks you get a lower amount of your sallery up to twelve months
    - surgery is covered by health care / fund - not a cent has to be paid unless you want special treatments
    - your life goes on pretty normal til recovery
    - you can keep your house

I'm more than happy to pay X amount each month and know should something happen to me the system will catch me and I won't fall into bankruptcy.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by woozie21 View Post
    I guess that is true, but in the end you are making a gamble that something might happen to you and if it does you are covered for whatever you need.
    And the chance of you needing medical care at some point in your life is quite big.

I don't see how this can be a bad thing tbh.
    I am 31 years old I've been paying 140 euro a month since I was 18 so thats 22.000. I've used a good portion of that on dentist visits already, got 2 root canals & 8 fillings (family has bad teeth).
    I've been in the hospital for a week after an accident with 3 weeks off work that are paid for as well.

I've already gotten more out of it then I put in and I probably will over the span of my lifetime.
    Oh, what you have is a good thing!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raakel View Post

America:
    - personal bankruptcy
    - need to sell the house
    Only true if you didn't take the additional insurance policy that cost another 10.00 per week. In Gemany they just tax you for it. We get to choose weather we want the coverage or not.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Oh, what you have is a good thing!
    I'm confused are we disagreeing or agreeing? :P

Quote Originally Posted by Raakel View Post

America:
    - personal bankruptcy
    - need to sell the house

Germany:
    - you continue to get sallery for six weeks
    - after six weeks you get a lower amount of your sallery up to twelve months
    - surgery is covered by health care / fund - not a cent has to be paid unless you want special treatments
    - your life goes on pretty normal til recovery
    - you can keep your house

I'm more than happy to pay X amount each month and know should something happen to me the system will catch me and I won't fall into bankruptcy.
    I want a job that pays me with celery!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SL1200 View Post
    Only true if you didn't take the additional insurance policy that cost another 10.00 per week. In Gemany they just tax you for it. We get to choose weather we want the coverage or not.
    What Raakel said about America is true in too many cases. It would vary of course depending on your employer and the type of insurance you have and what your salary is , amount saved up and the number of sick days you have saved up or if your company even offers it.

Quote Originally Posted by Echoherb View Post
    Why do Americans make people pay thousands of dollars for health care still? It doesn't make any moral or logical sense.
    Because that's what healthcare costs?

Or would you rather force doctors and nurses into slave labor and steal from pharmaceutical companies?

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    My employer.
    Then YOU pay $28. It your employer pays a whole lot more. You might not think that makes a difference but it does. That affects your wages and/or bonuses.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by woozie21 View Post
    I'm confused are we disagreeing or agreeing? :P
    I think you have missed some of my posts in this thread. hehe. I am for universal health care in the US. Not saying we need to copy other countries in all aspects, but something needs to change here.

10+ Year Old Account
    Many European nations have a combination of social and private systems, the difference with the US is. It appears that EU governments care more for the citizen and their own government cost, as a better deal means less money spend as a whole.

While the US seems to be heavily subjected to lobby work that interest not the doctors or even the medical staff but more the pharma industry and ofcourse the middle man the insurer.

shifting that focus to both citizen and medical staff would do wonders as those industries need us not the other way around.
    Last edited by Acidbaron; 2017-11-14 at 03:02 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    What Raakel said about America is true in too many cases. It would vary of course depending on your employer and the type of insurance you have and what your salary is , amount saved up and the number of sick days you have saved up or if your company even offers it.
    I understand that not everyone can afford it, but you can purchase short term and long term disability insurance to cover that. Even if your employer doesn't offer it you can get it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucrece View Post
    Because that's what healthcare costs?

Or would you rather force doctors and nurses into slave labor and steal from pharmaceutical companies?
    That is not what he is advocating. He is basically saying health care costs in the US is outrageous. He is correct.

I guess you get what you want... Americans want the state to stay out of everyones business as much as possible. Germans like a little babysitting here and there. If you are young and take the risk you will problably earn more for the same job in the States then in Germany but should something happen you are screwed.

Honestly I don't quite get the hate for healthcare because you can tailor it to your liking I thought.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SL1200 View Post
    I understand that not everyone can afford it, but you can purchase short term and long term disability insurance to cover that. Even if your employer doesn't offer it you can get it.
    And the costs of such would depend on a lot of factors. Present health condition, job and age, etc. Sure in some cases it would be affordable and a good thing to get. But in some cases. families struggle to pay their everyday costs for food, clothing ,transportation and housing,

Deleted
    I understand it might be difficult to do on a big scale but why can't it be done on a state by state basis?

Quote Originally Posted by Cruor View Post
    You are the insane one. I am 37, the last time I was in a hospital was when I was born. I have the minimum health provider through my company. IF I get sick or hurt, I can pay for it. Why the HELL would I want to pay more in taxes to pay for other peoples health care? I couldn't care less about people I don't know.
    Here is a fair health care plan: If you get sick or hurt, pay for the care. If you can't, tough shit. Your problems are YOUR problems, it shouldn't be up to others. If you don't like that, set up a charity, but don't tax me.
    I always love your posts. So little common sense, so little understanding of the big picture.

Most people can not afford the bills when they have an emergency. Bills go unpaid, or people declare bankruptcy, and the costs are passed on to you anyways. Taxes? You do realize under a single payer system, you no longer have to pay your insurance premium. So instead, for a little more, it's going into your taxes, and now you pay next to nothing for doctors appointments, prescriptions, and emergencies. And your not immortal. There will be a time when you will need it.

You don't live in a bubble. Your employer doesn't pull paychecks from their rear ends. They need customers to make money to pay you. If people are losing all their money to medical bills, how do you think that effects the rest of the economy. This is what people on the right never understand when it comes to taking care of the poor and low income. Their still the largest consumer base and the biggest drivers of our economy. Letting them fail lets our entire economy fail.

Quote Originally Posted by Echoherb View Post
    Why do Americans make people pay thousands of dollars for health care still? It doesn't make any moral or logical sense.
    Stop saying "literally" like some typical stupid millennial.

I WORK at a free clinic. You know..one of those things you idiots in other countries think we don't have that "LITERALLY" exists in every US city.

Educate yourself and stop being a forum attention whore.

[Infracted]
    Last edited by Endus; 2017-11-14 at 03:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by moremana View Post
    Hmmm, my wife is a RN at a local hospital and we have insurance through them, but we still pay $720.

Without her benefits we would be paying over $1400 for Her, me and my son. Im starting to get a tingle, and not in a good place!
    Your "hospital" literally has the worst insurance I've ever seen. My co worker has 4 kids and his insurance is a hair over 350 for everyone and his wife.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    Because nowhere has free healthcare, people in the UK (where I am from) like to think we do but they forget it's baked into your taxes, not to mention if you need to see a GP it can take 3 weeks, if you have a minor injury it can take days. We have some of the worst healthcare in the modern world because free healthcare just doesn't generate enough money. Only a fool wouldn't go private, understand why paying for healthcare is better.
    I guess we would have to weigh the negative reports like yours against the positive reports from the citizens in those countries and see which is the more accurate overall picture.