Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    But being ticklish when you're little is an evolutionary safeguard to get you to reflexively guard your organs and weak points while you're young.
    O Flora, of the moon, of the dream. O Little ones, O fleeting will of the ancients. Let the hunter be safe. Let them find comfort. And let this dream, their captor, Foretell a pleasant awakening

better get out that bubble wrap

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    I think it's a good point. You might think it's silly/dumb, but children's brains are little sponges and it's a great way to teach bodily autonomy and proper boundaries.
    But parents have been tickling children for generations, and for generations children have grown up to know about proper boundaries so it adds nothing.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    if you understand what tickling actually is... then you might agree with the idea.

According to scientists at the University of Tuebingen, tickling activates the part of our brain that anticipates pain - which is why you may accidentally lash out at someone who is trying to tickle you.
    Furthermore, the laughter from being tickled is part of a defense mechanism to signal submissiveness and the researchers believe that our responses to tickling date back to man's earliest evolution and developing self-awareness.

From various sources.
    Or:

Only chimpanzee and human mothers gaze deeply into the eyes of their infants—and then tickle them. In the wild, chimpanzee infants will bite their mothers, who respond by tickling; the infants then bite their mothers again, which provokes more tickling; and so on. It’s a social dance: Tickling is the way we and the chimps establish, without words, that we’re in this thing together.

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/f...and_kids_.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Zarc View Post
    The Horde is the West, the Allies are the Soviets (kind of makes more sense the other way around, but I'm Horde and I didn't want to be the commies in this metaphor.. For the Horde!) and the Legion are the Nazis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    A person who is saying "You need a good guy with a gun to stop a bad guy with a gun" sounds like someone who wants to sell 2 guns.

Deleted
    Time for the emotionally fragile to get upset about what one random person said? Yes, it's that time appearantly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LaserChild9 View Post
    I heard a discussion on the radio the other day basically saying that we should not tickle our children anymore without their consent because it sets them up for future sexual harassment, I also found the below mini-article on the same thing:

The radio interview was on BBC Radio 2 if anyone in the uk is interested.

Just me that thinks that this completely absurd?
    People should start using their brain more.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

But parents have been tickling children for generations, and for generations children have grown up to know about proper boundaries so it adds nothing.
    I mean, apparently not as sexual harassment continues to be a problem...

Just because other generations haven't used it as a learning tool doesn't mean it isn't useful. Sure, you can use other methods of teaching proper boundaries if you want. Parents modeling proper boundaries (whether through play or otherwise) is the best means of teaching children.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    I mean, apparently not as sexual harassment continues to be a problem...

Just because other generations haven't used it as a learning tool doesn't mean it isn't useful. Sure, you can use other methods of teaching proper boundaries if you want. Parents modeling proper boundaries (whether through play or otherwise) is the best means of teaching children.
    That attitude is a huge problem. You are basically saying that all those victims that are now speaking out, didn't actually know that they were sexually harassed because they may have been tickled as a child. Not only is it absurd but it's insulting to those victims to assume that they were too stupid to know they were sexually harassed until someone else pointed it out a decade later.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zarc View Post
    The Horde is the West, the Allies are the Soviets (kind of makes more sense the other way around, but I'm Horde and I didn't want to be the commies in this metaphor.. For the Horde!) and the Legion are the Nazis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    A person who is saying "You need a good guy with a gun to stop a bad guy with a gun" sounds like someone who wants to sell 2 guns.

Deleted
    This is how you create self entitled millennials.

That attitude is a huge problem. You are basically saying that all those victims that are now speaking out, didn't actually know that they were sexually harassed because they may have been tickled as a child. Not only is it absurd but it's insulting to those victims to assume that they were too stupid to know they were sexually harassed until someone else pointed it out a decade later.
    That's not what I'm saying at all. I said that using tickling can be a means of teaching proper boundaries (stopping when a child says stop, or having them stop tickling you when you tell them to stop).

Your commentary about previous generations understanding boundaries is obviously false, as boundary violations continue to exist in many forms. Perhaps you should avoid making blanket statements about entire generations in the future.

My younger brother retaliated against a persistent tickler by shanking him in the kidney with a large safety pin. (He was 3 at the time.)

Some kids just don't like to be tickled. This talk of "proper boundries" works both way - if the kid doesn't want to be assaulted and tortured, then don't.

10+ Year Old Account
    Inside the dream. But who is the dreamer?
    Did you miss the part where it says "if the child asks them to stop?" Maybe if someone asks you to stop something to them, you should stop doing it. Kids are their own people and should be allowed to have bodily autonomy, and if they don't want a parent to touch them, then said parent should respect that.

We should also not feed our children because that gives them the impression that everything in life is free. Get a fucking job, you lazy assholes!

Quote Originally Posted by Malvalen View Post
    Did you miss the part where it says "if the child asks them to stop?" Maybe if someone asks you to stop something to them, you should stop doing it. Kids are their own people and should be allowed to have bodily autonomy, and if they don't want a parent to touch them, then said parent should respect that.
    Troll? or is there really people like you out there? I'm baffled.

This is one bad thing about the internet. Some degenerate says something fucking retarded and lots of people can see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnkie View Post
    People who don't feel the need to fondle children against their will? They're rare, but they do exist.

I heard a discussion on the radio the other day basically saying that we should not tickle our children anymore without their consent because it sets them up for future sexual harassment, I also found the below mini-article on the same thing:

The radio interview was on BBC Radio 2 if anyone in the uk is interested.

Just me that thinks that this completely absurd?
    It's the random ramblings of random people. It's not a scientific study. It's just rethoric, not an evidence-based argument. Therefore, invalid.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnkie View Post
    I'm genuinely confused by this response. What's wrong with what I said? Why should you continue toying with someone who asks for you to stop? Are kids not people?

Why is this even a thread?

If you are tickled by someone, and you tell them to stop, do they need to stop?

If you think they do need to stop, why would you not stop when your child tells you to stop?

Would that by any chance be the same MP who's calling for ban of spanking even though the country is in favour of it with great majority?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tota View Post
    Why is this even a thread?

If you are tickled by someone, and you tell them to stop, do they need to stop?

If you think they do need to stop, why would you not stop when your child tells you to stop?
    This. This is exactly the point I was trying to make. Apparently that's crazy of me and makes me a troll?