Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    Jesus christ please no!
    Trust me a order and stability is very conducive to a good world, the have some things to re-learn when it comes to a more assertive foreign policy.
    Yeah and that's why you keep doing the very same mistakes ever again, because the failures are the fault of "other" people.
    Iraq and Syria begs to differ.
    Was anyone held responsible for the shit that happened to american soldiers and the lifes of thousands upon thousands foreigners or are you guys happy with "whoops"?
    it's very clear Iraq was a mistake, but the inquiries in the UK remain silly.
    No, not "enough" and move on, but some actual consequences for fucking up big time.
    Sometimes, not doing something, is worse than doing something badly.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GoblinP View Post
    Iraq and Syria begs to differ.
    Iraq was a great success, right, "win" a war started based on false information, destabilize the region, not help with rebuilding it, leaving to early, indirectly helping isis.

it's very clear Iraq was a mistake, but the inquiries in the UK remain silly.
    I don't know, getting away with a war based on false information sounds quite big, but hey, they're the good guys so it's ok that people died.

Sometimes, not doing something, is worse than doing something badly.
    Agreed.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Ah i like your "new" style. Anyway, with consequences i meant not political ones, because there are always companies with big beds made out of money to fall back into, but real consquences, like jail or worse.
    I want to get you thinking about something.

Would you call ISIS intrinsically evil? I would. An Islamic fundamentalist army of rapist and murderers. Marauding Terrorists. Nothing like it in modern times. You don't get much more black and white than ISIS.

Did you know America's war against them is probably profoundly illegal? You see, for the US to go to war, there are two ways to do it: a formal declaration of war (which we haven't done since World War II), and Congressional Authorization for Use of Military Force (which is done either in support of a UN resolution, or unilaterally). The War in Afghanistan starting in October 2001, for example, was launched using a AUMF. As was the Iraq War.

There is no anti-ISIS AUMF. Instead the Obama Administration, along with Trump, has relied on the 2001 AUMF against the Taliban and Al Qaeda, that was written so generally, it allows the US to fight terrorists everywhere. If a terrorist group emerged in Portugal, the President, under that 2001 AUMF, could launch a military campaign into Portugal, without Congressional approval.

It is a ridiculous situation that is only legal because of a very generous reading of the 2001 AUMF. So why then doesn't Congress simply pass an anti-ISIS AUMF, which, you would think with ISIS being almost Comic Book levels of evil, would be the easiest piece of legislation in the world?

In a word "Iraq". In Two words "Libya". Nobody wants to be the next Hillary Clinton, explaning for the next 15 years why they voted for a deeply unpopular war. Sure, the AUMF against ISIS is easy policy now, in 2017. What about when ISIS 3.0 shows up in 2027 in Syria and that US President bombs them using the same AUMF? Will today's 40 something Senators, then in their 50s and running for President or Governor, be explaining their vote then? That is why despite years of talking about it and negotiating, there is no anti-ISIS AUMF. We're likely to never get one.

Strictly speaking, Obama grossly violated the War Powers Act years ago. This was "allowed" because his lawyers used the 2001 AUMF and Congress, not wanting to hold a repeat of a vote that ruined careers the last two time, decided to go along with it. Now Congress holds votes, every year, on the $70 billion "Oversees Contingency Operation" budget. That is a euphemism that came into vogue in 2009. Under the Bush Administration it had another name: the "War on Terror" budget. Every year the vote to finance the war, particularly against ISIS. But do they vote for the legal authorization of the war, even after the fact? Hell-fucking-no.

So when you talk about "real consequences", be careful what you wish for. It could have consequences that have nothing to do with the people even involved. Because of the AUMF fiasco and skittishness of Congress to take potentially career-ruining votes on issues of war, Presidential power has expanded thanks to that gross War Powers Act violation. I would not be surprised if the 2001 AUMF is used for at least another decade. I would not be surprised if the next major US conflict against terrorist is launched using. Hell if the US went to war against North Korea, Trump would probably use the UN resolution from the 1950s and the 1950s AUMF, rather than get a new one. Sure, technically legal. But sure as hell not in the spirit of good government.

You start prosecuting and having "jail or worse" for elected officials or others for policy mistakes... you won't end the policy mistakes. You'll just close the most transparent avenues to making good policy. The bad policy will still happen, just in stealthier, less accountable fashions.

A
    About the "who was barack obama"-part, just remember, once bush jr. was the crazy and embarrassing one, and then came the donald. Now, maybe you get a democrat again, maybe a better one than obama, do you want to think of anyone who is more embarrassing and crazy than the donald?
    Donald Trump is legitimately as bad as we can produce short of someone committing a violent crime, so no.

The next President is likely to be quieter and much more reconcilatory. In a way, this is going to be the reverse of the 2000 election. Bush's 2000 campaign was far more successful than it had any right being given the economy, because he and his team rightly identified that some section of America was interested in a return to a more disciplined, low key, and less scandalous administration. I know that's ironic in retrospect, but humility and being low key, particularly on the world stage, was a key pillar of his 2000 platform, in contrast to Paula Jones, Whitewater, Monica Lewinsky, the Government Shut down, and the Kosovo War, of the Clinton years.

That's why, no matter what, Donald Trump is doomed. Even if, against all odds, he makes it 4 or 8 years, Americans will rubberband back to something that is not Donald Trump and not his drama and embarrassments. It is the single most predictable behavior of American voters. We have a center of gravity and when pulled too far out we gravitate back to it, sometimes violently.

10+ Year Old Account
    5 billion sounds like a small amount to ensure EU peace. I can't wait till something like Srebrenica happens in the Balkans or when Turkey continues to violate Greek, Cypriot and European airspace with their jet fighters and radio-harass aircraft 100 times daily, surely a united European front will enforce border treaties and apply marine law.

Oh, wait, it's the EU, ergo money in the drain. I'd say let them continue spending money on EU states having a unified toothpaste color line they did in the last.
    Last edited by hellhamster; 2017-11-15 at 04:43 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    A highly disgruntled constituent of Lindsey Graham.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    This is an excellent post. It doubles exactly with what I heard from my closest friend (who did two deployments to Afghanistan and is now a BAE Contractor there on his third). I did not realize that things like the remote gun system could only be fixed by civilian contractors though. Is that some kind protection of intellectual property thing, or is it just so specialized that it wouldn't be realistic to train somebody to fix it?
    Pure profiteering as far as I am concerned. Soldiers work on more expensive and complicated equipment every day, it was my primary weapon system for two years, so I know the system like the back of my hand, in many cases I knew more then the FSR did, because they don't have very strict hiring policies. Still, the contract states that only company personnel can maintain it, and the spare parts aren't in the Army inventory.

15+ Year Old Account
    The bad policy will still happen, just in stealthier, less accountable fashions.
    Eh, so let me get this right, because of a fear for consequences the US aren't doing it in a stealthy less accountable fashion but right out in the open by using something that was worded in a way it can be used for virtually anything, despite there never been any real consequences?

Donald Trump is legitimately as bad as we can produce short of someone committing a violent crime, so no.
    I don't know, you could elect someone like bannon or alex jones, i'd say they would be worse, not in terms of idiocy but as a leader.

The next President is likely to be quieter and much more reconcilatory. In a way, this is going to be the reverse of the 2000 election. Bush's 2000 campaign was far more successful than it had any right being given the economy, because he and his team rightly identified that some section of America was interested in a return to a more disciplined, low key, and less scandalous administration. I know that's ironic in retrospect, but humility and being low key, particularly on the world stage, was a key pillar of his 2000 platform, in contrast to Paula Jones, Whitewater, Monica Lewinsky, the Government Shut down, and the Kosovo War, of the Clinton years.

That's why, no matter what, Donald Trump is doomed. Even if, against all odds, he makes it 4 or 8 years, Americans will rubberband back to something that is not Donald Trump and not his drama and embarrassments. It is the single most predictable behavior of American voters. We have a center of gravity and when pulled too far out we gravitate back to it, sometimes violently.
    I agree, that the next president will probably be quieter and overall better, but that doesn't change the system where someone like the donald could've been elected in the first place, thus the country is doomed to repeat that mistake.
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

The last 11 months. It will take a lot more than just 11 months and Donald Trump to permanently knock us out of the globalization game... a game we invented.

You're being hyperbolic.

TPP is dramatically imporant. I'm not sure how you can say it isn't. The EU plays a critical role in the world economy but it's lack of rapid oceanic access to Asia limits that.

It's not. To be blunt, you... Europe... you "Eurasians"... are not the first generation of of your peoples to think the worst is behind you. Oh maybe not so many or so interconnected, but Eurasia's children or grand children or great grand children will slaughter each other again.

The counter-argument to this usually employed is that economic interdependence will reduce, and eventually eliminate interstate or inter-ethnic conflict. The only way that this is true is if you define active conflict purely as "people killing people". That may be true, now (usually), but economic interdependence has done nothing to reduces the aggression between states. In many cases its actually encouraged it. A death toll will follow. And the reason should be pretty clear: if Iran, Russia or China haven't made abundantly clear the past few years, there are things more important to them than being rich.

So no. It's not obsolete. If anything we're probably in the beginning stages of the next sustained great power competition that will unleash a wave of bloodletting across much of Eurasia and Africa. It is in the nature of people living in Eurasia, which is to say, most of the human race, to dominate their neighbors. America will be loathe to let it hurt us like it did last time.

With good reason. Lest it need saying... piss on moral and cultural relativism. Liberal Democracies are intrinsically morally superior to autocracy, especially the bastardization of our ideas such as "Managed Democracy" or "Authoritarian Capitalism".

For two centuries Europeans have sneered at American moralizing about idealogy. And what was the result? Europe destroyed itself about three times in that time span? It's by contrast tough to argue with our record. Pax Americana - the longest and still enduring period without great power conflict in nearly two thousand years.

If liberal democracy starts getting weak at the knees around the world, it'll come crashing down in a fraction of the time. Or to put it another way, the Freest countries sin the world should be it's most dangerous. China and Russia should actively fear the power of liberal democracies to defend ourselves.

On the contrary, our allies in the region want us to do more. You may not want us to, personally. But our NATO and Asian-Pacific allies have been clamoring for us to do more against Russia and China, literally for years.

Angela Merkel's speech early in the year about European independence was met by Germany planning to get in on the F-35 to replace the Tornado, and starting to look into buying more US defense hardware. Talk is cheap. Actions mean more.

Europe should be a more equal partner to the US. I've said that. But in terms of practical moves to this? Effectively zero, with none on the horizon. The only thing has changed is that our loser President is giving everyone an awful case of heartburn.

The world hasn't changed remotely. It's a global economy where the US still commands around 30% of it, a global finance sector that together America and Europe dominate, a defense scene that the United States is still hegemonic in. The only thing that's changed is that Donald Trump, because he is a policy idiot, isn't going around weilding human rights and democracy like the sword against authoritarianism it is meant to be. It won't be that way forever.

I'm the first person to talk of the importance with regards to moral highground when it comes to foreign policy. But equally that must be recognized that this line here is one that's been used against the US again, for almost two centuries. In the 19th century, Europeans said that about our legacy slavery. In the early 20th century, it was Jim Crow. In the mid 20th century, it was civil rights, Vietnam, nuclear weapons testing and support for coups in the developing world. In the 1980s and 1990s it was our relationship with the Arabs.

When exactly have we had the uncontested 'moral high ground'?

The United States does tremendously shitty things sometimes. It will always do tremendously shitty things, and justify it. That's not a pre-requisit to global power. It's a force multiplier no doubt, but the waxing and waning and waxing again of US moral authority is an old story that's only served to enhance our power. Case in point, during the 1970s, the Soviet's propagandized hard over Watergate, showing that even the leader of the free world was deeply hippocritical at the very top of their system with respect for Democracy and rule of law. Many in Europe on the left, still enraged about Vietnam, agreed with them. You know what healed that? Time and changes of government. US moral authority was restored and then some in a decade and a half.

Impotence? Never mind that the US wiped out ISIS with, how shall we say, rather limited support from our European allies, but in regards to a larger involvement, that was a legitimate political disagreement here at home.

So let me get this right. We rush to War in Iraq. We don't go to war fast enough in Syria. What exactly does "doing it right" look like? This harkens back to a thought I've had since 2003. People around the world forget the relative power to change conditions until the US actually utilizes it power to do so. These talks of "limits"... man, I heard that shit in the 1990s, and it was B.S. then, as Afghanistan and Iraq showed. I heard that in the 2000s, and it was B.S. as Libya showed.

Is it really going to take a war against North Korea to knock that idea dead? The only limits the US has, in this regard, is the ones it sets on itself... to decide the degree to which to commit. Certainly no other countries or set of circumstances impose limits. Or do I need to whip out the old maps showing how every conflict the US has been in since 1995 would lead to World War III, according to someone? Because my personal favorite is how if the US started to bomb Iran, how Russia would come to its rescue.

That's a weird statement. ISIS fucking our shit up? They became your problem because you people let refugees into Europe when you could have slammed the door.

American colonialism would look quite different. The US has to cajole or bribe our "colonies" in your explanation, to do our will or cooperate with us. A true colonial power wouldn't be doing that. It would just demand.

Nonsense, and I have proof. Barack Obama. He went from zero to hero from 1998 to 2008, by making the right moves. No power base. Was the dark horse of the 2008 Democratic primary. He became President on the back of genuine people power, something Bill Clinton did in 1992.

Much of what is actually ascribed to as "corruption" or "money in politics" is a lazy excuse to genuine disagreement in America between political agenda. Europeans may not see it like this, but in this country it is a legitimate political opinion that the government should play no role, whatsoever, in regulating the economy. Market fundamentalism is a bit much for many Americans, but when you see regulations on corporations rolled back, understand, many Americans also sincerely believe that is a good thing.

I'm not sure if you know your history with respect to America, but this is a country where, until the founding of the Federal Reserve System in the second decade of the 20th century, this country fought bitterly over the very concept of a Federal Central Bank for over one hundred years. Perhaps only slavery was the more divisive political issue in the 19th century. And those disagreements never have entirely gone away.

And that's a deeply unfair statement. The executive branch is certainly dysfunctional due to poor management at the very stop. But our elections are highly dynamic. Even Trump winning and upsetting a would-be political dynasty is symbolic of the political dynanism at play here. And today, Americans are talking regularly about concepts that I think you'd find few other countries talk about on a regular basis, like ethics in government.

We're going to be a much better country on the other side of Trump, just as we were Watergate.

But another statement. "Dysfunctional democracy". You mean perhaps our legislative branch? Again, it is doing EXACTLY what it is designed to do. Consider, states send Representatives and Senators to Washington with the promise of repealing Obamacare. And others send them there, in near equal numbers, to defend Obamacare. Is it any surprise there is gridlock, when 50 states and 325 million people fundamentally disagree?

It's much easier to govern a more centralized and homogeneous 20, 30 or 50 million person European country. But the slowness of our system is a feature, not a bug. Even despite Trump I wouldn't want to trade our system for a more responsive parliamentary democracy.

No. Because frankly, we don't trust you people in time to not find new ways to kill each other that will effect us. 70 years of peace does not earn the bulk of humanity that, least of all Europe, with explicitly America's non-involvement with the perpetual European conflict having been, pre-World War I, the single foundation of US foreign policy.

Simply put, you are are not strong enough, even together, to deal with your shit. You never will be. And without us a predator will come for one or some of you. And it will draw all the others in. And eventually us. The lesson of World War II is that Eurasia is now on perpetual probation, and they don't get a chance.

This is truly a bizarre comment. You speak of what _you_ want for the Middle East. Not what they want. The people themselves, living there, have been moving closer to religion for most of the past 150 years. This does happen you know, right? Religious revivals. They've waxed and waned in regions throughout the world for millennia. For all we know Europe could be a hub for Christianity in another 200 years. But with respect to the broader Middle East, the religious path it's gone down predates America's involvement there by over a century. Yes. Some Middle Eastern countries dabbled with democracy, or alternatively, with Arab nationalism. Those never had any kind of roots that Westerners would recognize, particularly Arab nationalism. The role of religion however, has been only increasing.

Maybe it will be this way in 50 years. Maybe it will change. But they will decide, and that'll have very little to do with us.

And the problem is their definition of "what is China" is not the definition. It's actually farcical compared to the other claims.

Would you suggest we just let them have their claim? Like hell.

Of course the United States. You're right, Europe and Americans do have a fundamental difference of opinion. And your opinion is poorly informed, and here's what.

You're from Germany right? Where does the German border end and the American border begin? From the American policy perspective, I'll tell you where. The American border begins approximately one inch outside the German border, and at the threshold of your eyes, brain and ears. The US, in other words, borders 193 countries, not just Mexico and Canada. The US borders 7 billion people.

The concept of a border being a physical thing - the Mexican border, the Canadian border, or the US coastlines is deeply archaic and hasn't been an appropriate or even relvant mode of thinking for many decades. Our border begins where our ideas, interests, influence and economics come in contact with others who are not American. We set our borders so far away because, as history as shown, we can defense-via-offense is the approach that has reaped the strongest rewards for us. We do this with soft-power, which is where our ideas spill and displace other ideas. We do this with economics, where were can exert control (and far more control now than even a decade ago, thanks to how the US has used it). In the case of the SCS, that's even more concrete. A huge percentage of global trade, which the US is deeply effected by, goes through the SCS. As a trade power, we have a direct interest in that not being dominated by China. As such our "virtual border" extends there.

All countries do this, this just don't couch it in such terms. It is really civilians who think that if everybody were left alone to do their own thing, and minded their own plot of land, then all the rationales of conflict would just go away. That's never been the case. It'll never be that case, because that's not how any country operates, which means that their interests and "virtual borders" grinding against each other will create new sources of conflict.

To be honestly, much of what you wrote calls into question the ability of European to be an equal partner to America at all. Being so will require a degree of activism to advance interests, even in a cold blooded manner, that you've expressed an aversion to. People thought the United States was the weird rich democratic cousin across the pond for a hundred years. Then we became a world power and suddenly we're the "World Police" or "Colonial Superpower". A United Europe, with a European Army, will invite exactly the same criticism. Because it, like the United States... like anything that has significant mass, will cause a reaction just by existing, and many people will be outraged by that reaction.

Europe really has two choices. Be mostly harmless, and by extent, mostly ineffectual... our actually wield the tools of power to advance its interests, an deal with the fact that things like that moral authority you're so wedded to... sometimes you're gonna have to look in the mirror and say "we did a shitty thing today".
    We're heading straight into a US/EU viewpoint superdiscussion that requires me to do way more copy&paste quoting than I'm willing to do. So let me just briefly touch on some points that I want to comment on.

When I say "let ME deal with shit itself", I literally mean let things evolve until they bash their heads in and get it all out. Europe has done that, it was cathartic in that subsequent nations became a lot more secular. The idea that religion can be entirely independent, nay, dependent on the secular Governments even, that idea has to take root and defend itself. This is something, like so many things, that the US never had to go through, since you basically inherited the motherload of lessons from Europe before the US was even a thing. You carried all of that over to the new coast and hey, you made something of it.

The ME didn't have that. They never did. Sunni and Shiite? They're exactly where Catholicism and Protestantism were in the 17th century. Germany (as usual) was the hotspot for that conflict and it ravaged the country in a 30 year war that dragged most of Europe with it. But since then these two "tastes" of Christianity suddenly stopped having a competition and agreed to disagree. So much so that the mere notion of these things being a reason for conflict is pretty much isolated to Northern Ireland. The British love being special, so I'll ignore that for now.

There's no need for you to interfere with that. However, you do waltz into the ME and basically tell them to go democracy, because... awesome. You do not teach them. You do not lay the ground works. You literally bomb their education everytime a B2 goes "Whoops, wrong building" and another school is rubble. You can't just go in there and tell them to democracy like that. The majority of them doesn't even understand the concept. And the other people can't be informed about their choices, because the infrastructure is shot to hell, thanks to US landscaping efforts from the air.

And while you're doing all of that, you're actively building up resentment in their countries. In the history of mankind, there has not been a stronger force uniting people from different factions than an outside force applying pressure. Just like the US is doing in the past 17 years or so. Kuwait was one thing, you actually liberated a country and then basically fucked off to do your own thing again. That's fine. Thanks for all the fish. Afghanistan? They desperately needed a beating to get back on track, but really.. nobody would've given a shit had they not destroyed your towers. Seriously, outside of intel people nobody here even knew what Taliban were. We pay people to know this kind of shit so we don't have to. And now, thanks to that Iraq adventure, we have those shitheads brainwashing people in our countries so yes, now we do have to know them. Awesome. Thanks, mate. Really good job not fucking our lives up here in Europe.

About Syria, you defeated ISIS? Hardly. If anyone, it was probably a combined effort between Iraq, Turkey and mostly Kurds incidentally living in that area. All you've done is drop some bombs and... ironically, provide weapons for ISIS by not actually paying attention to whom you're giving weapons. Mind you, Germany hasn't been much smarter. But here's the 101 of arms trade: You do not give weapons to people that drop them at the first crack of a bullet above their head. Those weapons will be picked up by an enemy and then they're a liability for you.

I don't necessarily disagree with your general idea that you can't trust the rest of the world. I mean, perhaps you're right. But that's not the right question. It's not whether or not you can trust them, it's whether or not you can do something about it. Right now, global power balance is heavily skewed. Let's assume Trump pisses off China enough for them to do something about it. First order of business for them? Be nice to you. Be super nice. And then build up their army some more. See, the problem is, the kind of enemy the US is making has the one big advantage... they know where the target is and they know when they want to strike. So, either you fuck them up now, because apparently it's inevitable by the talk I see on here... or you let them be. But poking and prodding them will probably be just about as successful as poking the metaphorical bear.

Here's another lesson for you from Europe... military tech advantage, ANY kind of military tech advantage... is flimsy. If you piss someone off enough, he can actually outtech you. Oh, so you think China can't afford it? Who gives a shit about money, really? Some of the best strategists in Europe have been broke when they started wars. Heck, some started wars because they were broke. And they came up with pretty nifty ideas in the process. Not technically out-teching the other side, but more... circumventing the whole tech altogether. Castles? Super good against people with swords and muskets and heck, even cannon balls for a good long while. Not so efficient, however, when someone simply digs under them and explodes a metric ton of explosives.

So yes, I can see how it's tempting to rest on technical advantage and argue from a position of strength. But no empire has lasted forever. And no technological advantage has survived a new ideology or ideas if they opposed it.

It's not just Trump btw, it began with Bush Jr. Obama was a welcome intermezzo of reason and diplomacy, but if you keep on voting apes like Bush and Trump into office, people will not want to play with you much longer.

As for China, and this goes for you, too @Noradin: If China truly was expansionistic, North Korea wouldn't exist anymore and Vietnam may very well be a Chinese vassal state by now. Heck, Taiwan wouldn't even be a topic if expansion was the goal. As it stands, the current unspoken agreement between Taiwan and China is: Taiwan doesn't press too hard on the independence button and China let's them get away with using their own flag at the Olympics. If the US even makes the mistake of motivating Taiwan to go full "Hoorah, independence!" mode, you'll get a taste of how quickly China can crack down on their front yard and how little aircraft carriers can do to change that. Thing the UN will help you? A double veto from China and Russia are a given, so you'll have to rely on your NATO partners. And Europe really doesn't seem to be interested in Taiwan all that much, to be honest. So it'll be you and... I guess Japan vs. China.

Now that's totally not a scenario everyone else would like to avoid. Best to step out and let China have their fun. It's not like they object much when you use the ME for live fire practice. Or did you actually think the US had accomplished jack shit in the ME? Apart from pissing a whole lot of people with weapons off, nope. Not a thing was accomplished in the ME. Oh, you got Saddam Hussein and Bin Laden killed. Whoop-dee-doo. I doubt that really lessens the pain of the civilian victims in NYC beyond a mere symbolic phyrrus victory.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I suspect there will be more unification to follow - especially on things like Climate/Industrial/Financial policy. The UK has been dragging the EU back for years - and I say this as someone from the UK.
    Last edited by Snorkles; 2017-11-15 at 11:00 PM.

Sure, but for good and ill, the EU isn't the great or the little Satan, we are their friends, i'm a bit uncomfortable with this dynamic that is playing out right now, but, well, we still are friends.

On this one we differ, they need to be helped to get up again:
    No, actually, I agree with Skroe on this one. They need to realise that they are not a super power anymore. And I'll not have them taint the esteemed European democratic institutions until they bloody learn what democracy is. Heck, even the ex-Soviet Union satellites have managed that much. If barely in some cases...
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!

10+ Year Old Account
    A highly disgruntled constituent of Lindsey Graham.
    I agree, that the next president will probably be quieter and overall better, but that doesn't change the system where someone like the donald could've been elected in the first place, thus the country is doomed to repeat that mistake.
    Actually Americans are fairly good at not repeating our major mistakes. We make some pretty big ones, but we learn and move on. We do keep making the anti-immigration one, and occasionally yielding too much power to corporate interests, but it is a pretty big cycle. If we can get another Teddy Roosevelt to smash up the overly powerful corporate interests and do something to save the environment while he is it at it, we will be in pretty good shape.

Not sure what you are advocating exactly, do you think the world would be in a better place if we were less of a democracy? What exactly are you proposing we do to stop "The system that elected the Donald in the first place"? Traditionally the world starts getting pretty nervous when we get all authoritianish.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thekri View Post
    Actually Americans are fairly good at not repeating our major mistakes. We make some pretty big ones, but we learn and move on. We do keep making the anti-immigration one, and occasionally yielding too much power to corporate interests, but it is a pretty big cycle. If we can get another Teddy Roosevelt to smash up the overly powerful corporate interests and do something to save the environment while he is it at it, we will be in pretty good shape.
    You're aware that the times of roosevelt are 110 years ago? But i do like that you say you occasionally yield too much power to corporate interests when for about 40 years money is the largest indicator for something to become law.

Quote Originally Posted by Thekri View Post
    Not sure what you are advocating exactly, do you think the world would be in a better place if we were less of a democracy? What exactly are you proposing we do to stop "The system that elected the Donald in the first place"? Traditionally the world starts getting pretty nervous when we get all authoritianish.
    First of, i'm advocating you to become more democratic. A two party system isn't great for new ideas or parties to gain momentum. Second of, when was the last time the US got authoritianish, never heard of that before?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Snorkles View Post
    I suspect there will be more unification to follow - especially on things like Climate/Industrial/Financial policy. The UK has been dragging the UK back for years - and I say this as someone from the UK.
    And here i thought the EU was dragging the UK back for years.

10+ Year Old Account
    And here i thought the EU was dragging the UK back for years.
    Realised my mistake - although the UK has been dragging itself back for years. So I'm not wrong...

Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    As for China, and this goes for you, too @Noradin: If China truly was expansionistic, North Korea wouldn't exist anymore and Vietnam may very well be a Chinese vassal state by now. Heck, Taiwan wouldn't even be a topic if expansion was the goal. As it stands, the current unspoken agreement between Taiwan and China is: Taiwan doesn't press too hard on the independence button and China let's them get away with using their own flag at the Olympics. If the US even makes the mistake of motivating Taiwan to go full "Hoorah, independence!" mode, you'll get a taste of how quickly China can crack down on their front yard and how little aircraft carriers can do to change that. Thing the UN will help you? A double veto from China and Russia are a given, so you'll have to rely on your NATO partners. And Europe really doesn't seem to be interested in Taiwan all that much, to be honest. So it'll be you and... I guess Japan vs. China.

Now that's totally not a scenario everyone else would like to avoid. Best to step out and let China have their fun. It's not like they object much when you use the ME for live fire practice. Or did you actually think the US had accomplished jack shit in the ME? Apart from pissing a whole lot of people with weapons off, nope. Not a thing was accomplished in the ME. Oh, you got Saddam Hussein and Bin Laden killed. Whoop-dee-doo. I doubt that really lessens the pain of the civilian victims in NYC beyond a mere symbolic phyrrus victory.
    There is more than one way how a expansionist country can act.
    Yes, some of them try by military force (see Russia), but that generally comes with a price (again, see Russia).
    But being expansionist does not automatically make all their leaders idiots. They can think and predict in advance how such overt moves would turn out for them, and they know they have other options--and they use them. Just look at what they are doing in Africa.

And they are not a democracy just looking towards the next election cycle, they are playing the long game.
    They will try to game our rules as long as possible, because we will let them, because as long as they do they play by our rules where they apply, that is: They will play by the word of our rules if not by the spirit of them. What we need to do is leave them just enough so it is to their benefit to keep playing as long as possible, but only just enough; or our system of values will lose to theirs.

They aren't "expansionist" in a hasty land-grabbing kind of way, they expand by buying our companies but not allowing us to buy theirs, they expand by forcing our companies to cede their tech to them, by circumventing our patents but insisting we uphold theirs in our countries. By subsidizing "private" companies to reserve the rights to resources for China in other countries but blocking our companies from doing the same in China.

Thinking "expansionist" means "constantly invading their neighbours militarily" is too narrow a scope.
    That is not what I mean with "expansionist" regarding China. Its more what Russia is trying, and even they are pretending not to do it.
    China being "expansionist" is more akin to how Google is expansionist, they try to subvert our laws by sheer size of their economy and he only way to counter that is by being bigger economically so that they cannot risk their bluff being called.
    Last edited by Noradin; 2017-11-16 at 12:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Noradin View Post
    There is more than one way how a expansionist country can act.
    Yes, some of them try by military force (see Russia), but that generally comes with a price (again, see Russia).
    But being expansionist does not automatically make all their leaders idiots. They can think and predict in advance how such overt moves would turn out for them, and they know they have other options--and they use them. Just look at what they are doing in Africa.

And they are not a democracy just looking towards the next election cycle, they are playing the long game.
    They will try to game our rules as long as possible, because we will let them, because as long as they do they play by our rules where they apply, that is: They will play by the word of our rules if not by the spirit of them. What we need to do is leave them just enough so it is to their benefit to keep playing as long as possible, but only just enough; or our system of values will lose to theirs.

They aren't "expansionist" in a hasty land-grabbing kind of way, they expand by buying our companies but not allowing us to buy theirs, they expand by forcing our companies to cede their tech to them, by circumventing our patents but insisting we uphold theirs in our countries. By subsidizing "private" companies to reserve the rights to resources for China in other countries but blocking our companies from doing the same in China.

Thinking "expansionist" means "constantly invading their neighbours militarily" is too narrow a scope.
    That is not what I mean with "expansionist" regarding China. Its more what Russia is trying, and even they are pretending not to do it.
    China being "expansionist" is more akin to how Google is expansionist, they try to subvert our laws by sheer size of their economy and he only way to counter that is by being bigger economically so that they cannot risk their bluff being called.
    Expansionism is literally about land grabs. Not economical expansion. And to be fair, economic "warfare" is quite widely spread and especially the EU and the US should not start throwing stones in that glass house. The amount of open blackmail and manhandling our two regions have done over the decades is staggering. That China only now picks up on our strategies and tries to play the big version of Monopoly isn't really a big surprise. Look at how quickly the US started talking about punitive custom charges all of a sudden. All it takes is one bad apple and a half-decent PR campaign to totally justify what is essentially an open economic war between two allies.

Nah, I don't blame China one bit. I'd rather team up with them, because they have the most valuable resource in abundance: manpower.

5+ Year Old Account
    First of, i'm advocating you to become more democratic. A two party system isn't great for new ideas or parties to gain momentum. Second of, when was the last time the US got authoritianish, never heard of that before?
    The US has never been democratic, it's a corporate ogliopoly.

A real democracy doesn't consist of two parties who are both in the major industries' pockets.
    For the [enter opposing faction here]

Expansionism is literally about land grabs. Not economical expansion. And to be fair, economic "warfare" is quite widely spread and especially the EU and the US should not start throwing stones in that glass house. The amount of open blackmail and manhandling our two regions have done over the decades is staggering. That China only now picks up on our strategies and tries to play the big version of Monopoly isn't really a big surprise. Look at how quickly the US started talking about punitive custom charges all of a sudden. All it takes is one bad apple and a half-decent PR campaign to totally justify what is essentially an open economic war between two allies.

Nah, I don't blame China one bit. I'd rather team up with them, because they have the most valuable resource in abundance: manpower.
    Yes, eventually, but just because they take their time now does not mean they aren't preparing for it.
    And in the end I do not care who "claims the land nominally", I care who makes the rules and especially what those rules turn out to be.

Also, I do not blame China for this tactic (see prefious posts of mine), it is their right to try.
    I do not want them to succeed, because I do not like where they are going.
    Last edited by Noradin; 2017-11-16 at 03:39 PM.

Deleted
    No, actually, I agree with Skroe on this one. They need to realise that they are not a super power anymore. And I'll not have them taint the esteemed European democratic institutions until they bloody learn what democracy is. Heck, even the ex-Soviet Union satellites have managed that much. If barely in some cases...
    In this scenario we are talking about a newly collapsed Russia, the goal being giving them the eastern expansion treatment, I.E reconstitute their society wholesale.

Yes, eventually, but just because they take their time now does not mean they aren't preparing for it.
    And in the end I do not care who "claims the land nominally", I care who makes the rules and especially what those rules turn out to be.

Also, I do not blame China for this tactic (see prefious posts of mine), it is their right to try.
    I do not want them to succeed, because I do not like where they are going.
    They have been "taking their time" for 2000 years now. I wonder when their glorious master plan is about to hatch. My money is on "not tomorrow". I get being suspicious and watching what the other side is doing. But the rhetoric regarding China is really based in a lot of misunderstandings and misconceptions. Which is natural, since fuck all people actually understand what Chinese are thinking culturally. Nope, Wuxia movies don't make one an expert in all things China. And yet, the US claims to not only have figured the Chinese out, they think they know all the red lines. No, they don't. Here's the gist... turn up at their borders and they will push you back into the ocean, as they veritably demonstrated in Korea. And then they will simply stop, retreat and pretend it never happened. Heck, if it had been any European nation pushing the Americans back in Korea, Korea would be called New England by now.

Nope, not buying the expansionist theory until I see them actually grab something that I couldn't easily refute as "Well, yeah... to them it's China."

- - - Updated - - -

In this scenario we are talking about a newly collapsed Russia, the goal being giving them the eastern expansion treatment, I.E reconstitute their society wholesale.
    Hmm, I don't think that is possible. If you look at the eastern bloc that wasn't Russia, many of those countries weren't as far gone as Russia is. They embraced the West greedily, they have been wanting that freedom for decades. Russia? They still somehow think history has dealt them a particularily harsh fate, that the world is out to get them and that they were betrayed by... well, basically everyone that ever talked to them.

Russian paranoia is a real thing. Why do you think their low effort cheap ass bullshit propaganda finds so many believers? It's because people want to believe them. The alternative is them opening their eyes and realising what their country really is like.

They have been "taking their time" for 2000 years now.
    Nope, they are taking their time for a decade now.
    Unfortunately your disbelief will not help us, but then, it is not like you are in a position to do something about this.
    Last edited by Noradin; 2017-11-16 at 06:25 PM.

Nope, they are taking their time for a decade now.
    Yes, sure. Because South China Sea and Taiwan are a new thing... When did you start reading the news?