Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    I started playing a mage back in early BC and eventually after hitting 70, I made my druid and started healing and loved it. Healed as druid every expansion but cata (played enhance shaman for the first half) and legion (moonkin).

Really loving moonkin now, and will probably be staying at that if they don't completely redesign them...again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Its based mainly on how much I love that character at the time. I started as a Belf rogue and that toon is my oldest and main for about 3 or 4 years then I started to love my tauren DK and that has been my main ever since.
    Today is Beautiful and so are you, here's to having a wonderful day.

Vanilla - Tauren prot warrior. I wanted to tank. Warriors were THE tanks. Tauren for sweet stam. Also I was Sastank...Sasquatch (because hairy) + a tank...I was like 15 don't judge me ok.
    Prot Warrior 2004-2008. Hunter 2008-2018.
    Retired boomer.

Vanilla - Warlock (Rogue and Hunter alt).
    TBC - Hunter (warlock became alt, rogue and druid became minor alts)
    WOTLK - DK to this day, warlock still main alt, hunter got deleted with the garbage they did to them in legion. Main alts are Priest, Warlock, Druid, Rogue.

DK has been main since day one WOTLK because I just love their aesthetics. I have always like the "anti-paladin" or "shadow knight" type of character, with a little necromancy on the side

7+ Year Old Account
    After eleven years of playing I still haven't decided. In the last couple of years I've learned that I'm a tank. I love tanking. I've leveled every tank to max level, "mained" BrM monk for the longest time in Legion, and just recently switched to my guardian druid. I'm slowly but steadily beginning to call druid my main, not only because I love the playstyle, the shapeshifting and the possibilities of playing a hybrid class; but also because I am an absolute lore-freak - and druids have some amazing stories to be told.
    I think everybody's nuts.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elum View Post
    I know this is a common questions but i'm interested in how you chose your main?

Was is this expansion you changed your main character or did you decide long ago in vanilla?

Why did you choose that role and spec?

What do you like the most about that role and spec?

Do you have alts which are similar to your main (Demo pets and BM with pets)

What content do you do PvP / PvE / RP ?

if PvE - Mythic or heroic or normal?
    Maybe you could add a poll, OP.

OT: My main was always either a Mage or a Priest. I have always liked spellcasters in RPGs, moreso when WC2 and 3 were mostly all about melee combat, with casters being mainly support units, and more often than not overlooked (unless you played Human in TFT). As a matter of fact, my first char, back in Vanilla, was an Undead Priest... God, it was funny to suck so much at everything Later in BC, I switched to a Belf Mage, cuz Kael'thas

10+ Year Old Account
    My main has to have at least one spec that is good in both PvP and PvE. Over the years I grown to like to Tank over melee dps in PvE, so its a plus if it has a tank spec. RP, I have to "feel" the toon as well. When I choose my alt I prefer it to be 180 of my main, meaning my main is a dark class, I'd prefer my alt to be light or spiritual. Or, if my main is leather I'd prefer my alt to be something else. I've changed my mains several times as the specs have had so many iterations over the years. Went from Druid to rogue to Mage to Monk to Demon Hunter. Right now I have a DH main with a Mage alt and with that combo I can pretty much maintain interest in the game.

My main when I first started was a mage, I decided on an undead mage. Why? well the idea behind a vengeful dead mage who shoots fireballs at your face was pretty cool back in the fifth grade. I eventually would make a pally and hunter and main hunter by the time BC is in full swing. I still have that mage 12 years later, it was my main at the beginning of legion and I still play it about as much as a main but right now I am enjoying Death Knight and all it's specs. in the words of Creed Branton, "It all seems so very arbitrary. I chose a character on this game because it looked and sounded cool. I chose a faction because they looked intimidating and picked that server because my friends were on there. But, no matter how many alts you make or new mains you choose, human beings have this miraculous gift to make that character home or your real main. Let's do this."

First character I created, I've always loved characters that were dark in some way so warlock was right up my alley and I chose gnome because it was funny to me a little angry spud (angry ugly male gnome face) who summoned the forces of darkness, now that is hilarious.

Only time warlock has not been my main have been when they have been mechanically shithouse to play (Cata\WoD\Legion) then my main has been my DK but my second leveled character and second character to get everything done has always been my warlock
    When I was younger I used to hope bad things wouldn't happen.
    Now I just hope they're at least funny when they do.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Elum View Post
    I know this is a common questions but i'm interested in how you chose your main?

Was is this expansion you changed your main character or did you decide long ago in vanilla?

Why did you choose that role and spec?

What do you like the most about that role and spec?

Do you have alts which are similar to your main (Demo pets and BM with pets)

What content do you do PvP / PvE / RP ?

if PvE - Mythic or heroic or normal?
    I always liked the RPG genre and I always played warrior/barbarian, soldier type mostly, because of the shield. So it was no question that I go with a warrior. Also warriors are a "basic" class among plate wearer melee classes, everything else builds up on it.
    Warrior has rage as source of power and it meant some sort of safety back when mana pool and oom as a dps was real. So a plate wearer melee that has unlimited resource to fuel/use abilities.

Warrior can be tank which is a rare role among many dps, so it's a safe spot in any pug content (mostly 5 man), and the queue time is literally seconds most of the time. Warrior also has 2 other unique dps specs which makes them a versatile class, giving choices whether playing pve or pvp content (I'm playing pve most of the time, getting curve in each tier is my personal goal, I never raid mythic).

The decision when I created this good old character had an other element, the race (being alliance was evident). I didn't want a human back then, because in a fantasy world why should I go with a human? Other races were also not too appealing (tall human with pointy ears and 2 types of short human, meh) compared to draenei (horns, tails, hooves, tentacles and the waggle!) and their story, lore. They are a technically and spiritually advanced otherworldly society who escaped from the legion and needed help in their crisis.
    And now, when the story escalates, I like that I chose them as a race, because their thousand year long suffering finally comes to an end.

Deleted
    I was a mage in vanilla. In TBC I made Hunter alt. Hunter was just for me and i liked it (Steady shot spam wtf) so I rerolled. Stuck with hunter since. Guess whatever will happen still will be a hunter.

Druid, I liked the shapeshifting theme and I couldn't make a DK as a newbie(EDGE LORDS UNITE), while leveling my druid I started to like it more and more and it eventually became my main until legion where I quit because i strongly disliked the changes, but they are finally growing on me again. While I'm still a shitter at feral PvE and resto, I love my thicc bear ass and celestially bodying people.

Current main because it is/was OP, previous mains because they were fun to play, but then Legion happened and Blizzard made it so basically no spec is particularly fun to play for extended periods of time.
    Tradushuffle
    <Echoes>
    Laughing Skull-EU

I played paladin and rogue in beta. On the last week I tried warrior. 13 years later I'm still maining one, with rogue and paladin alts.

10+ Year Old Account
    I play Paladin because I love the aesthetic. I love holy knights fighting in the name of some greater deity. It just feels so amaaazing.
    Isn't it fitting WoW really took a nosedive after 'the Cataclysm'?

Went DK in Legion. Just wanted a tanking class with all three specs being fun (for me, that meant no healing). DK was the choice I made and it was the right one.

I think it's still the warrior, though I go through phases of playing one toon more than others. And as much as I love being a DPS warrior, I absolutely love warrior tanking in legion. I feel like an unstoppable badass with the ignore pain ability. I love tanking in legion as a whole with all my tanks but the warrior is the most satisfying and enjoyable.

10+ Year Old Account
    I started in classic with a priest, because a friend told me, healers were always welcome in raids. Stopped raiding in BC (because reallife-things) and played a druid for a while. Switched to hunter in WotLK and still play that one as main today.

I started with an Arms Warrior in late Vanilla and finished to level it in TBC.. Then I stopped using it because as Arms nobody cares about me unless I tank, and I didn't like to tank with warrior.. So I switched to Feral Druid..

Now in Legion I'm back to Arms Warrior and I love it. And I think this is why I won't try Classic

Combination of which I'm most inspired to play atm, and which is most solid for raiding. Always looking for a win-win where I'm enjoying what I play and the team never feels like I'm holding them back.

"I Am Vengeance. I Am The Night. I Am Felfáádaern!"