Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

For the First Time Ever, Scientists Boosted Human Memory With a Brain Implant

A professor built a brain implant that can reportedly improve short-term memory by 15 percent and working memory by 25 percent. The device could prove life-changing for the growing segment of the population impacted by Alzheimer's and dementia.
    More in the article:
    https://futurism.com/first-time-scie...brain-implant/

The first step towards human/computer interface. We have advanced so much more in the past 20 years than we did between 1950-1990. I can't wait to see what the next 10-20 years will hold for us. Bring on the future!

Sounds like there is no interface with the chip and brain cells, just electrodes that stimulate the brain with electricity. Still it works and it's a big advance.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

I had mine installed at the LIMB clinic this morning. Not bad but not worth an entire Praxis kit imo.

Deleted
    It will fry your brains.

I feel like this could lead to severe health RAMifications.
    "I'm not stuck in the trench, I'm maintaining my rating."

Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    I feel like this could lead to severe health RAMifications.
    oh you

/10chars

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
    More in the article:
    https://futurism.com/first-time-scie...brain-implant/

The first step towards human/computer interface. We have advanced so much more in the past 20 years than we did between 1950-1990. I can't wait to see what the next 10-20 years will hold for us. Bring on the future!
    Pretty awesome stuff - thanks for posting it. If you are into "future advances" like I am, I love this site, futuretimeline.net. Very good stuff.

Wave of the future! I know as I get older we will be getting into more and more dilemas. Things so much more interesting than the gay & more than 2 gender arguments we have now.

What is your stance on splicing? Should people who splice be allowed to procreate?
    Do we allow human machine optimization? If so how much
    Do we allow humans to modify the genes of their children to get rid of bad diseases? What about so they are tall?

In any case this is fascinating we are reaching this potential so quickly. Very interesting things to come!

That's amazing. Will be very interesting to see the impact of technological advancement on not just memory, but the potential eradication of neurocognitive disorders like Alzheimer's.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Pretty awesome stuff - thanks for posting it. If you are into "future advances" like I am, I love this site, futuretimeline.net. Very good stuff.
    That's a really nice website, thanks for that, I will bookmark it.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RazingCain View Post
    Wave of the future! I know as I get older we will be getting into more and more dilemas. Things so much more interesting than the gay & more than 2 gender arguments we have now.

What is your stance on splicing? Should people who splice be allowed to procreate?
    Do we allow human machine optimization? If so how much
    Do we allow humans to modify the genes of their children to get rid of bad diseases? What about so they are tall?

In any case this is fascinating we are reaching this potential so quickly. Very interesting things to come!
    Not sure what it is, we let the gays have kids, so why not.

Like replacing my arm with a grappling hook, because that would be awesome. dunno. maybe keep the original-ish brain and/or spinal column?

I see that as a moral responsibility. If they want to pay for it, then why not have a designer baby?
    O Flora, of the moon, of the dream. O Little ones, O fleeting will of the ancients. Let the hunter be safe. Let them find comfort. And let this dream, their captor, Foretell a pleasant awakening

10+ Year Old Account
    Getting an MRI with one of those stuck in your brain would probably be an unpleasant ordeal.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    That's amazing. Will be very interesting to see the impact of technological advancement on not just memory, but the potential eradication of neurocognitive disorders like Alzheimer's.
    This chip is interesting in this regard. By stimulating the brain, will it improve our abilities in the long run too, or will it have a drawback eventually?

Anyway, we're making progress. We're living in the future and it's exciting.
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

what happens if you get an MRI or an x-ray?

feels kinda dangerous. also, lightning strikes. people can sometimes survive them, but with this i think it'd be game over. not really worth considering though, since it's so rare.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kasuke06 View Post
    maybe keep the original-ish brain and/or spinal column?
    The human spine is one thing that needs work. It's a poor design for standing upright. The bi-curved shape puts huge pressure on the lowest vertebrae, causing loads of problems which wouldn't exist with a simple arch design.

Though that presents the problem of your head being much further forward (the existing design keeps it basically centred). You'd need something to balance it out, like a heavy tail, so you could keep balanced while standing rather than falling forwards.

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    what happens if you get an MRI or an x-ray?
    Probably nothing. As the article mentions, these types of devices are currently used for treating certain forms of epilepsy that don't respond to other treatments.

MRIs have been found to have no significant effect on these devices.
    Last edited by Masark; 2017-11-17 at 03:45 AM.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    Probably nothing. As the article mentions, these types of devices are currently used for treating certain forms of epilepsy that don't respond to other treatments.

MRIs have been found to have no significant effect on these devices.
    ah, that's good.

this does a lot of good though, i'm glad for it.

I badly need that, often find myself planning to do something and forgetting about it the moment I pass through the door.

Still waiting to be able to download knowledge straight to the brain like in The Matrix...

Speaking of which, if we ever get to that point would that render Schools obsolete?

where do I sign up. I forget what I'm saying mid sentence all the time. Also can't retain what I read on a page after 5 minutes or so.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Sign me up in 5 years after they sure all the bugs are worked out, I would like such an Implant

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    The human spine is one thing that needs work. It's a poor design for standing upright. The bi-curved shape puts huge pressure on the lowest vertebrae, causing loads of problems which wouldn't exist with a simple arch design.

Though that presents the problem of your head being much further forward (the existing design keeps it basically centred). You'd need something to balance it out, like a heavy tail, so you could keep balanced while standing rather than falling forwards.
    I was just thinking the spinal column being intact would make the whole process cheaper and easier in the long run, as it's the way the body currently routes impulses for muscle movement
    O Flora, of the moon, of the dream. O Little ones, O fleeting will of the ancients. Let the hunter be safe. Let them find comfort. And let this dream, their captor, Foretell a pleasant awakening