Page 1 of 12
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Vanilla wasn't hard, it was annoying

Leveld on elysium, two lvl 60s and have a 70 on tbc *server name*( just for reference to old world). The game is still a good game, but its not this glorified version of the game everyone makes it out to be.

Basically like having a second job, a major annoyance needing reagents for EVERYTHING and coordinating every single pull.

Like ive always said, Theres no real daunting mechanics in vanilla, everything just hits harder. Do a mythic raid, and then tell me which one is "harder"

/discuss

Edit: Would like to add, To the people saying Vanilla isn't for me, I say yes it is and so is legion. I state in my OP the game was still good, and Im just trying to open the eyes of the bandwagon that no, it isn't perfect. And it is still a game from 2004. Those who haven't played, have some patience before passing judgement and calling it the best version of wow. Playing it when you were 13 years old doesn't count.

Yes, legion has more easy content, and this is a Strategy to introduce new players/ players who have jobs and busy lives. What irritates me is that i've seen people claim legion is solely for casuals with no social interaction, when they haven't done anything above lfr or any high tier mythic +. Or pvp for that matter.

The last thing I would like to say, think of the two versions of the game as separate games, because they really are.
    Last edited by darkvexen; 2017-11-17 at 10:00 PM.

Only thing that was better with classic was the community, guilds, (social responsibility), and world PvP.

Vanilla wasn't just about raids, things like questing and 5-mans generally took a lot more thought and mistakes were more punishing. Also raids weren't just about the mechanics but the social and logistical aspects of organising and gearing a team to clear 40-man content.

you didnt like it.. but alot of ppl liked that feeling when you need to spend your time doing shit in the game

10+ Year Old Account
    The open world was more dangerous for most classes.
    Does that make it harder is up for interpretation.
    Push it to the limit

#NoCollusion
    "The Special Counsel did not find that the Trump campaign, or anyone associated with it, conspired or coordinated with the Russian government in these efforts, despite multiple. offers from Russian-affiliated individuals to assist the Trump campaign."

Vanilla might be inconvenient, but the inconvenience placed value on other areas of the game besides raiding and some people enjoyed that. I will mainly play current WoW but just let the vanilla people be excited idk why just because you don't like the effort required you have to put other people down. People commenting all over about how shitty vanilla is but why does it matter to you? Most aren't offering any sort of quality criticisms, it's just a jumbled mess of "rose-tinted glasses" and "omg these people are delusional." Guess what? It's not for you.

Ok, don't play it then. With regards to difficulty you're not exactly wrong, but vanilla isn't for everyone.

It was not hard, but it was rewarding

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Now try this for Naxx 40 vs Naxx Wrath.
    That's a terrible comparison. One was the culmination of raids in vanilla, the other was deliberately and consciously tuned to be Wrath's intro raid (e.g. easy). Literally 2 completely different goals with 2 completely different kinds of players in mind.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    social and logistical aspects of organising and gearing a team to clear 40-man content.
    Slowly I get really bored by that standard copy paste phrase. I cannot agree with this. Sure, there were guilds which had hard times to manage 40 plebs back in the days, but those kind of guilds were and are struggling also with the 25 man-pool. It had and it has something to do what kind of people you are looking for and how you mix all the different types of gamers together. The "RL first" mantra combined with high raid goals never worked (despite the fact that "RL first" is a very flexible concept). Unreliability was and still is the killer.

Basically like having a second job, a a major annoyence needing reagents for EVERYTHING
    Levelled priest on Nost and it was cool to have a reagent requirement for casting major prayers, adds more resource management
    It would be also cool if they would have added some custom animations back in the days of vanilla and casting time for mass buffs so it would feel like you are actually praying for your buddies.

Like ive always said, Theres no real daunting mechanics in vanilla, everything just hits harder. Do a mythic raid, and then tell me which one is "harder"
    Vanilla is a classic RPG and it means that it's mostly a numbers/strategic game you have to grind hard and be prepared this is the difficulty of vanilla
    Legion on the other hand is an action game where you should train your spinal cord along with 19 other people until everybody reaches near perfect reaction

10+ Year Old Account
    Almost no one says it was harder, it was just more involved, it took time to do things, there was NO instant gratification, and many people like that... The world felt big, right now it feels tiny. The world felt dangerous, now it feels pathetic and weak.

5 mans were definitely more involved than they are now, requiring CC, pulling carefully, now it's just pull group->everyone spams AoE, even when doing mythic+ at +10 or +15, whatever the max is for reward chest ilvl at the given time.

Leveling was definitely harder, I enjoyed that, you had to, much like 5 mans, pull carefully, CC any additional adds you accidentally pulled so you wouldn't die. Now it's just, like 5 mans, pull whatever->spam AoEs or 1-2 hit kill everything.

Leveling should be an anti-power fantasy, the world should feel strong, not you, and you the player are fighting through it to prove your worth, to become a hero, you aren't the hero from the start, leveling should be your journey to try to get there. Anti-power fantasy gives things meaning, makes it feel like there is actually danger, like there are stakes, like you're really needed. If everything is a pushover, it all feels pointless, 99.99% of the time it feels like there is no danger because we're basically invincible murder machines running around with god mode toggled on.

Being able to kill same'ish level mobs completely naked shouldn't even be remotely possible, let alone this easy (so far that monk is up to lvl 68 and still kills stuff while naked that quickly, it's not fun).

my 2c
    Last edited by Schattenlied; 2017-11-17 at 07:55 AM.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

Quote Originally Posted by Millyraynge View Post
    Slowly I get really bored by that standard copy paste phrase. I cannot agree with this. Sure, there were guilds which had hard times to manage 40 plebs back in the days, but those kind of guilds were and are struggling also with the 25 man-pool. It had and it has something to do what kind of people you are looking for and how you mix all the different types of gamers together. The "RL first" mantra combined with high raid goals never worked (despite the fact that "RL first" is a very flexible concept). Unreliability was and still is the killer.
    i cant wait for you to realise how "amazing social community " experience it will be to runing all your guildies through attunements for years when most of them will be quiting game couple of years after starting playing

Deleted
    Don't like it - don't play it. It is THAT simple.

Funny that on private servers, or years back on Retail there were multiple guilds on each server doing full time raiding. Most of the raiding guilds had "being attuned" as a requirement so can't see a problem with that.

Its annoyingness is part of the magic. If you don't want to play it don't play it.

Cool, don't play it then.

I think wildstar showed us that being hard isn't what gamers want. It's about fun.

If it was 2004/5, you would say its hard. In 2017, its annoying. In both cases, you are right, its simply a matter of perspective. In 2005 none of us thought it would ever be possible to not carry reagents or soulshards. In 2017 we are arguing how the backpack should be unlocked cause bag space.

7+ Year Old Account
    I started playing WoW two weeks after TBC came out. My friends, who had multiple max leveled toons in Vanilla, wanted to power level me but i refused. They each threw me 10g and on my way I went. I wanted to "experience" the vanilla game as much as possible.

I level'd up to 60 in the old world thoroughly enjoying the journey. At 60 I headed to Hellfire Peninsula. I was shocked, seriously, at how much more powerful my warlock became with in the first couple quests. Further, I was shocked at how quickly I blew through the 60s.

For me, I am most definitely looking forward to the slower pace that was experienced in Vanilla.

Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post
    i cant wait for you to realise how "amazing social community " experience it will be to runing all your guildies through attunements for years when most of them will be quiting game couple of years after starting playing
    I used to do onyxia and mc attunements all the time, I'm fairly sure I got to the point where I would do them without a healer, the mc attunement was relatively easy if you swam the lava.