Page 1 of 16
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Thumbs up Makeup removal app causes controversy

A new app claims it will digitally remove makeup from a woman’s face, revealing what they would look like without it.

MakeApp’s marquee feature enables you to “add or remove makeup from any face” and can work “its magic” on photos and videos using AI.

The app has polarised opinions online, with many users claiming that the filter made them look worse than they normally would without makeup.

It is free to use for the first five photos and charges $0.99 (75p) for further use.

However, upon testing it, some women have noticed a crucial flaw in the app’s technology.

Rather than simply showing a face without makeup, MakeApp generates a pseudo-barefaced look that actually adds imperfections that weren't necessarily there in the first place.

Where most beauty apps will offer users a range of image-enhancing filters that are designed to make you look better, MakeApp does the exact opposite by imposing redness and dullness.

Rather than making women look natural, it just makes them look haggard and sallow.

Vexed users have taken to Twitter to voice their concerns that the app will exacerbate insecurities and low self-esteem.

"#MakeApp is a plot to make men think all women are ugly," wrote one person.

"So there’s an app called MakeApp that removes the makeup in pictures so people can 'see what you really look like' and ofc its a fail," added another.

Some explained that they simply didn't understand why a man or woman would want to digitally remove a woman's makeup.

"Men who have actual relationships with women usually know this because they see us without makeup and even naked sometimes," wrote one Tweeter.

Founder Ashot Gabrelyanov has fervently defended claims that his app was intended to shame women.

"We built MakeApp as an experiment and released it into the wild a few months ago and unfortunately the media coverage solely focused on the makeup removal function of the app and characterized it as a bunch of 'tech bros' trying to hurt women, which is just so far from the truth," he told BuzzFeed.
    http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...-a8055866.html

How do you feel about this?
    Given the number of photo editing apps out there it seems logical that there would be one which shows people for who they are.

At the end of the day it's best not to even wear makeup and be your natural self.

What bugs me about this whole "controversy" is if you wanted to show the app to be bad why not do a side by side with No MakeUp, With MakeUp and App Removed MakeUp.

I feel indifferent, controversy over an app like this is unproductive and petty.

Can’t believe this is just being posted here now. The shitstorm this app has started is epic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gohzerlock View Post
    I feel indifferent, controversy over an app like this is unproductive and petty.
    I'm going to have to go with this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Eww. Normie problems.

10+ Year Old Account
    Eh, ShoeOnHead said it best the other day and I agree with her:

As usual, a bunch of super sensitive and ignorant people overreact to nothing.
    Tikki tikki tembo, Usagi no Yojimbo, chari bari ruchi pip peri pembo!

10+ Year Old Account
    Nothing worse than having your mask removed.
    You're getting exactly what you deserve.

Deleted
    I tried this app on a friend and it added zits where she had none.

10+ Year Old Account
    The world is getting more and more retarded every day, I would like to have a time machine and go back to the 80s or 90s.

15+ Year Old Account
    Welcome to the life of MEN, what we show is what we got, not gon hide it.
    PROUD TRUMP SUPPORTER, #2024Trump #MAGA
    PROUD TRUMP CAMPAIGN SUPPORTER #SaveEuropeWithTrump
    PROUD SUPPORTER OF THE WALL
    BLUE LIVES MATTER
    NO TO ALL GUNCONTROL OR BACKGROUND CHECKS IN EUROPE
    /s

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Frolk View Post
    Welcome to the life of MEN, what we show is what we got, not gon hide it.
    The sock bulge in your pants speaks another language!

I don't think it works. It makes me look more pale than I am, make my eyes look smaller than they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortan Rich View Post
    That’s part of what makes it so funny. It clearly exaggerated how bad it makes people look but people are still losing their minds over it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Immortan Rich View Post
    Yeah from what I've seen it assumes everyone has poor skin under their makeup.

Funniest thing is seeing posts of people talking about seeing a woman's bare face "without her consent" as if you are visually raping her. The app is silly and generally makes people look a bit worse than really they would, but the batshit conspiracies about the abusive woman hatred that spawned it (and the comparisons to seeing a man's dick against his will) are a sad, sad goldmine.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ohiostate124 View Post
    That’s part of what makes it so funny. It clearly exaggerated how bad it makes people look but people are still losing their minds over it.
    Right? People are acting like it actually somehow x-rays your vision through the makeup instead of just putting a filter over your face where it guesses you have makeup...
    give up dat booty
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendra View Post
    <3
    For the matriarchy.

Looking at the thumbnail for that video up there, there's a kind of... uncanny valley feeling to the app photo. I dunno, think maybe the program is just a little too aggressive in places. That just means it needs some tweaks is all.

Then again, it's a smartphone app, not a supercomputer. Whaddaya gonna do?

I wish there was an app to make me look attractive instead

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkthugal View Post
    Looking at the thumbnail for that video up there, there's a kind of... uncanny valley feeling to the app photo. I dunno, think maybe the program is just a little too aggressive in places. That just means it needs some tweaks is all.

Then again, it's a smartphone app, not a supercomputer. Whaddaya gonna do?
    If you don't have any makeup on when you use it it strips away your actual natural lip and skin colour and roughs up your skin a bit hahah. Also lightens/shrinks your eyelashes. That's what I've noticed in the no makeup pictures that have been run through it. Best was the one of the creator, who someone spitefully ran through it "to see how he likes it!!" and he barely looks different besides being a bit dulled out, and clearly would not be upset by their actions.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Varitok View Post
    I wish there was an app to make me look attractive instead
    Good news! Almost all those snapchat filters are designed to make people look more attractive!
    give up dat booty
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendra View Post
    <3
    For the matriarchy.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Considering it is legitimately a neural network app being used to try and save young girls from Sex trafficking. It find it weird how retarded "Feminists" are being about it.

It does seem to be a bit of an overreaction considering the years of articles from People(or other magazines) would show random celebrity without her makeup.