Page 1 of 10
... LastLast
    Deleted

Brexit 'bombshell' for UK's European Capital of Culture 2023 plans

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-42097692

The European Commission has cancelled the UK's turn to host the European Capital of Culture after Brexit, disappointing the bidding cities.

Five places have already bid to hold the title in 2023 - Dundee, Nottingham, Leeds, Milton Keynes and Belfast/Derry.

But the commission has said the UK will no longer be eligible to have a host city after it leaves the EU in 2019.

The Creative Industries Federation said it was "gutted", while arts minister John Glen called it a "crazy decision".

Plans for the UK to host a Capital of Culture in 2023 were announced in 2014 - before the EU referendum.

In December 2016, the UK government said the competition would "run as normal", but did warn bidders that it "may be subject to" the Brexit negotiations.

Liverpool was the last British city to be a European Capital of Culture, in 2008, following Glasgow in 1990.

The title of European Capital of Culture rotates around eligible countries.

Cities from non-EU countries have held the title before - but if a country isn't in the EU, it must be a candidate to join or must be in the European Free Trade Association or European Economic Area.

Government 'deeply disappointed'

A spokeswoman for the Department for Culture, Media and Sport said the government was in "urgent discussions" with the commission about the decision.

"We disagree with the European Commission's stance and are deeply disappointed that it has waited until after UK cities have submitted their final bids before communicating this new position to us," a statement said.

"The prime minister has been clear that while we are leaving the EU, we are not leaving Europe and this has been welcomed by EU leaders."

The statement said the government wants the UK to continue "working with our friends in Europe", including in cultural programmes, and will work with the bidders to "help them realise their cultural ambitions".

#Brexitfallout

The Creative Industries Federation, which represents the arts sector, said: "We are gutted to learn that the UK will not be allowed to host the European Capital of Culture as planned in 2023 after Brexit.

"This is despite the fact that cities in Europe that are outside the European Union have participated in the scheme historically."

It added that people were "working feverishly behind the scenes to reverse this decision".
    More in link what do you think

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Should have told people earlier. Don’t care much myself, silly events.

Good.

People should be punished more and feel the pinch when they vote out of ignorance.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by PosPosPos View Post
    Good.

People should be punished more and feel the pinch when they vote out of ignorance.
    Britain left EU not Europe

10+ Year Old Account
    Given we spend our time slagging off the EU and a lot of its constituent governments I don't think it comes as that great a surprise they're not to keen on us also hosting Capital of Culture. It's a huge boon to whatever city gets it (Liverpool saw huge investment as a result).

Deleted
    It does come across as petty considering the decision was made in 2014 for the UK to host, not to mention very shady they only say now it won't happen despite Brexit happening over a year ago

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    It seems the Europe feels differently about that, the EU knows it can screw the UK by just dragging it's feet with the negotiations and unlike the UK they are in no hurry.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    It seems the Europe feels differently about that, the EU knows it can screw the UK by just dragging it's feet with the negotiations and unlike the UK they are in no hurry.
    Well regarding this example I don't really have a horse in the race... but it does seem silly to fuel anti-EU sentiment further with this especially considering the amount of money the cities already spent. Should've announced this in 2016

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    I didn't know the EU = Europe..... it's almost like its a country or something and not just some association.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

Well regarding this example I don't really have a horse in the race... but it does seem silly to fuel anti-EU sentiment further with this especially considering the amount of money the cities already spent. Should've announced this in 2016
    I agree but there is a possibility that they were waiting to see how brexit would play out and waited until the last minute.

And the EU continues to bully anyone who doesn't toe the decisions of Germany, aka the European Commission. News at 11.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    I agree but there is a possibility that they were waiting to see how brexit would play out and waited until the last minute.
    I don't know it seems very weak... We have known BREXIT will happen for a long time now. I can't help feel the decision is more out of malice than much else at this point

Britain should be punished as much as possible. They shouldn't have left, and you cannot have all the benefits without their drawbacks of something. You are either in or not. I hope that when the trade agreements will be renegotiated, the EU will stand strict versus Britain. We cannot allow for a member that decided to simply pick up their stuff and leave to have any kind of good treatment by us.

Britain is out, and that means out. No bonuses, no special trade agreements, nothing that would be given to a country that stays in the Union. The EU could or even should be vengeful to a country like Britain that simply opted to move out of the EU, just because.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Well View Post
    Britain should be punished as much as possible. They shouldn't have left, and you cannot have all the benefits without their drawbacks of something. You are either in or not. I hope that when the trade agreements will be renegotiated, the EU will stand strict versus Britain. We cannot allow for a member that decided to simply pick up their stuff and leave to have any kind of good treatment by us.

Britain is out, and that means out. No bonuses, no special trade agreements, nothing that would be given to a country that stays in the Union. The EU could or even should be vengeful to a country like Britain simply opted to move out of the EU, just because.
    How very democratic

How very democratic
    Indeed it is. Britain decided to betray all European and World history. You elected democratically to opt out. The EU will democratically elect to punish you, however it democratically decides to.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah keep telling yourself that. You didn't leave Europe, you left the EU (and are dragging me out alongside you).

Sounds like a nice lie you told yourself to disguise the truth.

You've spat in the face of all your friends, left the club and still want them to give you nice things because you're stuck on the porch of the clubhouse.

Reality sucks doesn't it?

Deleted
    It's the European Capital of Culture (which, aside the fact that none of those towns can be classified as cultured in any significant way...) which is an EU institutional project, hence it would make no sense if a third country like the UK would have hosted it. It's like saying Mogadishu should be a contender.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Obelisk Kai View Post
    Yeah keep telling yourself that. You didn't leave Europe, you left the EU (and are dragging me out alongside you).

Sounds like a nice lie you told yourself to disguise the truth.

You've spat in the face of all your friends, left the club and still want them to give you nice things because you're stuck on the porch of the clubhouse.

Reality sucks doesn't it?
    I didn't vote Leave... so perhaps ease the bitterness

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Well View Post
    The EU could or even should be vengeful to a country like Britain that simply opted to move out of the EU, just because.
    There is no need to be vengeful, by 2020 the UK will have essentially (relatively) sank its own economy. Give it 10 years and they will be back (with the Euro, Schengen, the EU Army, fiscal integration and no opt-outs or veto power this time).

10+ Year Old Account
    I didn't vote Leave... so perhaps ease the bitterness
    Given the threat Brexit poses to my country I am extremely bitter over the scenario. I want the UK to suffer for it. If the UK suffers enough we might be able to swing a vote on reunification and leave this tory run nuthouse.

But I apologise for any bitterness spewed in your personal direction.