Poll: What your take on this statement?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

"Personal Loot System favors the ones who needs items the most"

Hey all, im curious on what u all think about how looting has been in Legion

Well Blizzard has obv stated that its all about RNG but im intersted in if anyone have a feeling that there is something else to it

Here is some story from me

I have 8 chars at level 110

I have done plently of dungs, LFR, Normal, Heroic runs and I would def say that the loot system has favored those who cant keep up on DPS/HPS Numbers compared to the rest, Specially in LFR

Yes im gonna admit, I have afked thru a lot of LFRs and the ones I have afked thru is the ones where I have gotten the most loot(Basicly just auto attack the boss)
    I started to notice this a few months ago and therefore kept testing it
    In a few of the runs I have even managed to get loot on every single boss
    I have never even been close to this amount of loot when Ive acctualy played my character in LFR

In Dungeons, Normal and Heroic its not so easy to afk and get away with it so I havent managed so test this out properly
    Playing legion tho there has been so incredibly many moments where you start to notice, often 1 or 2 players, that are just dieing everywhere and when they go and loot the boss of course there is a piece of loot item waiting for them

This has happened so many times that among the friends I play with it has even started to become a joke, like "Inb4 that guy will proc "Item name" Titanforge" etc and boom, it happens

I havent heard anyone post anything about it so...
    What do you think? The worse you play the higher chance to get loot with personal? Whats your experience from this in Legion?

Deleted
    Also noticed this long time ago but only in lfr. As dps you need to be some numbers above tank, spam 1 skill and be alive whole fight to have almost guaranted loot. My firend used to afkauto till 30% then spam execute, he always end lfr with 2+ items. So in shorts you must act like you are "bad", but being cameo almost always end with no loot for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoonman View Post

Well Blizzard has obv stated that its all about RNG but im intersted in if anyone have a feeling that there is something else to it

I have done plently of dungs, LFR, Normal, Heroic runs and I would def say that the loot system has favored those who cant keep up on DPS/HPS Numbers compared to the rest, Specially in LFR

Yes im gonna admit, I have afked thru a lot of LFRs and the ones I have afked thru is the ones where I have gotten the most loot(Basicly just auto attack the boss)
    I have never even been close to this amount of loot when Ive acctualy played my character in LFR

In Dungeons, Normal and Heroic its not so easy to afk and get away with it so I havent managed so test this out properly
    Playing legion tho there has been so incredibly many moments where you start to notice, often 1 or 2 players, that are just dieing everywhere and when they go and loot the boss of course there is a piece of loot item waiting for them

This has happened so many times that among the friends I play with it has even started to become a joke, like "Inb4 that guy will proc "Item name" Titanforge" etc and boom, it happens

What do you think? The worse you play the higher chance to get loot with personal? Whats your experience from this in Legion?
    please delete this thread before it becomes viral and blizzard is forced to remove it. why you spread such info?

10+ Year Old Account
    I am sorry but I have to disagree, I think this is close to sounding like some tinfoil theory. I don't get the loot I need on undergeared characters anyways, and I don't get much loot on my raid geared characters either - all is random. I keep getting useless legendaries on the main and none on the ones who needs the items the most.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

OK, so where is your study?

How many runs did you do?

Did you document each run?

Did you do control runs on another character?

Is there a google-spreadsheet you can link?

Basically you are doing confirmation bias on RNG.

I used to do the same thing, I remember spending over an hour trying to farm "perfect duskbat livers" or some other shitty maguffin and because it took so long I started justifying how the kills where the item dropped were different from the kills where it did not.

15+ Year Old Account

Just like theorycrafting feelings don't make it true. People doing top DPS in dungeons earn just as much loot as those who afk or die during the fight. You need to understand that random will always be random.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Essentia@Cho'gall of Inebriated Raiding.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ssentia/simple
    http://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/us/Tharkkun-1222

Deleted
    Well if their RNG is somehow coded properly, then it's impartial and the best method to distribute loot. Personal loot also removes the influence of group composition to some regard - if you have much competition for some pieces, you can be sure that your upgrade will be yours. And if people are nice, they can even trade you things which are not an upgrade for them. In some cases, you even get bonus rolls. And if you want to gear up a guild mate, then you of course can make a premade group with as many people sharing the armour class type, so they can funnel their drops to that character. PL does not interfer with this approach. You can just trade items to people who would benefit the most (like, getting the biggest upgrade from that item). But in random groups, it helps that people don't roll on anything for their offspecs, while people who want to gear up their mainspecs lose the roll. Happened very often to me, this is not fun.

Honestly, personal loot is one of the best things which they have implemented into the game regarding looting, together with AoE loot.
    Last edited by mmoceb1073a651; 2017-11-24 at 08:37 AM.

I think there may be something in this - but again could be pure luck.

On my Blood DK every relinquished token / loot drop seemed to TF, from relics in weapons to tiered gloves (940) whereas this luck has never happened on my other characters, 1 out of 5 relinquished items I get on my Ret Pally main will upgrade/TF.

My theory is this, in the same way when you queue for LFR as a healer or a tank you sometimes get the bonus bag of gold etc because they need that specific role, the same happens when looting items / open tokens, if there is a shortage of tanks there is a greater chance for items to proc a TF.

I tested this theory on my Paladin and switched to Prot - opened a relinquished relic and it TF'd to 935.

As I say it may be luck, but I am swaying more to the fact if there is a need for tanks/healers etc you have a greater chance of a TF.

You guys are silly. Rng can do strange things but its still rng.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    You guys are silly. Rng can do strange things but its still rng.
    Wouldn't say silly - insane maybe.

Maybe it is RNG but you can understand why people may question things when they see what they perceive to be a certain pattern forming - I'm not moaning or complaining, love the game and wouldn't change it.

Just an old mans observation nothing more

Deleted
    Will try this. Either RNG is RNG or it helped me to be lucky while it's still RNG.

RNG is RNG, 8 Chars is nowhere near enough to draw such a conclusion, you were just lucky in the cases you stated, in before everyone reading this post afks and becomes a viral thing in wow and no LFR groups will be able to kill any bosses.

Legion? This has been happening since MoP.

We had this joke since TBC, how the worst player of our "Friend group" would always get the mounts/loot first and then with LFR we did the same until we noticed that the worse friends literally got LFR loot way more than someone that tryharded.

We tended to joke around at first, but we started doing the same, if we wanted loot on a newly dinged character we "acted bad" and voila, loot.

Same logic works for returning players after a long period of time, voila, rare mount from old raid!

Yeah, anecdotal evidence but after so many years it simply works.

So how does this play out when I'm usually top DPS in my LFRs that I do, yet I walk out with 2 pieces of loot on average? Or the dungeons I run where I usually walk out with at least 1 piece of loot every dungeon? How is it that my newly 110s that are near bottom of charts at first at getting just as much loot and Titanforging literally just as often?

I'm guessing there isn't much evidence to actually support the theory of "I'm bad so I get loot." My experience is the same, whether I'm doing good dps or not on my characters, and it's been the same since the day Personal Loot was introduced. Considering the massive amount of people I've played this game with who's had the same experience, I don't see the reason for me to build my own spreadsheets and show stats and whatnot. You, coming out and trying to say it's something else, is what would need some stats to prove it. I'll just tell you now, though, that you're probably going to be wrong. Simply based on the massive (and I mean massive) number of items I've received across my characters alone, not to mention my guildmates.

In my opinion, it's literally all luck. It's RNG. RNG is RNG and that's simply all it is. When I've quit the game and come back, I was definitely not one of these lucky people who got anything after returning. Mounts don't drop. Good loot doesn't drop. It's not different for me. I'd like to think Blizzard didn't hardcode my specific account into bad luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Shelly View Post
    OK, so where is your study?

How many runs did you do?

Did you document each run?

Did you do control runs on another character?

Is there a google-spreadsheet you can link?

Basically you are doing confirmation bias on RNG.

I used to do the same thing, I remember spending over an hour trying to farm "perfect duskbat livers" or some other shitty maguffin and because it took so long I started justifying how the kills where the item dropped were different from the kills where it did not.
    I think you are missing the point, Ive stated that the reason posted this only looking for what players have experienced

I have noticed something and im wondering if others have noticed it aswell, thats all I want from this thread

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zentail View Post
    So how does this play out when I'm usually top DPS in my LFRs that I do, yet I walk out with 2 pieces of loot on average? Or the dungeons I run where I usually walk out with at least 1 piece of loot every dungeon? How is it that my newly 110s that are near bottom of charts at first at getting just as much loot and Titanforging literally just as often?
    Its all about how well you play relatively to the gear you wear

I wouldn't be surprised if they got something like this up for LFR difficulty.

Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    Legion? This has been happening since MoP.

We had this joke since TBC, how the worst player of our "Friend group" would always get the mounts/loot first and then with LFR we did the same until we noticed that the worse friends literally got LFR loot way more than someone that tryharded.

We tended to joke around at first, but we started doing the same, if we wanted loot on a newly dinged character we "acted bad" and voila, loot.

Same logic works for returning players after a long period of time, voila, rare mount from old raid!

Yeah, anecdotal evidence but after so many years it simply works.
    This, if true, is just as likely an artifact of a shitty RNG function, as it is of being by design. Really there are people out there who actually do stats analysis not based on their "feelings" about what happens with a short run sample of 8 characters and this would be known and also fairly easily demonstrated if you actually ran it with solid data collection over a reasonably large number of trials.

Shitty RNG isn't RNG but there's nothing you can about predicting it.

Quote Originally Posted by hyphnos View Post
    This, if true, is just as likely an artifact of a shitty RNG function, as it is of being by design. Really there are people out there who actually do stats analysis not based on their "feelings" about what happens with a short run sample of 8 characters and this would be known and also fairly easily demonstrated if you actually ran it with solid data collection over a reasonably large number of trials.

Shitty RNG isn't RNG but there's nothing you can about predicting it.
    As i said, anecdotal evidence and mostly a joke between friends but it doesnt mean we dont half-believe it also.

What i mean by that is, i am Greek, Internet Stations/Net cafes in Greece are a thing since 2000, and they are still overly populated/full (They are 24/7) cause they are a cultural thing by now.

As i frequented them younger and occasionally now to meet friends as a meeting spot, or to raid from there (Much more fun when half your raid is in LAN distance) etc etc this was noticed over the years as a joke, i am easily talking about the usual 3-6 close friends and 30 different familiars/"Friends" that i played/raided with over the years, and a good another 100 that i "know"/talk that played WoW in the net cafes of the area over the years.

Returning players to the game, always seemed to have amazing luck with extra rare loot.

The bad players always seem to have that amazing RNG on their side with BiS trinkets and BiS weapons.

So, occasionally we do the same, we slack on LFR with the newly dinged character, and voila, loot!

Its literally a joke between the few close friends that we occasionally said around, i think it started in WOTLK with the Green Dragon egg from Sholazar, the literally worst player out of the 20 people frequenting the net cafe daily at that period (10 of my raiders including myself and 10 of those "familiars" i talked about)followed by the gf of the net cafe owner that was horrendous at the game getting it also for literally the first 6 months no one else saw it.
    Last edited by potis; 2017-11-24 at 11:09 PM.

For Azeroth!
    15+ Year Old Account
    I expect most if not all 5 mans become personal loot in 7.3.5, because of scaling.

Since 7.3 already changed like half the Classic dungeons (Eastern Kingdoms), and I personally like it, 100% guaranteed to get an item when solo and always something you can use for your current spec (targeting transmog is much easier too). half the dungeons aren't changed yet in classic content but I assume the Kalimdor dungeons will follow in 7.3.5 and it's the first time I will test on PTR (Dire maul/Zul farrak/Ragefire etc)

In a group you can already do shadowfang keep and such and while you cannot trade loot, bosses can drop like 3 items instead of the random 1 you roll for.

The only downside (for some farmers) is that Warrior or whatever won't see bows/guns/daggers and general agility items anymore, but pretty much all lowbie plate/shields are str/int now so warrior and pala got more useful loot.

I'd take targeting loot over getting useless drops anyday. Both when farming for transmog or when queueing random dungeons.

The only time I hate it is like WoD which has like 20 items on 1 boss even with personal loot, would have been 100 items without however.

And I am not talking about raids yet but I wish there was a setting for old raids where it's personal loot but still drops multiple items per boss (weekly lockout already makes it annoying).

Places like MC and BWL with class-specific stuff you can't even learn would be a lot easier to farm, and yes I know they are old old now but still, it would mean they can keep the "transmog only what you can equip" tech in place.

Like they add pets to old raids, clearly incentive for high level to go back, why not add a Transmog-loot mode, even if it hasn't any stats (to prevent abuse for ppl who stop xp or whatever silly reasons).
    Last edited by Teri; 2017-11-24 at 11:18 PM.

Deleted
    For the RNG is RNG..I have not seen any older dungeon in lfg since they split Kara into 2...none of my characters got anything apart from the 3 Karazhan, CoS (this one is extremely common, 5-6 out of 10), Arcway, CoEN, SotT....
    Another good example for the RNG was on raid, when 8 of us rolled with bonus roll, 6 got drop and all the 6 was the same...a back...4 different classes...
    However you can check the so called RNG as well..go to a dungeon with item reward WQ, do it and check how many ppl shall receive the same item as normal bossdrop....surprise...