Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilfire View Post
    They are animals whose behavior, like any other breed of animal, is dependent on a number of factors, the largest by far being how the owner raises and treats them.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

Quote Originally Posted by HeatherRae View Post

Rottweilers and German Shepherds were demonized in the 80s and 90s as "attack dogs" and "vicious." The truth is, they're not. They were being badly bred and badly treated by people out to make a buck, with owners who wanted to look "thug." Now that fate has been handed over to Pit Bulls, who aren't vicious by nature either but, again, are being poorly bred and poorly treated by people looking to make a buck, with owners who want to look like "thugs" and be "badass." It's the same shit, different breed.
    I agree the owner is the problem not the breed. I just have doubts over the breed also.

Im aware for every pit bull tearing a cat in half you can show me a picture of one acting cute with kids stamping all over it and it wouldnt hurt a fly.

Dogs are like people after all in terms of everyone is different. We don't judge people on race (Well intelligent people dont)

I just have problems with the amount of damage a pit bull can do. Theres a reason they are the number one pick for dog fighting rings and are stolen from loving homes and made to fight to death and its not because they are cute

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Dracula View Post
    Bulldogs =/= Pit Bull. Pit Bulls are vicious by Nature. And just stop before you start the "Oh But I own a Pit Bull" or "Oh my Friend owns a PitBull and they let it sleep with their kids" etc etc anecdotal shit. Sure there are outliers, but laws involving Animals are put in place for good reason.
    You are an idiot.

It IS the owner and trainer that is the problem. The dogs are as gentle as can be if trained and raised correctly.

I have been around probably 100 pitbulls in my life and literally EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM was loving and sweet. The closest thing to mauling was them being excited and climbing on top of you to lick your face.

So yeah, let me guess, you'll come up with some ridiculousness that "Well, you must seek out the tiny portion of the population that isn't vicious"?

I am sure we can find instances of Golden Retrievers and other "gentle" dogs attacking an animal or person. You know why? Because if a dog is raised to be aggressive, it will be aggressive. If it is trained properly, any dog can be docile and loving.

Quote Originally Posted by woozie21 View Post
    Id rather put down the owner and get the dogs help.
    Standard operating procedure in both the States and the UK is the dog(s) have to be put down. You can disagree with that policy, but it's understandable and it's the law. If the dog is willing to attack viciously enough to cause serious bodily harm without provocation, then it's logically considered a danger to the public.

Specific breeds, including pit bulls, are known to potentially kill other dogs and toddlers, which is why they are selectively banned in certain states, municipalities, and some countries. And yes, there are numerous instances of pit bulls having killed toddlers. When it happens, the animals are promptly destroyed and usually the owner faces either second-degree murder or manslaughter charges.

EDIT: Please note: this it *not* me saying that all pit bulls attack other dogs or toddlers. I have met my share kind and caring pit bulls in my life. I am only saying that it's been known to happen, which is why it's a breed that's under constant debate and scrutiny.

I'm just stating what the law and precedents are. It is true that the owner bears huge responsibility in the matter, but I think too many dog lovers out there try to rationalize away protecting the animals that just attacked or killed another creature. And in this instance, the breed is specifically banned in the UK, so there is no legal or ethical leg to stand on here. The owner knew full well they shouldn't have had them in the first place.
    Last edited by Frostea23; 2017-11-24 at 01:27 AM.
    Waste not, want not.

Quote Originally Posted by Fleugen View Post
    Fixed that for you. Should we just ban dogs? After all, they can just breed another big dog, and then we'd have more problems.

If we have people so willing to skirt around the law just to start dog fighting rings like you say, why would they have any problem breeding a new kind of dog once Pit bulls are banned?
    oh god. chihuahua / Pomeranian hybrids in coming. Lock up your kids people. The streets will never be safe again.

Please. pit bulls are clearly more aggressive/stronger than most breeds.

Unless you are suggesting these low lifes are going to start importing Alaska wolves and breeding them for a new breed of dog fighters even stronger and faster, I'll wait and see.

I suggest making laws more defined and harsher for mistreatment of animals. And they should be considered a lethal weapon so any attack on people is considered assault with a deadly weapon and the owner can enjoy a lengthy prison sentence.

pitbulls are the nword of the dog world

Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    Cool so when you want to run a dog fighting ring just get your mate with the clean history check to adopt the dog

- - - Updated - - -

yes. however they are more unlikely and unable too.
    they're more unlikely to do it, but it isn't because of their breed it is because of their training is my only point.

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    they're more unlikely to do it, but it isn't because of their breed it is because of their training is my only point.
    How do you suggest we get rid of these owners who have improper training methods

10+ Year Old Account
    How do you suggest we get rid of these owners who have improper training methods
    Well, not to put too fine a point on it, you can't. People who train dogs to be aggressive will always exist, all you can do is arrest them for animal cruelty when you find them. Banning breeds isn't the solution, as they'll just move on to another bigger, meaner breed and breed them for size and strength.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

You really can't...

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    You really can't...
    Require license provided by authorities after successful completion of their training program, require it to be renewed every year so they have to come back and have their dogs checked. If they can't pass then strip them of license and take their dogs.

10+ Year Old Account
    I agree the owner is the problem not the breed. I just have doubts over the breed also.

Im aware for every pit bull tearing a cat in half you can show me a picture of one acting cute with kids stamping all over it and it wouldnt hurt a fly.

Dogs are like people after all in terms of everyone is different. We don't judge people on race (Well intelligent people dont)
    It's not a question of whether or not the dog "would hurt a fly." Pit bulls, like German Shepherds, like Rottweilers - like any dog with protective instincts and a working drive - must be handled by people who know what they're doing. Even my dog - who I believe wouldn't hurt a cat, he loves cats - I would be watching very closely if he was interacting with a new/unfamiliar cat or other animal, ready to step in if I see any signs of aggression on his part.

I just have problems with the amount of damage a pit bull can do. Theres a reason they are the number one pick for dog fighting rings and are stolen from loving homes and made to fight to death and its not because they are cute
    Well they were bred for dog fighting. Pit Bulls have documented animal aggression. It's people aggression that's an entirely new thing - they were never bred to be aggressive towards people, because people would have to get into the rings with them and break them up. People aggressive dogs used to be put down immediately.
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama

I dont have much experience with these dogs, the ones I have met was friendly and nice.

That said, my experience is that every breed of dogs are different. yes, you can have good dogs that behave and do tricks and all that. But with some breeds its harder/easier.

It all comes down to who the owner of the dog is. Getting a dog is a huge responsibility and should not be taken lightly.

A bullet for every pitbull

A double tap for every owner

Quote Originally Posted by Halyon View Post
    Scaremongering. ANY dog can be agressive. Anecdotal evidence won't help anyone.

I'd kick any attacking dog in the face if it came after me or my dog, I won't discriminate, fearing an attack from x breed doesn't matter.
    What?

Can't you seriously spot the difference between a 70 kg dog attacking someone or someone's pet and a 3 kg poodle doing the same?

The point is not even temperament, but their potential.

Quote Originally Posted by bewbew View Post
    What?

Can't you seriously spot the difference between a 70 kg dog attacking someone or someone's pet and a 3 kg poodle doing the same?

So you want to ban all big dogs and only allow toy sized dogs? What is your angle here?

Quote Originally Posted by Katie N View Post
    Require license provided by authorities after successful completion of their training program, require it to be renewed every year so they have to come back and have their dogs checked. If they can't pass then strip them of license and take their dogs.
    I'm totally all for this. But then again, I also think people should have a license to have children, too.

Unfortunately I think that all that would happen would be that people would keep unreported, illegal dogs hidden from public view and therefore would make them even more dangerous due to poor socialization if they were to get loose.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    I'm totally all for this. But then again, I also think people should have a license to have children, too.

Unfortunately I think that all that would happen would be that people would keep unreported, illegal dogs hidden from public view and therefore would make them even more dangerous due to poor socialization if they were to get loose.
    Honestly? They already do this.
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama

Quote Originally Posted by bewbew View Post
    What?

No, potential is never a good argument, it only slippery slopes. All dogs have the potential to cause harm. Just because a dog is small and not outright deadly to other people doesn't excuse it trying....if it came to that.

Both are a problem. There is a reason why government control groups that classify and coordinate dog breeds consider some of these breeds to be a danger to children and other animals. Some dogs are like a loaded gun. It might or might not go off. You just never know. And if you add a bad owner, chances of shit hitting a fan grow exponentially.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleugen View Post
    Fixed that for you. Should we just ban dogs? After all, they can just breed another big dog, and then we'd have more problems.
    If we have people so willing to skirt around the law just to start dog fighting rings like you say, why would they have any problem breeding a new kind of dog once Pit bulls are banned?
    Because breeding a dog is an extremely long and tedious process. You can not just cross breed a pair and expect something good from it. Also, all breeds have to be licensed. If you are found with a large dog of an unknown origin, likely you will not be able to keep it. There is an official allowed breeds list. If it is absent there - it is basically a zoo animal on a leash (or without one). Also, most cross breeds tend to be on the smaller side, so that complicates things for a would be breeder.