onboard graphics has disabled my graphics card

hi all,

as the title suggests i enabled my motherboard graphic adapter so i could dual screen. however after i enabled the setting in the bios it seemed to have disabled my nvidia graphics card i opened up my pc to check the graphics card and the fans arent moving. so i rebooted my pc to get back into the bios but its now displaying anything through my motherboard graphics adapter.

• there is a small reset switch on my motherboard for the bios settings so i pushed it to revert back to default but graphics card still isnt displaying anything.
    • the card is being detected through my device manager, ive tried uninstalling the card then scaning for new hardware etc but still not displaying anything.

anyone know how to fix it.

Go into the bios, disable the onboard graphics, save changed and turn of the pc, unplug the monitor from the onboard graphics and plug into the graphics card.

You don't need the onboard graphics to run 2 monitors, just plug them both into the graphics card.

Quote Originally Posted by Denpepe View Post
    Go into the bios, disable the onboard graphics, save changed and turn of the pc, unplug the monitor from the onboard graphics and plug into the graphics card.

You don't need the onboard graphics to run 2 monitors, just plug them both into the graphics card.
    i went into the bios and set everything to default my graphics card settings are set to auto so that when a pci-e card is detected it becomes the primary, but it still doesnt display anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Isoz View Post
    i went into the bios and set everything to default my graphics card settings are set to auto so that when a pci-e card is detected it becomes the primary, but it still doesnt display anything.
    Is your monitor plugged into the GPU and not the motherboard?

15+ Year Old Account
    Default graphics is the on-board graphics. Check your manual for the correct entry. Plus as Denpepe had stated, make sure the monitor cables are plugged into the graphics card, not the on-board ports.

Quote Originally Posted by Fooliecoolie View Post
    Default graphics is the on-board graphics. Check your manual for the correct entry. Plus as Denpepe had stated, make sure the monitor cables are plugged into the graphics card, not the on-board ports.
    In order for me to get into bios i had to take my graphics card out of the computer, now when i try set my bios to force the primary display as pcie it doesn't save. And it won't load up to desktop when the card is in

Quote Originally Posted by Soisoisoi View Post
    Is your monitor plugged into the GPU and not the motherboard?
    Yep

Edit:
    after some pissing about in the bios i managed to get the computer to boot up while the graphics card was installed into the pc. the graphics card is being detected in the device manager page

but still wont display anything when connecting a hdmi to it
    Last edited by Isoz; 2017-11-29 at 10:41 PM. Reason: made progress

In order for me to get into bios i had to take my graphics card out of the computer, now when i try set my bios to force the primary display as pcie it doesn't save. And it won't load up to desktop when the card is in

Yep

Edit:
    after some pissing about in the bios i managed to get the computer to boot up while the graphics card was installed into the pc. the graphics card is being detected in the device manager page

but still wont display anything when connecting a hdmi to it
    You simply can not use both graphics cards at the same time. Device manager may see it there, but it can not use it because the onboard is in use. What you need to do is simple. Have your GPU in but the monitor plugged in to the onboard. Go in to BIOS this way and then turn off the onboard. Save and Exit and then move the monitor back to the GPU. You can plug two monitors in to your GPU at that point.

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    You simply can not use both graphics cards at the same time. Device manager may see it there, but it can not use it because the onboard is in use. What you need to do is simple. Have your GPU in but the monitor plugged in to the onboard. Go in to BIOS this way and then turn off the onboard. Save and Exit and then move the monitor back to the GPU. You can plug two monitors in to your GPU at that point.
    cant get to the bios while the graphics card is in, when i boot up while the monitor is connected the onboard graphics and the graphics card is installed the monitor doesnt turn on until its at the windows login page. is there another way to access the bios from the desktop?

cant get to the bios while the graphics card is in, when i boot up while the monitor is connected the onboard graphics and the graphics card is installed the monitor doesnt turn on until its at the windows login page. is there another way to access the bios from the desktop?
    Have you tried mashing the enter bios key, even if you can't see anything?

Quote Originally Posted by Soisoisoi View Post
    Have you tried mashing the enter bios key, even if you can't see anything?
    yes and i still couldnt see anything when using a hdmi, i plugged in a old monitor and connected it via a vga cable, i managed to get the display to come through my graphics card but still cant get a output using hdmi, ive tried a few hdmi cables and still nothing .

i think the hdmi port on the graphics card is bust

You need to connect the monitor to the graphics card not the onboard, you keep making the same mistake over and over, do things in the right order and it should work just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Denpepe View Post
    You need to connect the monitor to the graphics card not the onboard, you keep making the same mistake over and over, do things in the right order and it should work just fine.
    no i dont keep making the same mistake over and over, i know the difference betweeen plugging in the cable into the onboard graphics and connecting it to the graphics card...
    also i just said that i managed to connect the monitor to the graphics card. NOT the onboard graphics atm im using a vga connection in my graphics card, and i connected my main monitor to the graphics card with a HDMI and its still not displaying anything.

edit
    after testing the graphics card in another machine and contacting the nvidia tech support they have determined that the hdmi port on the card is dead. so guess ill get a new card
    Last edited by Isoz; 2017-11-30 at 04:40 PM.

edit
    after testing the graphics card in another machine and contacting the nvidia tech support they have determined that the hdmi port on the card is dead. so guess ill get a new card
    That was going to be my next suggestion since what I said to try was not working. If it works in the VGA port but not the HDMI with the on-board disabled, it has to be a faulty HDMI port, or at least faulty graphics card in some way.

Sorry for the frustration you went through. These things can be really annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    That was going to be my next suggestion since what I said to try was not working. If it works in the VGA port but not the HDMI with the on-board disabled, it has to be a faulty HDMI port, or at least faulty graphics card in some way.

Sorry for the frustration you went through. These things can be really annoying.
    you were on the right track ,with your help i was able to make progress. yea these things can be annoying haha :'(

thanks again for your help and patience