Poll: Would you like a currency above gold?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Velerios View Post
    Many people are complaining that there is more and more gold in the system and naturally every expansion needs to put out more money as damage-number increases. And while there was a stat-squish, that's actually not so easy with the currency-system, because every change there would

So rather than a gold-squish, why doesn't we get a new Currency above Gold? So even if we go through the usual-routine of 100 gold converts to a new currency, that's quite a reducing of numbers.

So 100 Gold gets converted to 1 Truesilver Coin (the next rare metal in wow)

So if you have 2 million gold, it gets converted to 20.000 Truesilver Coins. To keep the UI simple, after you reach Truesilver, copper disappear from your UI and in the auction house menu. If necessary, this can taken further in future expansions (Arcanite Coin)

This would make a squish unnecessary, since the numbers gets automatically squished with the introduction of a new currency.
    Only people bitching about gold are the people with no gold and wants to take it away from those with. (Sounds familiar)

Quote Originally Posted by xuros View Post
    Only people bitching about gold are the people with no gold and wants to take it away from those with. (Sounds familiar)
    That didn't take long.

Truesilver = TS
    Transsexual = TS

That was my only thought. It'd be amusing seeing people selling items for 100 transsexuals lol.
    My Collection
    - Bring back my damn zoom distance/MoP Portals - I read OP minimum, 1st page maximum-make wow alt friendly again -Please post constructively(topkek) -Kill myself

I'd be fine with them adding something along the lines of 1 Platinum for every 100 Gold.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Velerios View Post
    Many people are complaining that there is more and more gold in the system and naturally every expansion needs to put out more money as damage-number increases. And while there was a stat-squish, that's actually not so easy with the currency-system, because every change there would

So rather than a gold-squish, why doesn't we get a new Currency above Gold? So even if we go through the usual-routine of 100 gold converts to a new currency, that's quite a reducing of numbers.

So 100 Gold gets converted to 1 Truesilver Coin (the next rare metal in wow)

So if you have 2 million gold, it gets converted to 20.000 Truesilver Coins. To keep the UI simple, after you reach Truesilver, copper disappear from your UI and in the auction house menu. If necessary, this can taken further in future expansions (Arcanite Coin)

This would make a squish unnecessary, since the numbers gets automatically squished with the introduction of a new currency.
    Was actually thinking about this myself and I think it's the best solution to the "inflation problem". But I personally don't care since I have seen worse than WoW's current situation.

A new currency is not going to solve anything. The inflation is going to stay the same, people still have the same amount of wealth. The only solution would be a mandatory gold sink, but I can already see the outlash of both rich and poor players. Poor players because they can't affort shit they need to progress and rich players because Blizzard is forcing them to spend their hard earned gold.

I remember a few expansions ago (think it was around MoP) where people complained about players having way to much gold, but in the end Blizzard stated that the amount of players with alot of wealth didn't grow that much, people just started to notice more because the gap between poor and rich became larger. I wonder if it is still the case right now.

Deleted
    Just switching currency internally won't cure inflation.

Deleted
    Why the hype for gold or gold squish? You don't have anything to spend it on nowadays, just hoard it. Gold/money itself is worthless if you can't spend it. You can't eat it, you can't ride it etc., whether you have 10 million or 100 million if there is nothing in the economy to spend it on, it worths nothing.

Rich ppl are not rich because they have lots of money. They are rich, because they can buy expensive stuff that poor can't. Also there is no such economy in WoW as in irl. It's a static, limited world, you can't really be poor or rich, you can't buy drugs and hookers or a private spacewalk for your gold, just an other mount skin or pet. And these things give literally zero advantages in your pve or pvp performance - otherwise it would be pay to win.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gahmuret View Post
    Just switching currency internally won't cure inflation.
    It's not inflation, because vendor prices don't change day to day. It's just simple hoarding.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonol View Post
    It's not inflation, because vendor prices don't change day to day. It's just simple hoarding.
    Vendors aren't the problem; human greed is. When did you last check the auction house? Over 80 000 gold for certain pieces of transmog gear of green quality.

10+ Year Old Account
    1) What's the point, exactly? How is 5,000,000 Gold different from 50,000 TS? A 100:1 ratio isn't going to fix anything, not to mention it's not broken anyway. Are you aware that ALL money calculations are done in copper on the backend?
    2) What's the point, exactly? We're still spending the same amount of money. A different icon isn't going to change that.
    3) What's the point, exactly? Inflation is sort of fake in the game, because it's used as a currency catch-up system from expansion to expansion, so it works.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Of course the new currency won't fix inflation. This isn't the point. Mob would still drop the same amount of gold. It's just that over a certain threshold, it gets converted to the new currency (platinum or w/e). Mobs won't suddenly drop platinum either lol. They are doing a big stat squish in BfA and I believe introducing a new currency would fit the overall design well (smaller numbers). That is all and nothing more. If you don't agree with this idea, then you can't possibly agree on the next stat squish either, but they are doing it so what gives? On another note, I wish they would introduce a lot more goldsink for cosmetics. Inflation is completely retarded right now

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zathan666 View Post
    new currency would fit the overall design well (smaller numbers). That is all and nothing more.
    If you don't agree with this idea, then you can't possibly agree on the next stat squish either, but they are doing it so what gives?
    Stat squish is not cosmetic. A new currency is. So you can easily disagree with one, and not the other.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    Azerobucks.

I think they should follow Guild Wars 2's example and have a new currency for the expansion that's used to buy mostly expansion related goods. They can still have gold sinks in place but a lot of the reward systems would be centered around this currency. Do it a few times and gold won't skyrocket like it will eventually.

Regardless, they really need to do something about gold because I have no idea how any new person can afford stuff on the AH (leveling professions for instance). I recently got someone into the game and had to send them like 500g just so they wouldn't have to worry about it as much.

WoW is doing pretty good and is actually in excellent shape in terms of the inflation considering it is a MMO that has been running since 2005.

I'd rather it be called "Platinum", but it just seems like it would be pointless after all this time to do what you say.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonol View Post
    Rich ppl are not rich because they have lots of money. They are rich, because they can buy expensive stuff that poor can't. Also there is no such economy in WoW as in irl. It's a static, limited world, you can't really be poor or rich, you can't buy drugs and hookers or a private spacewalk for your gold, just an other mount skin or pet. And these things give literally zero advantages in your pve or pvp performance - otherwise it would be pay to win.
    I'm not sure if you're talking about wow or some mobile game. There's a lot of ways to spend money in wow. The obvious transfer in to battle.net balance and ever so facilitating overwatch and hots with their gacha economy with near limitless spending opportunities.

And even inside the game, apart from all of the goldsink trash sold by NPCs, no one is stopping a rich individual from rolling up to a top guild (previously transferred to their server courtesy of unlimited battle.net balance) and saying here's 50 mil gold, I want you to carry me through mythic every week for the rest of the tier. Here's a phone number you can call when you need me to be at my PC.

That would give you advantage over 99% of other player in the game, simply by the power of gold. And as long as you have more gold, you can be best (or close to it) geared char in the game for as long as you want.

So I dunno how having lots of gold is a dead weight.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gahmuret View Post
    Vendors aren't the problem; human greed is. When did you last check the auction house? Over 80 000 gold for certain pieces of transmog gear of green quality.
    It was long ago when I needed transmog from the AH.
    However:
    • it won't change your pve/pvp performance the slightest
    • you can decide if farming gold for it or farming the item itself is shorter
    • maybe it sells for that amount, because there is a market for it,
    • or maybe it's so expensive, because transmogs are account wide and you have to buy them only once
    • you will always have a guy who cuts those prices.

Again, they can shove their greed to their asses, when 10 million or 100 million gold is worthless. Do you worry about WoW tokens? That market is stuck, as you can see the price going up to the sky:
    • those who could buy it for years, already did their job, so they don't need them anymore
    • those who can't make the money for it under 1 month, won't buy it frequently
    • paying money for token and sell it for in-game gold is stuck, because as I said, there is nothing to spend your gold on, thus gold is worthless after a certain point.

Quote Originally Posted by Segus1992 View Post
    EDIT: That said, there's plenty of games (majority of korean MMOs) where there's just a single currency, and things are sold for several hundred millions or even billions. WTS X 500M or WTS X 500g aren't that different in the grand scheme of things.
    Yeah, my first MMO was a Korean grinder. Virtually nothing was soulbound, so you could find anything for sale, if you had the millions of zeny to buy it.
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by myhv View Post
    no one is stopping a rich individual from rolling up to a top guild (previously transferred to their server courtesy of unlimited battle.net balance) and saying here's 50 mil gold, I want you to carry me through mythic every week for the rest of the tier. Here's a phone number you can call when you need me to be at my PC.

That would give you advantage over 99% of other player in the game, simply by the power of gold. And as long as you have more gold, you can be best (or close to it) geared char in the game for as long as you want.
    I bet you can't name 10 ppl doing this, not even 5.

Also, what's the point to have the best gear if you don't have to move a finger to beat the content? Beating mythic is good, if you do it yourself without help, and it has a stake only if you are going for world first and/or you get paid for it. Everything else is just for your own entertainment and no one will ever recognize your name. Sorry, if I crashed your vanity and pride.