Page 1 of 19
... LastLast
    Deleted

The time when America stopped being great

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-41826022

A year ago Donald Trump produced the biggest political upset in modern-day America, but were there historical clues that pointed to his unexpected victory?

Flying into Los Angeles, a descent that takes you from the desert, over the mountains, to the outer suburbs dotted with swimming pools shaped like kidneys, always brings on a near narcotic surge of nostalgia.

This was the flight path I followed more than 30 years ago, as I fulfilled a boyhood dream to make my first trip to the United States. America had always fired my imagination, both as a place and as an idea. So as I entered the immigration hall, under the winsome smile of America's movie star president, it was hardly a case of love at first sight.

My infatuation had started long before, with Westerns, cop shows, superhero comic strips, and movies such as West Side Story and Grease. Gotham exerted more of a pull than London. My 16-year-old self could quote more presidents than prime ministers. Like so many new arrivals, like so many of my compatriots, I felt an instant sense of belonging, a fealty borne of familiarity.

Eighties America lived up to its billing, from the multi-lane freeways to the cavernous fridges, from the drive-in movie theatres to the drive-through burger joints. I loved the bigness, the boldness, the brashness. Coming from a country where too many people were reconciled to their fate from too early an age, the animating force of the American Dream was not just seductive but unshackling.

Upward mobility was not a given amongst my schoolmates. The absence of resentment was also striking: the belief success was something to emulate rather than envy. The sight of a Cadillac induced different feelings than the sight of a Rolls Royce.

It was 1984. Los Angeles was hosting the Olympics. The Soviet boycott meant US athletes dominated the medals table more so than usual. McDonald's had a scratch-card promotion, planned presumably before Eastern bloc countries decided to keep their distance, offering Big Macs, Cokes and fries if Americans won gold, silver or bronze in selected events. So for weeks I feasted on free fast food, a calorific accompaniment to chants of "USA! USA!"
    Continued in link...

Something I thought people on here would find interesting

BBC is joke journalism.

Let me know when the rest of the planet and its inhabitants land men on the moon, land rovers on mars, land probes on an asteroid 4 billion miles away from earth and launch a telescope into orbit that out performs Hubble. Until then, the rest of the world is 40 years behind the United States of America.

I could list way more things but why bother, because this alone will ruffle some feathers of citizens from failed countries.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheerbleeder View Post
    BBC is joke journalism.

Let me know when the rest of the planet and its inhabitants land men on the moon, land rovers on mars, land probes on an asteroid 4 billion miles away from earth and launch a telescope into orbit that out performs Hubble. Until then, the rest of the world is 40 years behind the United States of America.

I could list way more things but why bother, because this alone will ruffle some feathers of citizens from failed countries.
    You sound triggered over a harmless article

10+ Year Old Account
    Stories of America have always told of the "little guy" fighting the odds against the "corporations" or the "government" or the "elite" or whatever. Realistically, these have always been nothing more than stories.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Deleted
    BBC is joke journalism.

I guess you never acknowledged what Russia did, during and post Soviet era.

THough it's funny you mention these things, because as I remember it Trump hasn't exactly supported the endevours you mention... At all. In fact, I think I recall him being rather against it.
    So yeah, try and remember when you were great, because Trump ain't getting you there.

America never stopped being great. Trump's MAGA is pure bullshit.
    Last edited by Bronan; 2017-12-26 at 07:54 PM.

I mean, I'm not about to start praising the USA at any point right now, but...

The start of that article really sounds more like a blog based off of unrealistic/naive expectations.

My infatuation had started long before, with Westerns, cop shows, superhero comic strips, and movies such as West Side Story and Grease. Gotham exerted more of a pull than London. My 16-year-old self could quote more presidents than prime ministers. Like so many new arrivals, like so many of my compatriots, I felt an instant sense of belonging, a fealty borne of familiarity.
    I mean, I'll give the rest a read...but that isn't a great start.

Edit- NOW I get why you didn't quote the whole article, jesus christ that is long.
    Last edited by Jester Joe; 2017-12-26 at 07:50 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    When we Elected Trump on a technicality with 3 million less votes.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Some of Trumps attributes should be mirrored by British MP's. Especially ones such as actually voicing an opinion and not sitting on the fence. And saying it as it is.

Cry babies have another 7 years of this. They better get used to it

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    It stopped being great the moment Emotion was deemed more important than Rationality.

BBC is joke journalism.

These things are in spite of rampant anti-intellectualism.

10+ Year Old Account
    Are you like the UK version of Tennis shitting on America?

What are your thoughts on fat people and marriage?

OT America is still great we just have a cold at the moment. Our immune system will kick in soon.

This is just some romantic idea and not how America actually is.
    I mean seriously Super Heroes and Drive in burger joint What the fuck?

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    America is still great, in fact, its the greatest country in the world, but used to be greater.

Quote Originally Posted by igualitarist View Post
    America is still great, in fact, its the greatest country in the world, but used to be greater.
    In your opinion

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fonduset View Post
    In your opinion
    So please, enlighten me.

America was always great. And still is.

Sure it’s got problems, what country doesn’t. Our problems just tend to look worse because we have superiority complex. Run around telling everyone you’re the best all the time and they will spend extra time and energy pointing out your flaws.

Our problems also look worse because we have the ways and means to fix them but we can’t stop arguing over little shit long enough actually find a solution. Add in the by party voting just as an “eff you” to your opponents , and it’s even worse.
    People working 2 jobs in the US (at least one part-time) - 7.8 Million (Roughly 4.9% of the workforce)

People working 2 full-time jobs in the US - 360,000 (0.2% of the workforce)

Average time worked weekly by the US Workforce - 34.5 hours

Quote Originally Posted by igualitarist View Post
    So please, enlighten me.
    You stated the "fact" Show the proof.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    I mean, I'm not about to start praising the USA at any point right now, but...

The start of that article really sounds more like a blog based off of unrealistic/naive expectations.

I mean, I'll give the rest a read...but that isn't a great start.

Edit- NOW I get why you didn't quote the whole article, jesus christ that is long.
    TBF he said those were his impressions at 16

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Molis View Post
    Are you like the UK version of Tennis shitting on America?

What are your thoughts on fat people and marriage?

OT America is still great we just have a cold at the moment. Our immune system will kick in soon.

This is just some romantic idea and not how America actually is.
    I mean seriously Super Heroes and Drive in burger joint What the fuck?
    Actually I never gave my thoughts on this, I posted the article because Trump's America is a hot topic and Americans frequent this forum

america was great 30 years ago for sure, but I hope Trump makes it better, wont be as good as it was tho no matter what

80s were the best decade in american history by far

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-41826022

Continued in link...

Something I thought people on here would find interesting
    Read the full article. Saw the writer for what they were. A race-baiting partisan. They try to repudiate Charlottesville, and Trayvon but say nothing of why Trayvon got shot. They also embellish fantasy and claim "Nazis" as a buzzword. A well-scripted lie as well given the fact that most of the rioters were racist black people with a personal hatred for white people, and it was those bigots who were in fact the primary force engaged in the anarchistic and lawless behavior in Charlottesville.

Then again what did I or anyone else expect from the BBC?