Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Slower PvP.... WHAT?!

"As it relates to PvP, the approach we're taking right now is to slow down the pace of combat. Any time you slow it down then CC has less of an impact"

Is it just me or in the Q&A panel blizzard just said that pvp is too fast and they want CC to have less of an impact?
    Im not much of a PvP'er but are they trying to kill this game???
    Fast PvP and reactions are what differs a skilled player from another, reacting fast, thinking fast and all that. Timing the right combination of CC abilities...

What do you guys think? i know for sure this disappoints me =\

Deleted
    Lold.

there are both advantages and disadvantages when it comes to slowing down the game and related to skill. As a game gets faster it will be morelike a button bashing competition like in WOTLK, where everything is on how fast you can press your buttons. but i see your point!
    He once asked a woman to say 'NO' to him, so he could understand rejection, but she refused
    He once did an entire BG with his eyes closed, just to see how it was not to win
    He once inspected himself, just to see why everyone was following him
    He once brought no gear to an arena, just to even the odds
    If he ninjaed your gear you would brag to your friends
    His word is worth a thousand pictures
    He has his moments, all the time!
    His signature won a Pulitzer.
    The one and only Varden33

10+ Year Old Account
    well like Varden said, if its too fast it likes WOTLK pvp where you its very possible that you and sometimes several other people will die during one CC of a healer. I mean i get thats how you are supposed to do it, but it feels skillless.

Being able to consistently apply pressure while properly kiting and ccing to me is more skill then blowing someone up during a cc. Like a take a hunter for example, Right now (well before 4.0.1) MM could easily kill someone as long as a healer was cced, or they could cc themselves, then blow readiness cc again/silence and do a ton of damage at the same time.

but if the hunter can, in a slower game, kite cc and keep constant pressure on the kill target, then that seems more like skill rather then hitting 3 buttons and watching more than half of someone's hp bar disapearing.

just my 2 cents

10+ Year Old Account
    The faster PVP is, the less skill comes into play and the more likely it's going to end up a button-mashing spamfest. Slowing combat down lets people more fully utilize their abilities and at least have a half-second to think about a move before they make it.

I like the idea, personally. Seems like a good direction to take the game in.

It's to easy to zerg people and just mow them down in a faster environment. As a healer, I have to use instants to save people. Guess what, NS has a 2min CD, so they're screwed unless I have it off CD.
    Assuming that I'm in a CC and they global people. Sure, I can cast, and then they counter-spell. If I fake-cast, the thing dies.

Damage is too high and bursty.

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisgoat View Post
    Damage is too high and bursty.

IS getting changed in cata with higher health pools, so that aint a valid argument for slower pvp in cata...
    He once asked a woman to say 'NO' to him, so he could understand rejection, but she refused
    He once did an entire BG with his eyes closed, just to see how it was not to win
    He once inspected himself, just to see why everyone was following him
    He once brought no gear to an arena, just to even the odds
    If he ninjaed your gear you would brag to your friends
    His word is worth a thousand pictures
    He has his moments, all the time!
    His signature won a Pulitzer.
    The one and only Varden33

Quote Originally Posted by lazymangaka View Post
    The faster PVP is, the less skill comes into play and the more likely it's going to end up a button-mashing spamfest.
    So you're saying if somebody is too slow to react to a change, it doesn't mean they're bad?...

They don't mean slower pace as in literally slowing down the game...
    New and shiny compppppp!

If someone can disable and kill you in a few globals, does that really leave much room for skill to come into play?

If PvP slows down, it IS going to still require skill, but it will require a slightly different flavor of skill. It's going to be less about getting off a flawless opener and quickly finishing off an opponent, and more about playing as perfectly as you can so that you use up less resources than your opponent, and timing your disables for the perfect finish, like needing to estimate how low you can push a pally before he bubbles, and stun him right before he'd pop it so that you can finish him off.

Now, granted, I'm vulnerable to plenty of counter arguments here because I don't have a very strong PvP background. This is just how I see things. Is this change bad? Maybe. IS it a change? Absolutely. Will it make PvP require less skill? Probably not, but it will require skilled players to adapt to and master a new style of play.

Im guessing slower means they want to make a change than a warrior charging into an ele shammy and a destro lock and being destroyed like what happened in wrath with wizard cleaves
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Deleted
    I think one of the reasons they do it aswell is cause of more focus in rated battlegrounds.. as it is now, and before patch 4.0.1 battlegrounds were all about who got out the burst first in most cases..

Hopefully this will make bg's more fun aswell instead of just crushing people with my starfire and starfall (yes i play boomkin and i dont find it fun to just AoE people down around me.)

Quote Originally Posted by Beckers View Post
    "As it relates to PvP, the approach we're taking right now is to slow down the pace of combat. Any time you slow it down then CC has less of an impact"

Is it just me or in the Q&A panel blizzard just said that pvp is too fast and they want CC to have less of an impact?
    Im not much of a PvP'er but are they trying to kill this game???
    Fast PvP and reactions are what differs a skilled player from another, reacting fast, thinking fast and all that. Timing the right combination of CC abilities...

What do you guys think? i know for sure this disappoints me =\
    PVP is fine, i enjoy getting 2 shotted by arcane mages.

Faster PVP greatly accentuates the difference in certainl classes gcd's. Less burst IE slower pvp opens up combat for more classes and allows everyone a better chance to prevail.
    I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you are looking for ransom, I can tell you I don't have money; but what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I've acquired over a very long career, skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you let my daughter go now that will be the end of it. I will not look for you, i will not pursue you but if you don't; I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you.

I love PvP in a sense that you can fight to the death for 5 minutes rather than getting blown to smithereens in a few seconds by certain different classes (Wrath style).

I think you're taking the wrong message. The faster PvP is, the less forgiving mistakes are, especially positioning mistakes in arena. Consider how quickly and easily you can die out of position against a wizard cleave. That's not to say it doesn't require skill--in fact, many would argue that this means that it requires more, and I think anyone who has done arenas in TBC and WOTLK will agree that it was much, much harder to get Gladiator in Wrath(ignoring ridiculousness like S5 DKs). Part of that is there are less people participating, but part of it is that it's just harder.

A slower game isn't necessarily a less skillful game, but it would be inherently more forgiving.

globaling things in a shadowfury or blanket silence or scatter shot is HARDLY SKILL. that is what they are refering to. pvp will require fast reaction times still, just not trinket in .01 seconds or someone dies.

to elaborate further, that is not "timing and the right combination of CC abilities" when ANY SHORT TERM CC on a healer = someone dying if they don't blow a big defensive CD. it's been ruining the PVP scene all expansion, and I am glad to see it go.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    If [the dps] are on the wrong target, then they are playing badly and should be corrected and / or mocked, depending on how you roll.

Plan going well looks slowed down to me ...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZH3ffQMNKg

lol, yes, cause the fact that they want to remove the virtual instagib of people is a bad thing
    Warning - while you were typing 50 new replies have been posted. You may wish to review your post.

15+ Year Old Account
    ya like others have said.

your going to see a lot less "bursty" style of pvp we have now.

i think it will just open it up for different specs to have the ability to compete in pvp now. besides, some classes have more "control" then others, and this helps balance it out a bit better.

10+ Year Old Account
    That response was aimed mainly at the ENDLESS qq about CC-comps that was flowing in daily. Since comps like RMP and MLD revolve around keeping people CC'd for almost 80% of the match, the solution is to make matches longer (i.e. slower) so CC has less of an impact. Basically in Season 9 (lvl 85), if you catch the healer in a 10 sec Polymorph his partner should NOT go from 100-0 in those 10 seconds if he uses some defensives. In S8 PvP you could essentially pop Bloodlust and kill someone in a Shadowfury (on the target) + Spell Lock (on the healer).
    That's just stupid and I'm glad it's going away.

But since the effects of burst damage are going down, burst HEALING (yep, healing) will also be going down. In S8, you could get someone to 10%, then suddenly they would be back to 60% in one Penance or Holy Shock crit. In S9 at 85, that should no longer be happening. It will take work to wear someone's health down, and it will take work for the healer to bring that health back.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze