Page 18 of 47 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    great post very well written

There is no fight in Vanilla or BC harder than the ones in Wrath raids. Just name one.

10+ Year Old Account
    After ditching WoTLK when ToC came out, I must say...Cata is looking incredibly enticing. I raided Vanilla, BC, and early WoTLK and I loved BC the most. Cata looks to be a throwback and I love that. Heres also hoping Tol Barad lives up to Quel'Danas.

thanks for tips.
    woltk did have very hard endgame though by the end of x-pac anything under icc became faceroll mode. bosses in icc however were fairly well tuned and most people still haven't killed lk
    the problem with wrath was dungeons
    at start dungeons were to weak and heroics were barely tuned enough. in the last 5 months heroics are effectively steamroll due to the fact that tanks now can do more dps then a dps could at start of x-pac healers can keep a tank up to end of fight easily without going below 80% mana and dps can tare apart bosses before mechanics come into effect i unlike some dont find being able to get 2ed highest teir through dungeons because from my experiance in tbc all that the many teir mode did was hold the new players down because i found

60% 20% 5% 15%
    heroics t4 t5 t6
    which really made trying to progress t5 a real nasty piece of work

also i look forward to new dungons and raids based on the fact that they look like they have harder and slightly fewer trash. aoe fests dont really help skill. they only add time mindlessly spamming (insert name of aoe spell here)
    Last edited by warlocked; 2010-11-29 at 12:49 AM.

To top that with some BG basics:
    bg4dummies.blogspot.com/2009/11/camp-their-graveyard-keep-three-bases.html

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daetur View Post
    2.) Conserve your mana! Mana is not going to last you anywhere near as long in Cata as it does now. Learn which heals are the most efficient, and get a feel for how much each one heals for. Knowing which heal to use when will be essential. AoE heal spam will not cut it anymore.
    The very sad truth, is that telling a healer to use their most efficient heals isn't enough. True story (long ago), I was tanking Mauradon on either my druid or paladin and the priest was always running out of mana. I use xperl and could see him constantly casting flash heal, so I told him that he should wait for slightly more damage on the players he was healing and use greater heal or heal instead because they are more efficient. His reply was that flash heal costs less mana than those and I didn't know what I was talking about. When I tried to explain how to figure out how efficient a heal is, he responded with something to the effect of not playing WoW to go to school.

On another note, it has long been a stigma of the WoW player-base to treat low level dungeons like group questing rather than places to learn how to complete end game content. If you were to try to explain to a dps why they shouldn't be running rampant, attacking any mob in range, you'd get a reply like, "This is RFC nub." It's never too early to learn the skills outlined in this post.

Deleted
    Thank god for having more than 5 friends that I have been playing with since the start of BC. Dungeon runs are gonna be fun!

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    Just wanted to say thanks for the thread. Very well done and well worth reading for many players that came along in WotLK.

Deleted
    4.) Learn about your classes’ Crowd Control (CC) abilities
    and
    4.a.) Don’t break the sheep!
    For the love of God YES! I am not exaggerating in the slightest when i say that some people who never played before Wrath don't even know what CC is.

I was in a group for heroic HoR with 2 friends recently, and we decided to fight the first 2 trash waves in the open, using CC, because it's less claustrophobic than LoS'ing everything, and we had done it the previous day and it had worked fine (and fast). I was protadin, with a glyphed Turn Evil, my friends were priest and druid, and the others were hunter and warrior. There was more than enough CC to control the bulk of each wave easily. I called what each person was CC'ing, and kill order, before we started - everyone confirmed fine, except for the warrior, which I think is fine, since he doesn't have any CC responsibilities anyway. We start, everyone CCs, then it all goes to hell - all the CC targets break free, we wipe, the hunter leaves.

Flying back (on our incredibly slow, bugged spirit mounts), the warrior asks "What's CC?"

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    Top post.

Quote Originally Posted by MoFalcon View Post
    Cata will separate the "WotLK players" from the rest.

what I mean is if you started playing at the end of BC you didn't experience the "real" raids. The real raids where you had 40 people in it and 10 were on crowd control.

this will be refreshing and is much needed in the game today. WotLk players will have to L2P all over again. Even if you don't think you will, you will !

/cantwait

EDIT*
    TY for the post. IF just one person reads it and gets it, it is worth it.
    Good players always keep learning, it's the bad ones that don't want to learn and just spam buttons to get gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Brakthir View Post
    There is no fight in Vanilla or BC harder than the ones in Wrath raids. Just name one.
    So i can compare all TBC encounters to all wrath fights? Or are you just refering to a few Wrath hardmodes?
    Last edited by ohlins; 2010-11-29 at 12:52 AM.

Best post evar! Be gud ppl!

Because you have already stated you are speaking from experience, not from what you have been told right? Just give it a rest.

I presume you're talking about HMLK and HM Mimiron pre nerf -- both of which are extremely difficult.

The problem is that the drop off from those fights to any of the other "challenging" encounters of WOTLK was too severe. Dungeons were even more of a joke, as they are supposed to prepare people for the basics of raiding, but in this xpac, they taught people how to spam their aoe spells and nothing more.

BC and Vanilla raids had their own difficult encounters, but the difficulty of all the instance encounters was, on average, more challenging than what we've experienced in this xpac.

Citing the case of one or two different encounters that a very slim amount of people experienced does not make a strong argument for .... what exactly?

10+ Year Old Account
    Thank you for posting this. Very nicely said all around. I hope all of my guildies come and read this. Some of them really need it. >.>
    -
    Standing in fire since December 2004.

Deleted
    4HM naxx40

I win.

Just asked guildies for Vanilla experience. I experienced all other BC fights. The difficulty in 4HM Naxx was more in getting 8 geared warrior tanks in full tier 2 than anything else. So point moot.

I'm talking about hard mode fights compared to the fights in Vanilla and BC. Normal encounters, with a few exceptions, were a joke, agreed, but hard mode fights on some bosses were definitely not. Wrath did make it easier for casuals to raid, but they did make certain bosses extremely challenging. Name the top 5 hardest non bugged encounters in Vanilla, and the top 5 in wrath will probably outdo them in difficulty.

Quote Originally Posted by Avell View Post
    4HM naxx40

I win.
    The pain... GO AWAY

Deleted
    you forgot click on the lightwell!