Blacksmithing question

So I just powerleveled to 600, and I have some questions.

Now what? It doesnt seem like I can do a lot for profit, but I could be wrong. What do I do to get recipes? What recipes are essential?
    I dont know where to go and I was hoping you guys can make me feel like I didnt blow ~4k-ish for nothing..
    Quote Originally Posted by xannax2780 View Post
    It's called balancing.
    Maybe you should try balancing the large cup of QQ in your left hand with a big mug of STFU in your right.
    Just sayn'

10+ Year Old Account
    At this point in time, I suppose you could start making balanced trillium ingots for 553 belts and pants. Takes about 28 ignots for pants and 21 for belts. This is on a daily CD unless you have Spirits of War (DE'd from raid gear, normal or higher I think).

Alternatively you could Lightning Steel ingots which are used in crafting vanity weapons from the BC era. Initially these are 463 ilv but can be upgraded twice to 502 ilv. Also note that Lightning Steel is on a daily CD as well.

That's about it. Not the profession I would have picked for making gold but to each his own.
    ---
    Don't be a victim of IFOWISNAWL!
    Call 800-Calm-The-F-Down, Operators are standing by. Now taking calls on all your Legion worries.

Well shit, so I just wasted a bunch of gold for something relatively useless?

Where do I get those 553 drops? Because for one, Im interested in making the pants, and two, I note that they sell for 3k-8k a pop, which is good.

So roughly each one takes 3/4 weeks for each, assuming Im diligent?

I had the understanding that I wuld learn a recipe each time I make a balanced ingot, but I did not...am I missing something? IT was my first time, if that makes a difference.

So besides the living steel belt buckels, theres nothin really profitable? :/
    Quote Originally Posted by xannax2780 View Post
    It's called balancing.
    Maybe you should try balancing the large cup of QQ in your left hand with a big mug of STFU in your right.
    Just sayn'

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah the recipes for all of 553 epics are learned from the daily CD. The accelerated balance ingot (which uses a spirit of war) only gives you an extra ingot (no recipes learned).
    ---
    Call 800-Calm-The-F-Down, Operators are standing by. Now taking calls on all your Legion worries.

10+ Year Old Account
    Felsteel longblades are the most requested item I have. If you can get the pattern for cheap, I recommend crafting these.

Enchanted thorium pieces are another desired thing but I don't think people can get those patterns anymore. Blacksmithing can be a very profitable profession if you have the patterns to back it. Along with a keen understanding of your server's xmog market. On an RP server, I tend to be able to make a lot of gold off vanilla and BC patterns.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Chozo View Post
    Humans Paladins don't have "a lot of lore" behind them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sett View Post
    Enchanted thorium pieces are another desired thing but I don't think people can get those patterns anymore. Blacksmithing can be a very profitable profession if you have the patterns to back it. Along with a keen understanding of your server's xmog market. On an RP server, I tend to be able to make a lot of gold off vanilla and BC patterns.
    Well the unfortunate news is that some patterns are no longer in the game. So a freshly minted lv 90 BS is a bit screwed there, unless you can get the plans off the BMAH?

I do agree though the Xmog market does seem to be profitable but I've found it hard to gauge effort vs reward on what items are "popular". Corrupted Ashbringer excluded of course.
    ---

Quote Originally Posted by Alroxas View Post
    Well the unfortunate news is that some patterns are no longer in the game. So a freshly minted lv 90 BS is a bit screwed there, unless you can get the plans off the BMAH?

I do agree though the Xmog market does seem to be profitable but I've found it hard to gauge effort vs reward on what items are "popular". Corrupted Ashbringer excluded of course.
    Still stunned how many people do zero research before investing this kind of work.

Yeah, farm TBC for patterns or roll another profession Blacksmithing has only need good for two things post TBC, belt buckles and grearing alts. The latter only really works for a few levels now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hakujinbakasama View Post
    Still stunned how many people do zero research before investing this kind of work.

Yeah, farm TBC for patterns or roll another profession Blacksmithing has only need good for two things post TBC, belt buckles and grearing alts. The latter only really works for a few levels now.
    Please do share your insights into where one would go about "researching" in-demand transmog items which are entirely dependent on the "whims" of players.

Certainly patterns that are no longer in game (and the items for those patterns) would be in "high" demand BUT a newly minted BS can't learn them.
    ---

10+ Year Old Account
    I've never really seen BS as a "profitable" profession. Its useful for the two extra sockets (this is huge if you want to min/max) and to be able to craft 553 items, but there's not much to be had in the way of money-making. I think the previous posters have covered it pretty nicely.

Crafting is very powerful in wod since you ca ake raid quality ENTIRE armor sets and weapons which can all socket proc, pristine proc, or both so keep it. Big money in WoD throughout the expansion.

Make the Thunder Isle crafts Mog money > SoO pants

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    Crafting is very powerful in wod since you ca ake raid quality ENTIRE armor sets and weapons which can all socket proc, pristine proc, or both so keep it. Big money in WoD throughout the expansion.

Make the Thunder Isle crafts Mog money > SoO pants
    Depends on how lucky you get with learning recipes and if your craftable armor is/isn't limited by daily CDs. Additionally SoO pants seem like a poor investment when the same iLv pants could drop from Celestials (and those are tier pants). Better to use the balanced trillium bars to make the 553 belts.

Isle of Thunder xmogs are ok but do take quite a while to make because of the daily CDs.
    ---

Dragonstrike, Reborn

Thats my money maker, that and the Avenger's Trillium Waistplate and or legs seem to be the only other things that sell on my server.

I can rake in 12-16k for the epic dragonstrike healing mace, seems like its always selling

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeWildest View Post
    Dragonstrike, Reborn
    Just FYI for the OP, this item (along with all the other BC-like xmogs) require the following:

• 30 Lightning Steel Ingots (= 300 Ghost Iron bars = 600 Ghost Iron Ore) which is on a daily CD and you can only make them at the Thunder Forge (on the Isle of Thunder)
    • 14 Living Steel Ingots (= 6 Trillium Bars using alchemist daily CD or 3 Trillium Bars with 3 Spirits of Harmony with no daily CD)
    • 18 Spirits of Harmony (= 180 Motes of Harmony)

Now the Living Steel can have a reduced number of daily CDs needed if Alchemist has transmute mastery. Even then, the process takes roughly 30 days per item, mostly because Lightning Steel Ingots are still BoP. Also note that the intermediate items (Dragonmaw and Drakefist Hammer) have to retain their unbound state in order to be upgraded to the next version. Not sure if you can just buy someone else's Drakefist Hammer and turn it into a Dragonmaw.

I hope like Imperial Silk that the zone requirement for making the LS Ingots are removed in WoD/6.0 but then again Dark Iron can only be made at Black Forge in BRD.

Edit: Nevermind on the location requirement for the LS Ingots, apparently they did change that but I never noticed.
    Last edited by Alroxas; 2014-07-20 at 08:25 PM.
    ---

Unless I've woke up in parallel universe, I'm pretty sure I've made all my Lightning Steel Ingots at Halfhill forge, only weapons themselves have to be made at IoT.