Thread: Mage math?

Mage math?

Hey, guys

I'm going to be maiming my Mage in wod and I would like better understand Mage of dps. With that being said I was wondering if someone would list or link the math formulas used in Mage dps. My current understanding of the math is noobish. My Mage currently is frost spec with heroic exp. For wod I'm very open to spec's (whatever I find fun). I have wod beta access and would like to test the math.

To clarify my current main is a prot paladin (14/14 H )

Read the stuff on Altered Time or hang around in the mage IRC and you'll learn most of it.

I wasn't looking for a rotation or anything. Anybody can read icey veins. I'm looking X + T(A%) = Z (dmg)

Deleted
    What exactly are you looking for?
    DPET values?

Quote Originally Posted by Rigwaltz View Post
    I wasn't looking for a rotation or anything. Anybody can read icey veins. I'm looking X + T(A%) = Z (dmg)
    Who said anything about the IV guide? Altered Time has several theory craft threads with indepth maths, and the IRC chat is always alive with theory discussion.

You know like spell power + frostblot x shatter(crit%) = whatever dmg. Int to spell power = whatever dmg. I read all these post with math explaining why one ability greater than another. I don't know where some of these formulas come from. Want to be able put my stats and prove it myself. I want to be able to know if someone is correct or incorrect in their math. Right now, I have no idea. I need the basics so that I understand how these abilities affect my spells and dmg.

Deleted
    You know like spell power + frostblot x shatter(crit%) = whatever dmg. Int to spell power = whatever dmg. I read all these post with math explaining why one ability greater than another. I don't know where some of these formulas come from. Want to be able put my stats and prove it myself. I want to be able to know if someone is correct or incorrect in their math. Right now, I have no idea. I need the basics so that I understand how these abilities affect my spells and dmg.
    I'm not sure if I'm allowed to link it (it's on topic though), but as durrty said: http://altered-time.com/forum/

This is where the people who make the mage simcraft module hang out, and where (most) of the theorycrafting for mages is done. Also #alteredtime on irc.quakenet, and #simcraft on irc.stratics.com.
    Last edited by mmoc130aeee1c6; 2014-07-31 at 08:05 AM.

Deleted
    I am not really sure what the OP is looking for and with risk to sound like a douche ill say it (i believe you know this anyway, but still...) - did you bothered to look at the spell tooltips that are on your own action bar?
    I am saying this, because nowdays in the spell tooltip is written exactly how much damage the spell will do with you current gear. That tooltip scale dynamically according to the procs you might get or/and the buffs you are using.

Yes there is some formula like (1+x% spellpower)+xxx damage, but i believe the most easy way too see how much dmg a single cast will do is simply by looking the tooltip of the said spell on your own character, beause, again that damage written there is according your current gear you wear. Also the critical stirike bonus damage is set in stone since 2 expansions to 200% (if your spell hit for 1k, it might crit for 2k), with few exceptions here and there, but again written in the tooltip of the said spell. Also from mage point of view there are some spells, brightest example are Ice Lance and 90% of the arcane spec damaging spells, that do way more damage than its written when a specific condition occur. But again that is written explicitly in the tooltip of the spell and again dynamically updated.

The proper math that i think you actually need is maybe the math about the breakpoints. However that thing will be removed in WoD so it will matter not
    Last edited by mmoc0c907153ea; 2014-07-31 at 08:33 AM.

Ok, didn't alter time was a website.... Thought you were talking about the ability.... Sorry durrtygoodz and thanks dutch. Yeah, deithy I know about the tool tips. It just some dude ask about something in beta with crazy formula and bliz corrected his him. I was like where the hell did that come from?