Deleted

WoD - tanks in PvP prediction

I am always very much enjoying playing a tank class role in PvP, mostly because not many people actually do it. I was looking at the WoD tank changes (tank damage not based on Resolve/Vengeance yay!) and I was wondering which tank would be most performant in PvP, arenas and BGs.

The two most valid choices seem either Protection warrior or Guardian druid:
    • Guardian druid
      • + Great mobility because of shapeshifting, travel form, feral charge and skull bash. Combined with stealth this is a very strong combo in arenas.
      • + Passive mastery that reduces melee damage, so also works when stunned/feared/...
      • + Reactive mitigation Frenzied regeneration to instantly recover lost health (reactive is better than pro-active is in PvP damage is not always easy to predict).
      • - Thick Hide reduces magic damage by only 10%.
    • Protection warrior
      • + Great mobility because of Charge, Leap and Safeguard
      • - Active mastery that increases chance to block, not usable when stunned/feared
      • - Proactive mitigation Shield Barrier
      • + Defensive stance reduces magic damage by 20%, which can be even improved to 25% with a talent.

What is my fellow PvP tank's take on these points? Which class do you reckon has the strongest PvP toolset? Or do you expect any of the other tank classes to perform well in PvP? Deathknight have typically performed well, but I fear they will be too vulnerable to casters, but that depends on the strength of casters.
    Last edited by mmocfafac1b51e; 2014-09-16 at 05:09 PM.

Deleted
    Probably, Gladiator Warrior, it seems to be the only pvp spec Warriors have in WoD that doesnt utterly fail at the most basic levels of gameplay, not exactly a tank however.

10+ Year Old Account
    For rbgs I can still see guardians being top. They have not lost much from mop apart from symbi and might of ursoc

Guardians probably still main RBG tanks, with prot warriors possibly making a comeback.

Blood DKs might become the bane of 2v2 again, and prot pala might end up being pretty awesome in 3s for certain comps.

7+ Year Old Account
    I miss one shotting under geared shitters with shield slam in wrath.

Quote Originally Posted by Illiterate View Post
    For rbgs I can still see guardians being top. They have not lost much from mop apart from symbi and might of ursoc
    They lost massive amounts of armor (75% dropped to 43%) and the flat 12% less physical dmg taken passive removed. They also take 50% more dmg all the time and this does stack with all the dmg taken debuffs in rbg's. Their flat magic dmg taken passive changed from 25% to 10%, barkskin now a 1 min cd si only lasts 6 secs and now has 20% less hp. I don't really see what you would want any tank for in wod rbg's as all of them got nerfs like this.

Mobility is all guardians have at this point.
    Last edited by Wow; 2014-09-16 at 10:21 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by wow View Post
    They lost massive amounts of armor (75% dropped to 43%) and the flat 12% less physical dmg taken passive removed. They also take 50% more dmg all the time and this does stack with all the dmg taken debuffs in rbg's. Their flat magic dmg taken passive changed from 25% to 10%, barkskin now a 1 min cd si only lasts 6 secs and now has 20% less hp. I don't really see what you would want any tank for in wod rbg's as all of them got nerfs like this.

Mobility is all guardians have at this point.
    Isn't it (currently) only 25% more damage that tanks take in PvP in WoD? By the way, also their DPS/healer counterparts had the same defensive skills nerfed.

Basically all tanks have been nerfed and some skills taken away, and the big question is whether they will end up strong or as some gimped DPS (75% of normal DPS Blizzard mentioned), without utility and slightly tankier than a normal DPS.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by vexew View Post
    Probably, Gladiator Warrior, it seems to be the only pvp spec Warriors have in WoD that doesnt utterly fail at the most basic levels of gameplay, not exactly a tank however.
    Gladiator Stance is NOT a tank spec. It's not in any way tankier than Arms. It won't enable you to have a better performance than Arms. It also doesn't have access to Recklessness.

Gladiator is a gimick spec for career pve tanks who want to pve dps, so they don't need to get the gear for it also.

Quote Originally Posted by yehyehyehyeh View Post
    Isn't it (currently) only 25% more damage that tanks take in PvP in WoD?
    It was 25% but it was changed to 50% a few builds ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhaeven View Post
    Gladiator Stance is NOT a tank spec. It's not in any way tankier than Arms. It won't enable you to have a better performance than Arms. It also doesn't have access to Recklessness.

Gladiator is a gimick spec for career pve tanks who want to pve dps, so they don't need to get the gear for it also.
    Gear is shared in WoD, just need a two-hander (or two) to go DPS.

Quote Originally Posted by Gigana View Post
    Guardians probably still main RBG tanks, with prot warriors possibly making a comeback.

Blood DKs might become the bane of 2v2 again, and prot pala might end up being pretty awesome in 3s for certain comps.
    Finally we get a chance in pvp.

Not fair that druids, warriors and paladins get the full effect of their "block" mechanics, while blood dks are completely cripped because their "blocks" are reduced by stupid healing reduction

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by wow View Post
    It was 25% but it was changed to 50% a few builds ago.
    50%?
    Balance it by reducing damage done by dps specs by 50% then

Blizzard's retarded idea of "lets keep over half the game dps only" is getting real old real fast.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rhaeven View Post

Higher armor due to wearing a shield and bonus armor gear.
    I agree it isn't near being a tank spec, but it is a little bit tankier than arms.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    Just because Mannoroth and Archimonde are involved doesn't mean it's Legion. They could just be on vacation, demolishing Draenor to build their new summer home.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dundebuns View Post
    Did you know that salt has sodium and chlorine in it!!!! Sodium explodes when exposed to atmosphere and you clean your toilets with chlorine!!

Wouldn't be surprised if feral ends up being superior to guardian.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Skarssen View Post
    Wouldn't be surprised if feral ends up being superior to guardian.
    Blizzard is trying to make tanks 'balanced' in PvP, but as far as I can tell from what I saw of WoD so far, tanks will be less tanky than many DPS specs.