Thread: Frost vs Unholy

Frost vs Unholy

Which does better constant dps?

Quote Originally Posted by Hunterfreshness View Post
    With 100% uptime on boss single target, they are pretty equal but 2-hand frost should be on top (according to sims)
    On everything else, the answer is Unholy.

http://simulationcraft.org/

Review this and logs/personal experience for best answer

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunterfreshness View Post
    The one you feel most comfortable with.

I'm playing with both. Unholy can really pwn the meters for overall damage but frost can kick unholy's boss damage if thats what you are told for focus on.

If you are told swap to adds, cleave adds instead of just full on nuking a boss go unholy. if you are just full nuking a boss and maybe swapping to say 1 add that dies really quick Frost will win.

But they are fairly close so play whatever really generally unholy is leading on most fights though.

I am sitting on 660 ilvl right now, just simmed my char and the difference is 1.4k DPS, frost > unholy.

Jesus, is that really it ?!?!?

How is the downtime doing? Last time I tried was pretty bad, had alot of downtime Any advice?

TY!

Yeah, Plague Leech. Nothing else to be done. Still a lot of downtime for 2H. DW is OK, with PLeech.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Schizoide View Post
    Yeah, Plague Leech. Nothing else to be done. Still a lot of downtime for 2H. DW is OK, with PLeech.
    Isn't DW pretty bad though since there isn't alot of mastery gear with another good stat, atleast afaik. Btw do you know why every DW DK goes bloodtap? Aren't the passives any good for DW but works for 2H or what's up with that

But even with this downtime, dps will go higher as it shows on simulation? I will pub some bosses and try it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Hallonsaft4 View Post
    Isn't DW pretty bad though since there isn't alot of mastery gear with another good stat, atleast afaik. Btw do you know why every DW DK goes bloodtap? Aren't the passives any good for DW but works for 2H or what's up with that
    It's tough to tell from warcraftlogs because it doesn't separate DW and 2H frost in the rankings. DW does sim a bit lower, but that doesn't mean a whole heck of a lot. Many Frost DKs use BT because it sims slightly higher.

Quote Originally Posted by Spagetto View Post
    What is everyone's experience with Frost vs Unholy DPS in proving grounds? Every DK ahead of me seems to be Unholy, is it the AOE? Or is Burst better for the Sha bosses with Gargoyle and Dark Transformation?
    Unholy's AoE is far, far better than Frost's.

Sims are good to look at if you already have BiS. If you want to know what has the potential to do the highest dps for the gear you have, you will need to sim yourself in each spec. For example my DK sims higher being DW even though it's lowest on the sim dps for BiS. It's all about what gear you currently have and which spec you are most comfortable with that will lead to you pulling higher numbers.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Theharbinger View Post
    Sims are good to look at if you already have BiS. If you want to know what has the potential to do the highest dps for the gear you have, you will need to sim yourself in each spec. For example my DK sims higher being DW even though it's lowest on the sim dps for BiS. It's all about what gear you currently have and which spec you are most comfortable with that will lead to you pulling higher numbers.
    Absolutely this, im the same, unholy sims lowest on single target patchwerk fights but higher than both frost specs on all others, however i will still play unholy on butcher since im far more comfortable with the playstyle so the the 600 dps difference would probably be lost in error margins of not playing frost all the time.

People need to learn to use simcraft and stop focusing on the the patchwerk parses on the home page, its so easy now with the wonderful work that has been done with the GUI,