As a ret what am I supposed to do on Ko'ragh?

I keep getting kicked from groups because they see my dps as 5-8k. I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Armory: eu . battle . net/wow/en/character/mazrigos/Yardu/advanced

Single target on a fight like butcher I pull 24k dps all the way through. On a fight like Ko'ragh, which absorbs my damage I'm getting 5-8k. Raid leader told me not to go to the shield when the boss is recovering it, yet videos say for me to get close to it and melee dps the boss with my burst. However I can't get that close without reaching the shield. I've tried empowered seals, FV and sera. Sera was the biggest dps increase but I've read that it's good that I do magic damage to remove the absorb. If that's good, why do I keep getting kicked from groups several times a week on that boss for low dps? I'm not complaining, I'm just extremely confused about what to do on this boss and video guides aren't really helping. No one even tells me what I'm doing wrong either, it's just "you suck, l2p". Gee, thanks.

Rets who aren't getting kicked from groups on this boss, what do you do?
    Last edited by Yardu; 2014-12-18 at 12:24 AM.

The people who kick you because you register low DPS on Ko'ragh are people who don't understand how the fight works or how WoW handles Absorption mechanics.

You are still doing your normal damage, but because WoW registers damage on Absorb shields as "Absorb" rather than actual damage, it looks like you're doing almost nothing. Especially if you take Final Verdict, which puts your magic damage somewhere around 85% of your damage out.

That damage doesn't just evaporate, you are actively pushing the Nullification Barrier down. The more magic damage you do, the faster it goes down, which means the more often the boss is in vulnerability and the more people can charge their nullification barriers (over time) to absorb the orbs dropping from the sky.

Laugh at groups who complain about magic damage dealers doing low damage on Ko'ragh and wish them happy trails, you didn't want to be in their groups anyway.

Skada doesn't show how much dmg you do on the absorb shield. The RL was stupid.

Also, FV can reach from the outside of the shield.

Well first off, recount doesn't factor in absorbs. So for this fight using it to determine who is pulling their weight is just ignorance. Ret actually performs well on Ko'ragh. Spec FV so all your attacks do holy damage and save cool downs for when he's in the center. Skada works for this fight.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Resne View Post
    Laugh at groups who complain about magic damage dealers doing low damage on Ko'ragh and wish them happy trails, you didn't want to be in their groups anyway.
    What he said.
    Be glad you don't have to continue with them, cause they got 0 clue about the fight then.
    8k DPS seems quite nice for you. I would keep you anytime in my group!

If you however wants to be in a group like that, tell the leader before you pull, that Ret's do mostly Magical damage, hence your low DPS.

Quote Originally Posted by mrand01 View Post
    There's actually about a 2-3 yard window just outside of the shield from which you can still be considered in melee range.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Your raid leader needs to read up the tactics and pay attention to the boss rather than his DPS meter, no offence if you know him personally but he sounds like a wanker.

10+ Year Old Account
    if you log with warcraftlogs next time a raid leader calls you out cause he is an idiot, give him the link and bathe in his confusion.

Seriously though.

People is stupid. There is a reason I no longer has ingame damage meter, I have 2 screens one has warcraftlogs open the other the game.
    Plus then shitty damage meters in game won't kill my performance.
    Inactive Wow Player Raider.IO | Inactive D3 Player | Permanent Retired EVE Player | Inactive Wot Player | Retired Openraid Raid Leader| Inactive Overwatch Player | Inactive HotS player | Youtube / Twitter | Steam | My Setup

Didn't know that, figured it was an FV specific thing. Good to know!
    It's very hard to hit with any precision if you don't already know it's there, but next time you do the fight, wait until someone gets marked and inch closer and closer. The shield will throw you back if you go too far, but you'll reach melee range before that happens.

if you update skada, it now does show the damage...

Deleted

It does since today, or even earlier.

Explain to them how much magical damage you do. Also explain the mechanics of the shield, because anyone kicking you for low dps does not understand at least one of these things.

You're doing magical damage, and there's nothing wrong with that. With Final Verdict you'll really do mostly magic damage.

Some people just think of you as melee and have some prejudices about that, even though certain specs have been doing a big proportion of magical damage in melee for a few expansions now.

OP ain't wrong.

If you want to make up your deficit on the meters, pop wings with Holy Avenger and blast the hell out of Kor'agh during the adds phase. I wouldn't do this though, it would be shirking my adds duty in my melee dominated raid.

So can everything else. You just have to hump the shield pretty hard. Melee and CS will reach as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by UcanDoSht View Post
    It does since today, or even earlier.
    It never has for me, but my group understands. Also, you can HoW when the shield gets below 35%, which is pretty cool .

10+ Year Old Account
    Find groups that don't have a braindead raid leader, if they ask about your low dps explain to them that ret's damage is primarily magic. If they still bug you about it then they're a special kind of stupid that you really don't want to be in group with.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

Deleted
    As ret, you should just stay on the boss all the time. You can DPS him when he's charging his shield, even with melee, so it's fine. There's no way to avoid getting low DPS on the meters this fight, but if you stay on the boss properly and use cooldown etc when he's in the middle, you should still be able to do better than 8k.

Your pug leader doesn't know how to play the game

Deleted
    Always dps. That's all you need to do